News   Jul 15, 2024
 481     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 588     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Eglinton Crosstown West and Finch West will address that more effectively. Which corridor would warrant a North-South LRT? Islington or Kipling?

Jane Street. One of the busiest bus routes in the city - 43,500 passengers on an average weekday. Significant speed improvement since some sections would need to be underground (south of Black Creek in particular) and a lot of good interchange opportunities: York University, Finch West, Eglinton, St. Clair extension, and possibly a new Go Transit station on the Milton Line.

Jane Street. One of the busiest bus routes in the city - 43,500 passengers on an average weekday. Significant speed improvement since some sections would need to be underground (south of Black Creek in particular) and a lot of good interchange opportunities: York University, Finch West, Eglinton, St. Clair extension, and possibly a new Go Transit station on the Milton Line.

I meant for Etobicoke. Yes, Jane should get done

I meant for Etobicoke. Yes, Jane should get done

Kipling is more important a corridor than Islington.

Kipling links up Humber College (Lakeshore campus), Kipling Stn, apartment cluster at Eglinton, at Dixon Rd, Etobicoke North GO, developments at Rexdale Blvd, Westhumber area apartments, John Garland area apartments, the Albion Centre/Finch LRT connection and the apartment clusters leading up to Steeles Ave.

Kipling is more important a corridor than Islington.

Kipling links up Humber College (Lakeshore campus), Kipling Stn, apartment cluster at Eglinton, at Dixon Rd, Etobicoke North GO, developments at Rexdale Blvd, Westhumber area apartments, John Garland area apartments, the Albion Centre/Finch LRT connection and the apartment clusters leading up to Steeles Ave.

Kipling's greater importance is also reflected in the bus service, which runs 10 minutes of better all day and includes express routes. Islington has nether of that.

http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Maps/TTC_SystemMap.pdf

I meant for Etobicoke.

I don't think a north-south LRT is needed in Etobicoke. If they need a transit project to advocate for, it should be Go Transit service similar to the Paris RER. Frequent all-day service, a new station at Highway 27, and full TTC fare integration (including free transfers) within city limits. That would fill in the gaps between the Finch West LRT and Eglinton LRT west extension and provide direct service to Bloor-Danforth and Union Station.

Everyone here seems to forget that people shape their lives to be convenient or manageable. The trips are local because a trip elsewhere in the city is truly brutal.

A trip downtown can involve two buses before you get to a subway line, and even a trip to East York involves three buses. I joined this forum because I noticed that in my office, people that we were trying to hire, and long-time employees were making employment decisions based on transit. From Scarborough - say Malvern - to East York is a hardship commute.

I think that the studies are nonsense, and large number of the members' (here) obeisance to "expert" opinion and studies is nonsense too. If people aren't doing it (say, commuting downtown), you can conclude that they don't want to, but you could more reasonably conclude that it's too bloody inconvenient and that is the reason that no one is doing it. To conclude that no one wants to do it and therefore we can't justify the rest of the Sheppard subway or other pseudo-scientific nonsense is slavish adherence to numbers without analyzing why the numbers are what they are.

My personal experience says no one can be bothered to make the commute. We know that Scarborough is truly under-served in a significant way and the entire former borough is a giant transit desert which perpetuates the socio-economic situation there. How come we aren't cheering on any great gentrifying neighbourhoods in Scarborough the way that the Junction or Eglington West - in three to four years - will look? Simple. There are none. It's not a place people are rushing to like other areas of the city and I think that transit plays a large part in that decision.

You've hit the nail on the head. And it's why the people who live in these outlying parts are incredibly frustrated.

Now, that's not to say the LRT wouldn't have had some time savings. But when you tell the public you are going to fix transit, they expect you are going to cut their commute by 20-30 minutes. Instead, you approach them with a plan to spend a billion dollars to knock off a few minutes off the first leg of their trip.

It gets worse. Instead of listening to their concerns. They got constantly lambasted as being ignorant, not supporting transit, etc.

People seem to forget that these are regular working class people with families and jobs to get to. They are making the best of the situation they have.

That's not to say that their preferred option (the subway) is necessarily the most effective. But trying to understand what their priorities will at least help in designing a transit plan that addresses those concerns and at least helps sell it to them in a way that matters.

Miller was well intentioned. But one of the challenges with Transit City is that it failed to address this issue of regional travel time. Miller addressed some massive gaps in local travel and cross-town travel in the middle and northern areas of the city. But the hole on regional travel is still there inside the 416. And neither GO nor the TTC really seems interested in addressing it.

But the hole on regional travel is still there inside the 416. And neither GO nor the TTC really seems interested in addressing it.

The TTC isn't responsible for making decisions about building transit. However City Planning is very interested in the Relief Line, which looks to be the single project that will have the biggest impact on commute times. They recently received funding to get the Relief Line between Sheppard and Dundas West to shovel ready status. The extension to Sheppard should be shovel ready in three to four years. We just need funding to materialize to actually build it.

The TTC isn't responsible for making decisions about building transit. However City Planning is very interested in the Relief Line, which looks to be the single project that will have the biggest impact on commute times. They recently received funding to get the Relief Line between Sheppard and Dundas West to shovel ready status. The extension to Sheppard should be shovel ready in three to four years. We just need funding to materialize to actually build it.

Go Justin...Go!

DRL Short does nothing substantial for commute times. All it does is relieve overcrowding at Yonge/Bloor.

And DRL Long is maybe 20 years away. And that's me being optimistic.

Well, it's not like Toronto/GTA doesn't have political leverage right now:
image.png

We, as one-fifth of Canada's population and volatile voting bloc, ought to make the most of the Trudeau government and assert that we get at least close to even one-sixth of the $186 billion Infrastructure Canada funding which is stretched over the next 10 years. Maybe then this talk of taking funding away from one part of the city/region and giving it to another just to rub two pennies together would stop.

DRL Short does nothing substantial for commute times. All it does is relieve overcrowding at Yonge/Bloor.

And DRL Long is maybe 20 years away. And that's me being optimistic.

There are no quick and easy solutions to this. 20 years sounds about right. Which is all the reason to get started on this immediately (and thankfully we have finally begun planning for the project)

Toronto's turn-coat "conservative mayor" is so determined to get his lunatic, expensive ($1.5 BILLION for ONE subway stop which of course will cost $2 billion by the time it is done!!), incompatible transit system done that he's capitulated to the leftist, elitist, insular car-hating scum on Toronto Council and allowed for ROAD TOLLS! So once again, CAR DRIVERS get to pay for public transit. Not only that, but it allows Toronto to "screen out" undesirables from the surrounding areas since the tolls are on the Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner Expressway, both arteries leading into Toronto. Which is what the bike-riding oddballs in Toronto have wanted for some time. Lastly, the whole transit expansion has devastated businesses along Eglinton Ave, which is what happened to St. Clair ave businesses when they put in the streetcar infrastructure there.

Toronto's turn-coat "conservative mayor" is so determined to get his lunatic, expensive ($1.5 BILLION for ONE subway stop which of course will cost $2 billion by the time it is done!!), incompatible transit system done that he's capitulated to the leftist, elitist, insular car-hating scum on Toronto Council and allowed for ROAD TOLLS! So once again, CAR DRIVERS get to pay for public transit. Not only that, but it allows Toronto to "screen out" undesirables from the surrounding areas since the tolls are on the Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner Expressway, both arteries leading into Toronto. Which is what the bike-riding oddballs in Toronto have wanted for some time. Lastly, the whole transit expansion has devastated businesses along Eglinton Ave, which is what happened to St. Clair ave businesses when they put in the streetcar infrastructure there.

I can see you're going to fit in well around here.

That 1.5 billion dollar subway extension is actually now estimated closer to 3.5 billion if I'm not mistaken, and most of the "leftists" around here seem to be against it.

Now if you don't believe that building transit is the best way to improve traffic flow in the city maybe you could offer an alternative solution?

Back