News   May 10, 2024
 73     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 556     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 843     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

That's a a pretty one-buttocked attempt at TOD. It includes two buildings at the corner but not two more just beside them. And what about the solid block of bungalows across the road? I suppose they'll leave that up to private speculators. Or are bungalows 200 feet from a subway station untouchable elements of a "stable neighborhood" ?

That's a a pretty one-buttocked attempt at TOD. It includes two buildings at the corner but not two more just beside them. And what about the solid block of bungalows across the road? I suppose they'll leave that up to private speculators. Or are bungalows 200 feet from a subway station untouchable elements of a "stable neighborhood" ?
This is the only released concept art of the potential design:
1697755515729.png

The short building to the right is on the south west corner of McCowan and Lawrence. It is the proposed subway and bus station.

The three towers are on the south east corner of McCowan and Lawrence in the following property (with additional labels to be abundantly clear):
1697755957517.png

I don't understand your gripe. This site is adjacent to a hospital, and a future station for subway and express bus services. It deserves some density. The proposed MTSA (which I've not seen drawn out yet for this station) will likely include everything within a 5 minute walk of the station. Yes, there is a high likelihood private developers will eventually purchase SFH properties and assemble land for new high density developments. This is just the beginning of intensification. There's no reason for the government to go through this process when there is a privately owned lot across the street, which they can repurpose with a lot less upheaval and controversy.

This is the only released concept art of the potential design:
View attachment 514209
The short building to the right is on the south west corner of McCowan and Lawrence. It is the proposed subway and bus station.

The three towers are on the south east corner of McCowan and Lawrence in the following property (with additional labels to be abundantly clear):
View attachment 514210

I don't understand your gripe. This site is adjacent to a hospital, and a future station for subway and express bus services. It deserves some density. The proposed MTSA (which I've not seen drawn out yet for this station) will likely include everything within a 5 minute walk of the station. Yes, there is a high likelihood private developers will eventually purchase SFH properties and assemble land for new high density developments. This is just the beginning of intensification. There's no reason for the government to go through this process when there is a privately owned lot across the street, which they can repurpose with a lot less upheaval and controversy.

So where is the station gonna be, where the old gas station was across the street, or will the station be on the side of the buildings

My gripe is that we need lots more density around the stations for this boondoggle to make any environmental sense. What are they building above the large purple area where the station is? This government wanted to pave chunks of the greenbelt but won't spend any more political capital than to replace a strip mall with apartments.

One change from past stations is that all the elevators appear to be twinned!

It's good to see knockout panels at Sheppard East station for both future Line 4 and the EELRT on the architectural drawings!

I'm surprised to see that both Scarborough Centre station and Lawrence East station have 2 platforms.

At Lawrence East the platforms are 30.35 metres below grade (south entrance grade). That's deep - what's the deepest station currently on the system? Looks as though it will be one long escalator to the concourse then two more to get out the doors. Though I expect many use a tunnel to the bus terminal.

Last edited:
At Lawrence East the platforms are 30.35 metres below grade (south entrance grade). That's deep - what's the deepest station currently on the system? Looks as though it will be one long escalator to the concourse then two more to get out the doors. Though I expect many use a tunnel to the bus terminal.
One of the North York Stations of Lawrence, Don Mills, Bayview, or York Mills.

Judging by the Ontario Line and Eglinton West designs, this will be the standard for future subway stations.
It's good to see knockout panels at Sheppard East station for both future Line 4 and the EELRT on the architectural drawings!
Agreed. I also appreciate the numerous knockout panels there are for future TOC projects. For example, here at Lawrence East.

1698005281885.png

And at Sheppard-McCowan, you can tell where the TOCs will be built in the future.

1698005483217.png

At Lawrence East the platforms are 30.35 metres below grade (south entrance grade). That's deep - what's the deepest station currently on the system?
It’s very deep to cross under the West Highlands creek just to the north. Lawrence station on Line 1 is similarly deep as the line gradually descends between Eglinton and the York Mills valley.

Ontario line stations in the south will be even deeper! Osgoode will be 36.48m below grade.
Is it not Highway 407?
I may be wrong but I think the at grade street level is considered to be the one below the bus terminal so it’s technically a little shallower.

Lawrence East and Scarborough Centre will have 8!
The location of a Sheppard East line 4 station seems a little odd - the only Line 4 connection noted on the drawings indicates a connection to the "Canada Tire Site"
Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 22.35.31.png

I'm surprised to see that both Scarborough Centre station and Lawrence East station have 2 platforms.
Yes, the single bore means side platforms at both these stations.
(not open yet, but) "Avenue Station reaches a depth of 32 metres (105 feet) underground at its northwest corner—the deepest point of any station in the system."

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 22.50.36.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 22.50.36.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 32

Back