News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 627     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Councillor John Campbell's monthly e-newsletter, March edition:

Just gonna leave this here.

- Paul

Surface route is adopted for study by council.....councillor on the Board talks about RT technology....studies ongoing about Mk3 conversion.......

Answer is that Metrolinx withheld report on alternative (connected SRT and ECLRT) because Scarborough Liberal MPPs wanted the B-D extended.
I guess he is relatively new, but I still think it's a probably a rhetorical question.

It might not be a wise course of action, but I don't see any PC candidates from the area questioning the economic wisdom of subway extension either. In fact, they probably doubled down on the SELRT as subway as well.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...ubways-subways-plans-to-cancel-four-lrt-lines

So really, it's one of these populist positions that everyone wants to occupy.

AoD

It doesn't. I'm simply briefly respond to Palma's question ...

coffey1 took the whole thing off-topic about 10 posts up the chain, by making the 100% unnecessary irrelevant and possibly trolling comment"For the most part Ford campaigned on listening to the voters out here & referendum aside".

Actually it's very much on topic with the SSE. Ford tapped into the inequality vote in this City greater than any other Politician. And it's a massive reason we're at this stage in the transit debate.

Many posters here have argued "Scarborough agreed" to the LRT hack lines under Miller/McGuinty. Id argue there was no reasonable alternatives being offered at the time & many residents had become apathetic to the process.

Im not even saying the SSE is the greatest thing. It's far from it & its final rendering remains to be seen. But it's a painfully slow step in the right direction and certainly if it comes packaged with an actual properly designed LRT line across Eglinton-Kingston-Morningside (SMLRT or Eglinton Crosstown extension not sure what it's called these days.) Scarborough will atleast be laying a decent starting footprint to build upon for the future.

Once Sheppard sorts out the mess from the debate the original funded LRT plan created Scarborough will be in much better shape. There would be an actual case for LRT on Sheppard at this point to be part of a local loop. Not my #1 preference, but certainly not an unreasonable option with the revisions in the latest chapter.

Last edited:
Actually it's very much on topic with the SSE. Ford tapped into the inequality vote in this City greater than any other Politician.
So? At this point, who cares what that wife-beating bigoted piece of crap did - it has little to do with the current debate about what to do with the Scarborough subway.

So? At this point, who cares what that wife-beating bigoted piece of crap did - it has little to do with the current debate about what to do with the Scarborough subway.

I mentioned nothing of his personal behavior nor does that matter whatsoever to this subject. I was discussing the reality of the Politics which have brought us where we are & will inevitably drive the final decision. Quite relevant to this subject.

I mentioned nothing of his personal behavior nor does that matter whatsoever to this subject. I was discussing the reality of the Politics which have brought us where we are & will inevitably drive the final decision. Quite relevant to this subject.
How Ford campaigned listening to the voters (not that I believe that's true) has no bearing on where we are today. Stop trolling.

How Ford campaigned listening to the voters (not that I believe that's true) has no bearing on where we are today. Stop trolling.

Just because you don't agree with my points doesn't make me a troll. That's quite insulting.

Tory squeaked past Doug Ford by maintaining much of the Ford Platform & had to lie about a improving an already scheduled GO RER into Smarttrack to sneak in. The Provincial Liberals chose to tap into the subway vote in Scarborough to garner votes to win bi-elections. There's a grass roots plan http://hardystevenson.com/admin/pdf/Rotary_Proposal_Web_SinglePages.pdf gaining Poltical traction developed by the Rotary clubs,community leaders & concerned citizens thru-out Scarborough. It was developed to bring attention to our Political leaders, media & outside citizens of the neglect, & inequality of Scarborough. They report has done much of the leg work to find recommendation since our Municipal government has done nothing since amalgamation to grow a healthy suburb .It's not only transit but that's certainly a big part

There's been a change in the Political landscape in Toronto that has ALOT to do with how transit is rolled out in our Suburbs going forward.

Just because you don't agree with my points doesn't make me a troll. That's quite insulting.
What insulting is that you keep posting such bizarre off-topic BS. This is called trolling. Stop trolling.

Tory squeaked past Doug Ford by maintaining much of the Ford Platform ...
This is an example of complete BS. And it has nothing to do with the topic.

Stop with the lies - especially the lies about a family of such vile crooks and bigots.

What insulting is that you keep posting such bizarre off-topic BS. This is called trolling. Stop trolling.

This is an example of complete BS. And it has nothing to do with the topic.

Stop with the lies - especially the lies about a family of such vile crooks and bigots.

Ill let the mods decide what's trolling. Really offensive being called a liar & troll.

Ive never even voted for a Ford but understand the Political shift and you seem to single them out of my posts and go off on your bigotry rants which have nothing to do with my related discussion or this topic.

Lies? The polls speak for themselves.

Last edited:
nfitz, do you have anything of substance to contribute here other than throwing around insults like troll, BS, lies? If you disagree with coffey, then why don't you explain yourself.
I think I have made plenty of contributions of substance in this thread over the last decade.

And I think I've already made how I disagree with Coffey quite clear. He needs to stop trolling, and stop raising the name of an irrelevant failure like Ford at every opportunity. Why do you want me to repeat my reason? This needs to end. That's all I'm saying. He never had much to do with this file for any of the choices currently on the table; his last plan was to extend the Sheppard subway to Scarborough Centre, and rebuild the SRT as LRT as part of the Eglinton Crosstown, which would become completely grade-separated. And that's the deal he negotiated with Metrolinx. He had no involvement with Stintz's subway plan, other than being a yes-man.

A Mayor sets the tone and by no means makes any final decisions. Stintz would never have been drawing subway maps had it not been for the Ford administrations subway's mantra at that time. Keesmat would not have been drawing compromised solutions or had them taken seriously had it not been for Tory's mantra of compromise.

Politics are certainly very relevant to this discussion.

Ford wasn't even talking to Stintz by that point - and was almost completely incapacitated by his alcohol and drug addiction. This set the tone for Stintz first restoring Transit City (which most certainly wasn't Ford's desire) and then changing the SRT from LRT to subway.

Anyone invoking the Ford when posting knows that they are playing with fire: with all the baggage that comes with Ford, to mention him is to auto-troll. Anyone who repeats the name Ford in a follow-up post tacitly agrees to join the auto-trolling.

So everyone, get over it. Any mention of Ford is trolling, and it's absolutely, completely, and utterly too boring for any Mod to have to deal with which poster was a little trollier than the other. Get some rest, and move on.

Ill agree Ford's personal life was certainly an extreme mess & the rare time it's reasonable for a voter to remotely care about a Politicians personal life over the platform. But it's the Politics & platform that the people voted on. Stintz proved that with her flip flop as she was fully aware the only chance to live out here own personal aspirations was to listen to the people. Unfortunately for her Tory & DoFo were also on board with the extension, similar platforms, but both had much higher name recognition.

End of the day the City & Province have both taken notice to the high numbers of voters that have resonated with this call for equality and respect within Toronto's neglected suburbs. Atleast one subway is certainly going ahead.

Tory has a tough job to play both sides because there were many who supported him both in the core and suburbs who just wanted to see calm . If he loses either side on this transit file id be shocked if a "Ford like" platform wouldn't walk back into power. Im sure even the one-stop revision to the subway plan & the current uncertainty have his support on shakier ground. This will play a huge factor in the next election if it's still not cleared up soon. As that would be yet another campaign promise fail by Tory & a big one at that.

Best case for both sides is a quick surface study & the subway can somehow be run along the surface with multiple stops added around STC anda possible extension similar to the SLRT with any major savings.

Last edited:

Back