News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I'm hoping that they'll at least rough-in the stations they dropped. It will become very obvious (though it's pretty blindingly obvious now) that people will demand in-fill stations a few years after they realize there's a subway right under their feet that they have to travel kilometers to the nearest station.

I'm hoping that they'll at least rough-in the stations they dropped. It will become very obvious (though it's pretty blindingly obvious now) that people will demand in-fill stations a few years after they realize there's a subway right under their feet that they have to travel kilometers to the nearest station.

is there any tangible savings between roughing in and building? I think the cost of doing it in the future would be massive compared to just building today.

They should be designing them and building them now as most importantly they'll never be cheaper, the cost differential is likely not significant from the rough in.

As has been mentioned many times before, roughing is nearly as expensive as building the entire station. When you rough in, you’ve already paid to build just about all of the internal structural elements.

As has been mentioned many times before, roughing is nearly as expensive as building the entire station. When you rough in, you’ve already paid to build just about all of the internal structural elements.
Of course, you wouldn't have to rough in Sheppard-McCowan Station with the current alignment :p

Lawrence East and Eglinton-Danforth on the other hand...

Yes it negates a lot of the "savings" but I was thinking more operationally. Adding an in-fill station later will result in major service disruptions

Just for reference what would be the definition of a rough-in that people have in mind? A cut and cover station box is obviously very expensive, but there's other options.

Just for reference what would be the definition of a rough-in that people have in mind? A cut and cover station box is obviously very expensive, but there's other options.

Probably something like North York Centre wherein the station box was roughed in but they only needed to knock down a few walls trackside and build the actual station to make it viable. There is also the Willowdale Station option, make provisions for the station in the future but don't do much else.

Probably something like North York Centre wherein the station box was roughed in but they only needed to knock down a few walls trackside and build the actual station to make it viable. There is also the Willowdale Station option, make provisions for the station in the future but don't do much else.

Something like the willowdale option was what I was thinking of

Honestly though, I am curious as to just how expensive it would be to expropriate a strip along the existing RT alignment that would be wide enough to run subways on.

AoD

The fact that this is even a question that needs to be seriously asked because it likely is cheaper at this point to expropriate the entire corridor (in an era where Toronto housing prices have skyrocketed), should speak volumes about the problem of cost escalation of infrastructure in this country.

I wonder if anyone from China reads this thread and laughs. Probably not. But they should!

Try anyone from the rest of the world not named NYC.

Subways don't cost this much in either Europe or South American countries with expanding subway systems in metro areas.

Did anyone happen to save a copy of the Environmental Project Report for SSE? Or whatever it was called... was the last major document that showed things like a 2D cross-section of the extension. What's the deal with the City hosting it for a month, then completely expunging it from the universe. Is that a normal practice?

Either way SSE costs seem way out of line. Hard to argue with what an engineer says, but I mean c'mon. One station. You'd think with that cost there's a mountain range between Vic Park and SC.

Did anyone happen to save a copy of the Environmental Project Report for SSE? Or whatever it was called... was the last major document that showed things like a 2D cross-section of the extension. What's the deal with the City hosting it for a month, then completely expunging it from the universe. Is that a normal practice?

Either way SSE costs seem way out of line. Hard to argue with what an engineer says, but I mean c'mon. One station. You'd think with that cost there's a mountain range between Vic Park and SC.
Are you asking for the Business Case?

I got two. One dated to June 2016, and the update dated to February 2017. I also have the Metrolinx subway feasibility report from 2013.

Are you asking for the Business Case?

I got two. One dated to June 2016, and the update dated to February 2017. I also have the Metrolinx subway feasibility report from 2013.

I wish UT had some kind of public document archive. The amount of transit-related documents floating around is staggering, and their presence on the internet is fragile.

Back