News   Jul 16, 2024
 605     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 564     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 707     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Why don't they follow the current GO/SRT route to the Hydro/Greenway corridor and then take it NE to McCowan and then tunnel? Lots of room for at-grade along GO/SRT and then they could trench along the Hydro {or whatever the hell it is} so this would be about 4 km of the line at half the price of a full 6km tunnel and be much quicker to build with a fraction the amount of disruption to the current road. They could "box-in a potential station at Lawrence East to built at some future date.

Why not have it run north on Brimley. It's far better suited for subway than Mc Cowan as we could still have it trenched until it reaches north of Dorcot Ave. The only benefit Mc Cowan has is that it can directly serve Scarborough General Hospital. My idea behind is to give Scarborough Centre 2 stations instead of one. The first be built on Brimley and Ellesmere and the second one on Mc Cowan between Progress and Corporate Drive. Lots of potential for development and growth and the end result, we can give the Scarborough extension 5 stations instead of the 3 stations originally proposed.

And to DonValleyRainbow
How about a 10th option. http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...-better-route-for-the-scarborough-subway.html

Looking at the Midland 2 alignment makes me wonder if there is perhaps a further vision of going to Centennial. Would kind of makes sense now that going up Sheppard via McCowan is off the table.

Do you mean the intersection of Midland and Stansbury Cres? From my understanding looking at it from Google maps I think we are mostly talking about backyards, except for 1 or 2 houses. Basements are usually located in the footprint of the house. Also, I notice there is also a plaza south of Stansbury Cres and a school north of it. Do you think a station can be built there to maximize its potential?

View attachment 64596

You see that diagonal line of townhouses south of that plaza? That's the CNoR alignment.

Why? SRT trains have better acceleration (and a higher velocity) than any of the subway trains; it's only 6 km from Scarborough Centre to Kennedy with intermediate 3 stops. It's not dissimilar to the 5.5 km Sheppard line, which is only 8 minutes from Don Mills to Yonge with 3 intermediate stops.

I expected the subway average speed to be much higher even with 3 stops, even moreso with only a single stop. And yes, I assumed that the current state of the RT was further negatively impacting the speeds at which it currently travels.

The SRT travel time is 9 minutes from Kennedy to Scarborough Centre. (or at least it was before it started to fall to pieces). But the key is the time to change trains, and all those stairs. TTC generally puts that at 4 minutes - so say 13 minutes longer than travelling to Kennedy.

In today's planning report, they estimate that the non-stop travel time from Kennedy to Scarborough Centre is 5.5 minutes (about 40 seconds longer if there's a station at Lawrence East); so probably fair to add 6 minutes.

So from Main Street, it becomes only a 14-minute trip compared to 21 minutes now. And Yonge becomes 28 minutes instead of 35. (compare to the current 31 minutes on GO trips from Agincourt to Union that stop at Danforth).

In reality, it's longer than 13 mins. The SRT isn't always there when you get upstairs. Or, people are waiting anywhere from 2-4 deep during rush hour. Cutting that back to 6 mins is bigger in reality than its seems on paper.

This Tory bait and switch screws the M1B hard.

"Smart"Track cut back to Kennedy. Malvern subway cut back to STC. This is even worse for the M1B than the original SLRT plan if that's even possible but kEiThZ (always eager to remind us that he lived in Malvern and speaks for everyone there) loves it because he voted for Tory.

My experience is that it typically takes around 50 minutes to get to Scarborough centre from Dundas, and around 30 to get to Kennedy. So big, big savings if they can get the subway to Scarborough Centre in 5 or 6 minutes.

This Tory bait and switch screws the M1B hard.

"Smart"Track cut back to Kennedy. Malvern subway cut back to STC. This is even worse for the M1B than the original SLRT plan if that's even possible but kEiThZ (always eager to remind us that he lived in Malvern and speaks for everyone there) loves it because he voted for Tory.

I have no idea what is M1B.

"Smart"Track cut back to Kennedy.
Where do we see this in anything Tory or planning has presented? They explicitly talk about the Smart Track station at Lawrence East, and implicity up to Milliken.[/quote]

The report clearly says that the next step is to figure out Sheppard, and this doesn't preclude extending the SMLRT to Sheppard, or even the subway to Sheppard.

However, this new plan is a massive win for anyone who parks at STC to jump on the subway. A straight shot from STC to Kennedy should be well under 10 minutes (maybe approaching 5-6 minutes if they dig a deep straight tunnel). How long does it take to ride the RT end to end right now? (excluding the transfer at Kennedy)
If STC is going to be a developed centre having park and ride traffic clogging the streets around the subway terminus is hardly ideal surely? Isn't that what SmartTrack stations are for?

Where do we see this in anything Tory or planning has presented? They explicitly talk about the Smart Track station at Lawrence East, and implicity up to Milliken,

The report clearly says that the next step is to figure out Sheppard, and this doesn't preclude extending the SMLRT to Sheppard, or even the subway to Sheppard.

Exactly. Not sure where the idea is coming from that ST is cut back to Kennedy.

Exactly. Not sure where the idea is coming from that ST is cut back to Kennedy.

It wasn't imagined......Some of the coverage of the announcement two days ago re Eglinton West clearly alluded to this.

When I have time I will sit down and find the reference.

- Paul
(Typing this while riding the SRT, and hating it)

Oh, it was in a Globe article last week I believe - but nothing that's actually come out, seems to support this.

I always though it was kind of pointless to extend Line 2 beyond STC so terminating it there makes a lot of sense. It's a shame to lose a station on Lawrence though. Lawrence East is is the busiest non-terminus station on the Scarborough RT. The rest are disposable.

Has building an RER spur from the GO line to STC ever been considered as an alternative to extending the subway? It could potentially even be built on the elevated RT structure. It just seems like a shame to spend so much money on an express subway when serving STC with RER trains could be done for cheaper. In any case, I bet that when RER is up and running and fares are integrated, a lot of subway riders from Scarborough will transfer onto RER at Kennedy. It would be a less crowded transfer than at Bloor and a faster ride.

Back