News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 497     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Unfortunately, the ship has sailed for SmartSpur. It would require much more extensive and costly upgrades for the whole rail corridor all the way to Union and beyond. Surely, such upgrades would bring massive benefits, not limited to improving transit in Scarborough.

Metrolinx priced a 4th east-side track at $1B (Don River to Scarborough GO).

Second obstacle is the planned Stouffville Express service; make all trains all-stop and frequencies can go much higher without increasing the number of tracks.

Third obstacle is the signalling system but we know Metrolinx is looking to tackle that too.

It would be expensive but possibly not SCC Subway expensive IFF they ditch the idea of express service on that pair of tracks.

Last edited:
It was off the Provinces "Next wave'. Next wave meaning unfunded projects maybe to be funded in 15-25 years. But it was taken off that list and never returned. It was Toast as far as the Province was concerned during the end of Millers term and the Ford years.
That's not true. The Next Wave was only a subset of the Big Move 15-year project list - it doesn't include projects on the 25-year list. When the Big Move was revised in 2013 (Ford was mayor), the Scarborough-Malvern line was retained in the 25-year category (though the next wave DRL project was moved from the 25-year list to the 15-year list).

That's not true. The Next Wave was only a subset of the Big Move 15-year project list - it doesn't include projects on the 25-year list. When the Big Move was revised in 2013 (Ford was mayor), the Scarborough-Malvern line was retained in the 25-year category (though the next wave DRL project was moved from the 25-year list to the 15-year list).

Its very true. I was being realistic in my reference to 15-25 for the current Next Wave as the Metrolinx estimations are Politically ambitious.

The Next Wave is all the matters. The NEXT NEXT Wave or "25 years" (More realistic is 50-100yrs or never ) = Hopes and dreams and nothing more. Although it really doesn't matter. My point all along was It should have been funded from the beginning and cost Transit city any chance it had.

From Steve Munro 2013 https://stevemunro.ca/category/transit/scarborough-malvern-lrt/page/2/
The Eglinton/Morningside line (aka “Scarborough-Malvern”) drifts in limbo not even a part of the Metrolinx “Next Wave” implying completion at best by the late 2020s.

With pressure on Tory to save some face it could be months away from being funded by the Province and therefore back into the "Next Wave"

Last edited:
It will end up costing $7 billion and the tunneling will get abandoned and mothballed so at the end of the day Scarborough will get no rapid transit and would have spent a shitload of money for nothing.

Are cost overruns during construction perceived better or worse than cost increases prior to construction. I would say the former because then something is actually being built and would be stupid to stop, but the latter will discourage starting construction. So which is worse?

Are cost overruns during construction perceived better or worse than cost increases prior to construction. I would say the former because then something is actually being built and would be stupid to stop, but the latter will discourage starting construction. So which is worse?
As nothing more than a lowly voting, tax paying, citizen it would really depend on whether the cost overrun during construction was unanticipated/unexpected or (as your question seems to suggest...sorry if that is not the case) a result of knowing, but not reporting, the actual cost at the time of planning. Nothing in life is guaranteed, so costs do go up....but nothing irks me more than the intentional, and cynical, low balling of estimated costs just to get a project approved....then letting reality seep in once it is "too late".

It will end up costing $7 billion and the tunneling will get abandoned and mothballed so at the end of the day Scarborough will get no rapid transit and would have spent a shitload of money for nothing.

Ha. Believe it or not, last night I had a dream that midway through construction, costs were projected to exceed $5 Billion and the project was moutballed. I spent too much time on UT clearly.

Back