News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Although all the budgetary concerns are true, it is still part of the plan and will likely eventually get built (unless LRT fails here). When? God knows, but plenty of scarberians will make pleas for it. As for the outlook of the project, we cannot dismiss it as part of the future Scarborough transit network since it is still being actively discussed. There is talk of funding it with the recent federal and provincial funding. I myself have serious doubts if the SSE will ever get built, or any transit to the STC, especially considering the cost increases. However, I'm not ignoring the possibility of it being built.

And the SSE has made to Sheppard LRT politically unbuildable.
Except that's probably a really good thing. Had the SELRT been built before DRL long, it would have meant that the Victoria park corridor for the line would have been unfeasible. You can still build an SELRT with the SSE, but if there's any project that put the nail in the coffin for the SELRT until further notice, it's the DRL Long.

Last I checked, the only station on the RT that got even considerable ridership was Lawrence East. The only station with subway level ridership is the STC. What's the big deal with rerouting people an extra 2-3 minutes from Ellesmere, Midland and McCowan to the STC? Remeber, the current subway plan also calls for the Eglinton East LRT, so arguing that it's one stop versus 45 is absurd. We're only cutting a few stops from Line 3 that get almost no ridership.
For $3.5 billion? It's beyond absurd. What was the original cost to upgrade the existing RT - $170 million?

Can you imagine how much ridership you could get for $3.5 billion of surface LRT? It would far exceed one silly subway station.

Scarborough has thousands of newspapers boxes, and yes 46 rapid transit stops would make a difference.

A lot more than replacing the existing five Line 3 stops with a single Line 2 stop. You only have to look at the ridership numbers to see this. People need to pull their heads out of their imagination here, and look at reality.

Let's face the reality, and recognize that the majority of those 46 LRT stops are not rapid transit stops. Light rail Toronto-style (with the exception of Eglinton line) is not rapid transit, it is an improved local service.

The improved local service is useful, but it does not eliminate the need to extend the trunk rapid transit route, Line 2.

And for those who dream that the public "will have enough" with the escalating SSE cost: be careful what you wish for.

Because, next the public will "have enough" with the escalating cost of the Relief Line, which is certain to be higher than SSE.

so we MUST build this because we FEAR that the public will turn on DRL final price tag and nothing will get built? That is some great fear mongering.

Who defines what rapid transit is? The fact that the LRT will have half the stops of the local bus routes and never be in mixed traffic to me feels pretty rapid transit like.

Even if you do think LRTs are local transit with Smarttrack coming shouldnt you be focusing on getting your riders from their doorstops to the Smarttrack stops. If that is true then Scarborough needs all the LRT it can get.

Let's face the reality, and recognize that the majority of those 46 LRT stops are not rapid transit stops. Light rail Toronto-style (with the exception of Eglinton line) is not rapid transit, it is an improved local service.

The improved local service is useful, but it does not eliminate the need to extend the trunk rapid transit route, Line 2.
Essentially, Scarborough wants whats is shown in Orange - a rapid transit line connecting Scarborough to Downtown.
  • This could have been done by connecting to Eglinton.
  • It could have been done by interlining with DRL.
  • It could have been a whole new line following the Gatineau Hydro corridor and Don Valley.
The only option that gained political approval or consideration was the extension of the B-D line - so that was pursued.
TTC.jpg

Attachments

• TTC.jpg
    TTC.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 453
Essentially, Scarborough wants whats is shown in Orange - a rapid transit line connecting Scarborough to Downtown.
  • This could have been done by connecting to Eglinton.
  • It could have been done by interlining with DRL.
  • It could have been a whole new line following the Gatineau Hydro corridor and Don Valley.
The only option that gained political approval or consideration was the extension of the B-D line - so that was pursued.
View attachment 141352
That line can just be BRT in the hydro corridor that connects to Science Centre Station on Line 3/5. It would be the same number of transfers, assuming the Relief Line North gets built. It would also potentially be less transfers as more than 1 route can take the BRT corridor and destination is near Queen St so no transfer to Line 1.

It is rapid transit. There's little difference between the planned Eglinton Line in Scarborough, and the other LRT in Scarborough. Heck, the Line 3 rebuild would have had zero at-grade crossings of road - that's BETTER than Eglinton.

Actually it does. Look at the numbers.

Honestly, if Line 2 were to be extended, I'm not sure I'd even take it to Scarberia Town Centre ... it's only a major node now, because it's the terminus. It should go past the 401.

Reactions: syn
It is rapid transit. There's little difference between the planned Eglinton Line in Scarborough, and the other LRT in Scarborough. Heck, the Line 3 rebuild would have had zero at-grade crossings of road - that's BETTER than Eglinton.

Actually it does. Look at the numbers.

Honestly, if Line 2 were to be extended, I'm not sure I'd even take it to Scarberia Town Centre ... it's only a major node now, because it's the terminus. It should go past the 401.

I live in Scarborough taking the SRT on a regular basis. It is a major node because of GO transit and the TTC plus the it is the only major mall in that part of Toronto. For those of us living in Scarborough if you need any sort of clothing, shoes, eyeglasses etc really the only place to go is the STC if you want selection and everything in one place.

As for it going north of the 401 I actually agree. It should be run up McCowan to Sheppard or Finch as those two major intersections have alot of transfers taking place.

^I highly doubts QP is going to hand over more cash. I think we can assume Doug is going to be very stingy with money and I highly doubt he is going to just give out money for an LRT of all things. The Liberals as well have also said they won't provide a single penny more for the SSE project (all though they would be the first to change positions).

Back