News   Jul 19, 2024
 868     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.8K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

It pretty much means everything RE Liberal support, since they were the party in power when the switch was made from LRT to subway, and they haven't wavered since.

You mean by doing absolutely nothing to kill it? Great strategy!

Well yeah... but if you reread my comment I was talking about public support. Because a lot of people here claim that the Liberals winning must mean that the public supports this thing.

What are you talking about? Be sure to pay attention to Council this week.

The Liberal party also supported the LRT in MoveOntario2020 (remember, before transit city?)

I don't even remember a bus plan from him. He should have mentioned it more.
I think Tory just borrowed Chow plan for more bus service to be done A.S.A.P..

If someone has Tory's campaign website cached somewhere, I could find his bus plan post. It was different from Chow's.

IIRC it included:

Express bus routes (which are now being implemented)
Traffic Light Synchronization
All-Door Boarding
Queue-Lane Jumping

Relatively cheap and feasible bus plan that would result in massive improvements in busy bus routes. Whoever advised Tory on this policy knew what he was talking about.

Olivia Chow on the other hand didn't understand the problem with busy bus routes (they bunch, and hint: increasing bus frequency doesn't help with bus bunching, just leads to more congestion), promised a bus plan that was impossible with our current rolling stock of buses, and lied to the electorate about the costs of her plan from the capital investments of the McNicoll Bus shelter, the purchasing and tendering of a new bus fleet and the maintenance and driver costs of more vehicles.

Last edited:
What happens to the federal portion of the funding if the subway gets cancelled?
Goes back to Ottawa.

They could move it to the SRT if they want to if it will help them win a seat.

The Feds have yet to fund MoveOntario 2020 like they should. Since its a election year, a good time for some real transit funding from the Feds.

Big deal doing a transfer at Kennedy, as you will have to make a transfer somewhere else in your travel. I deal with a transfer at Islington. The current station would become grade level, running parallel to GO Line with access to the concourse and the subway.

If you are going to upgrade the SRT, then do it right as plan by going to Sheppard Ave E and then to Malvern that is already 30 years late. It also can go east into Durham at a later date as well into York Region.

Well yeah... but if you reread my comment I was talking about public support. Because a lot of people here claim that the Liberals winning must mean that the public supports this thing.
Public support manifests itself in elections, otherwise we're talking more theory rather than fact. What exactly is pubic support going to do now?

What are you talking about? Be sure to pay attention to Council this week.
And on Sunday Tory re-affirmed his support for the subway. Who's voting against him right now?

What happens to the federal portion of the funding if the subway gets cancelled?

That really depends on where it came from. Nobody knows whether it was intended as new money or as part of the Building Canada Fund.

If it is part of the Building Canada Fund, and it probably is, then it was Toronto's to do with, more or less, as it pleases for infrastructure. The Gardiner rebuild is one obvious place to put this funding that the current conservatives would be thrilled to cut ribbons for.

Last edited:

It will be interesting to see, if the City does decide to go with a SmartTrack option for Scarborough, if such a line could still be considered the "Scarborough Subway". Yes, it's a massive change in technology and in design, but by and large it's serving the same area and accomplishing many of the same goals that the Danforth-McCowan Bloor-Danforth Subway extension is. It could very well become a war of semantics over the definition of "subway" (we all know how much UTers love to debate that), and whether or not essentially building an S-Bahn in Scarborough qualifies.

In the eyes of the average Scarberian, would SmartTrack not actually be more desirable than subway, or am I missing something? Limited-stop express downtown from STC? Isn't that totally what they want?

Then the rt/LRT retrofit can become a feeder...

In the eyes of the average Scarberian, would SmartTrack not actually be more desirable than subway, or am I missing something? Limited-stop express downtown from STC? Isn't that totally what they want?
Since when did the average Scarberian want to get to Union Station?

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 2h 2 hours ago
Cllr Josh Matlow lost all 3 votes to get 3 administrative inquiries on Scarborough subway sent to executive committee for debate #TOpoli

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 2h 2 hours ago
Council votes 36 to 6 to receive the Scarborough subway administrative inquiries for information. Essentially the do nothing option #TOpoli

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 51m 51 minutes ago
"People in Scarborough deserve to get on the subway" Glenn DeBaeremaeker #TOpoli

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 45m 45 minutes ago
Giorgio Mammoliti says SmartTrack only serves the downtown #TOpoli

Then the rt/LRT retrofit can become a feeder...

In my honest opinion:

(A)DRL+ Scarborough-Eglinton Crosstown would have been perfect

The Combination of (B)Smarttrack + Eglinton Crosstown + Scarborough is just horrible planning and misuse of limited resources

Back