News   Aug 16, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 686     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The majority of riders will come from the feeder bus routes, and perhaps from the feeder LRT if one is built.

The count of riders coming from condos located directly at STC is interesting, but not crucial.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to move SCC to Kennedy station? Pretty sure 3.5 billion is enough to build a nice shopping mall, library and even an obsolete city hall.
We can love or hate STC, being right next to the 401 is an undeniable geographical advantage that Kennedy and Eglinton doesn't have. It's up to the city to find a way to make it work.

A good way to start is retaking all that parking lot land back and adding streets so these lands can be redevelop. The mall should bury their parking space

Penis envy of Paris.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

At the time, it was a very modern concept and they wanted to be different than the rest of the continent. To their credit, it worked.
Whenever I tell visitors that the MR-63 trains are the oldest trains in operation in the world, they are surprised.

Left to right

MR-63 : Constructed between 1965-1967... still in service but being progressively retired as the new MPM-10 enters in service
MPM-10: Constructed as of 2011
MR-73: Constructed between 1974-1980... still in service

ap_azur_3_generations.56278fd90a107.jpg

only because new condos were built between this census and the last one was done. What we relly need to know is how many of them actually use the SRT or any form of public transit on a regular bases.

I'm confused by this: population increased but only because new housing was added? Short of a baby boom, how else would the population of an area increase?

We can love or hate STC, being right next to the 401 is an undeniable geographical advantage that Kennedy and Eglinton doesn't have. It's up to the city to find a way to make it work.

A good way to start is retaking all that parking lot land back and adding streets so these lands can be redevelop. The mall should bury their parking space

I find the logic strange that STC's advantage is highway access, so we should turn it into a transit hub. Kennedy/Eglinton has access to a subway line, an LRT line, the SRT, and RER. It's very well connected with all the current and future projects, especially for a "suburban" location.

Of course, Kennedy/Eglinton is full of sacrosanct detached single family homes, so it wouldn't matter if there were a dozen subway lines converging there: the urban form has been set in stone.

At the time, it was a very modern concept and they wanted to be different than the rest of the continent. To their credit, it worked.
Whenever I tell visitors that the MR-63 trains are the oldest trains in operation in the world, they are surprised.

Left to right

MR-63 : Constructed between 1965-1967... still in service but being progressively retired as the new MPM-10 enters in service
MPM-10: Constructed as of 2011
MR-73: Constructed between 1974-1980... still in service

The lack of heat cycling does wonders for the service life of vehicles. Considering that everything built above ground in Montreal seems to be crumbling from all the salt and freeze-thaw cycle (I think of all the crumbling bridges), I think they made the right decision for an all-underground metro.

I find the logic strange that STC's advantage is highway access, so we should turn it into a transit hub. Kennedy/Eglinton has access to a subway line, an LRT line, the SRT, and RER. It's very well connected with all the current and future projects, especially for a "suburban" location.

Like I said, you don't have to agree with the current location of the town centre but the highway IS an advantage. Its already a transit hub with the SRT, GO Buses and TTC, but it can be radically improved and made to be more desirable to capture more of 905 coming into the city and shop/play at STC or use the subway instead of them driving on the DVP. I hope I'm not shocking you by saying that 905ers aren't using the SRT.

Also, STC could be an option for young families pursuing the urban life who can't afford it downtown. Best for the city that they choose STC than Oshawa

You didn't explain why it IS an advantage. Also if STC was moved to Kennedy are you suggesting that it would be less urban and or less affordable to families.

Moving STC could save 2 billion which could be used on Sheppard to serve north scarborough.

Sometimes I think we all should need to show our Posta codes to help indicate if there are aany biases in our firm positions
Like I said, you don't have to agree with the current location of the town centre but the highway IS an advantage. Its already a transit hub with the SRT, GO Buses and TTC, but it can be radically improved and made to be more desirable to capture more of 905 coming into the city and shop/play at STC or use the subway instead of them driving on the DVP. I hope I'm not shocking you by saying that 905ers aren't using the SRT.

Also, STC could be an option for young families pursuing the urban life who can't afford it downtown. Best for the city that they choose STC than Oshawa

You didn't explain why it IS an advantage
Oh I don't know...being next to the busiest highway in North America might have something to do with it.... Meaning a greater potential of attracting some of that traffic to spend locally in Toronto's economy and helping businesses in the area. The potential is far greater than Kennedy/Eglinton. Its just common sense. But the city has to do its part to make STC desirable and they seems to be going there.

Also if STC was moved to Kennedy are you suggesting that it would be less urban and or less affordable to families.
It's a none starter and not worth discussing. STC mall will never engineer such a move nor will the city make them move either. Its just easier to redesign the area and work with the mall on that huge parking space and possibly bury them and freeing some land for development. It's laughable to entertain the idea of moving STC Mall

Moving STC could save 2 billion which could be used on Sheppard to serve north scarborough.
You need to explain the logic behind that claim.

Sometimes I think we all should need to show our Posta codes to help indicate if there are aany biases in our firm positions
Likewise, your post heavily imply bias

This is where I explain how much a STC move would cost. As for where I live...I grew up at midland and finch,moved to lawrence and Brimley and now reside directly beside eglinton west station. I understand scarborough transit nightmare but am skeptical all this transit some suggest will ever materialize and even if it did I doubt it would magically fix the mess. If money flows so quickly than why has something like finch not only gets cut but delayed. If we can't build relatively cheap lrt without cuts and delays then how am I supposed to be optimistic about subways everywhere plans. But I must be bias because I can see a subway/lrt stop from my door.
Oh I don't know...being next to the busiest highway in North America might have something to do with it.... Meaning a greater potential of attracting some of that traffic to spend locally in Toronto's economy and helping businesses in the area. The potential is far greater than Kennedy/Eglinton. Its just common sense. But the city has to do its part to make STC desirable and they seems to be going there.

It's a none starter and not worth discussing. STC mall will never engineer such a move nor will the city make them move either. Its just easier to redesign the area and work with the mall on that huge parking space and possibly bury them and freeing some land for development. It's laughable to entertain the idea of moving STC Mall

You need to explain the logic behind that claim.

Likewise, your post heavily imply bias

Yorkdale will soon open its doors to the 300,000 square foot, $331 million expansion. (yorkdale.com)

Scarborough town centre size (1,300,000 ft²) (wikipedia)

331000000 x 5 = 165500000.

So you could build a better mall (yorkdale type finishes) with an underground garage in a better transit location (lrt/subway/go) and save up to 2 billion dollars.

I'd argue that this makes far more sense and if you wanted to use that remaining 2 billion on Sheppard to serve north scarborough I'd personally be good with that.

Sure, it "works", but does it work better than traditional steel wheel metros? Given that Montreal and Paris remain the only major rubber tired metros in the world, I suspect not.

Yorkdale will soon open its doors to the 300,000 square foot, $331 million expansion. (yorkdale.com)

Scarborough town centre size (1,300,000 ft²) (wikipedia)

331000000 x 5 = 165500000.

So you could build a better mall (yorkdale type finishes) with an underground garage in a better transit location (lrt/subway/go) and save up to 2 billion dollars.

I'd argue that this makes far more sense and if you wanted to use that remaining 2 billion on Sheppard to serve north scarborough I'd personally be good with that.

Not saying its a bad idea, saying it wont happen

Sure, it "works", but does it work better than traditional steel wheel metros? Given that Montreal and Paris remain the only major rubber tired metros in the world, I suspect not.

The trains are faster and can run closer to one another than the TTC trains even with ATC. It's more expensive but its advantages are undeniable

To the contrary, it was a terrible idea and has permanently hamstrung the potential expansion of their system.

They are now forced to build all extensions underground, with all of the associated costs that go along with that. And because of the cost of tunneling, the equipment is much smaller than it could have been otherwise.

The trains are faster and can run closer to one another than the TTC trains even with ATC. It's more expensive but its advantages are undeniable

Not even remotely close to true. The performance of modern steel-wheeled equipment is virtually identical to that of rubber-tired equipment, including acceleration, gradeability and deceleration.

Montréal choses to run its equipment at a less-than-optimum manner as well - a train is only able to leave the station once the train ahead has cleared the next station.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back