News   Jul 15, 2024
 729     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 626     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Here's some footage I shot last fall near Tara Ave.

I love this system...

[video=youtube_share;ry6Z04p75WA]http://youtu.be/ry6Z04p75WA[/video]

oh god the loud screechiness of it scares me even through the video.. I hate having to ride that thing.

And to think I'm going to go ride it tomorrow to go to the public meeting for the extension...

oh god the loud screechiness of it scares me even through the video.. I hate having to ride that thing.

And to think I'm going to go ride it tomorrow to go to the public meeting for the extension...

You might be lucky. If we get hit with the snow and the extreme cold temperatures tomorrow, the damn thing might not even work and you won't have to ride it. :p

You are a brave soul. I try by best to stay out of Scarborough, let alone a room jam packed with rowdy uneducated subway fetishists.

Screen shot 2015-02-01 at 5.39.26 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-02-01 at 5.39.26 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-02-01 at 5.39.26 PM.png
    540 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
The alignment doesn't have to be screwed if SmartTrack doesn't add more stations between Agincourt and Kennedy.
Given how relatively little ridership there is on the frequent SRT at Ellesmere and Lawrence East stations, how would having the less frequent SmartTrack trains stopping there have much impact on the subway ridership?

Given how relatively little ridership there is on the frequent SRT at Ellesmere and Lawrence East stations, how would having the less frequent SmartTrack trains stopping there have much impact on the subway ridership?

Posts like these remind me how stupid it is that we are building a subway here in the first place...

Ellesmere and Lawrence East? Really Toronto? Sigh.

Here's some footage I shot last fall near Tara Ave.

I love this system...

Great video. Honestly it’s quite well done, and it does a good job of showing a light metro in its natural environment. I’m sure there were many in the Davis gov’t who had visions of something like this across the GTA. I guess there are no high enough vantage points, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a snippet showing trains running on the elevated portion, particularly around West Highland Creek.

Although I prefer standard Light Rail, I do like Skytrain as well (screechiness of the rickety SRT aside). There's a certain futuristic quality about it. Naturally Durham and the North Pickering lands would be a good location to extend to, but I wonder if there’s anywhere in the else in the GTA that could optimally host a Skytrain/ALRT/Light Metro system.

s-fig20a.jpg

Attachments

• s-fig20a.jpg
    s-fig20a.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 678
You are a brave soul. I try by best to stay out of Scarborough, let alone a room jam packed with rowdy uneducated subway fetishists.

View attachment 41180

Rent-a-crowd. Wonder what they'll feel when a subway station does open years (if not a decade) from now, but it is kilometres away and they have to use bus to get to it, and the elevator is shut down due to either maintenance or vandalism.

Last edited:
Rent-a-crowd. Wonder what they'll feel when a subway station does open years (if not a decade) from now, but it is kilometres away and they have to use bus to get to it, and the elevator is shut down due to either maintenance or vandalism.

They're going to love the subway. It'll connect with several LRT lines for efficient transit.

Just got back from the meeting.

There was a good mix of people there, although it was typically dominated by seniors as most meetings are.

Upon arrival they had a sort of initial discussion with the boards placed around the lobby of the old Scarborough City Centre, with TTC, City, and AECOM staff there to answer questions. There were boards set up on large tables with every possible alignment, and little sticky notes so that people could write comments and stick them on the alignment map. Many were concerned with possible station locations, etc. There were also several boards where you could stick general comments.

At around 7:15 they called everyone into the old Scarborough City Council chambers to a presentation by Tim Laspa, who seems to be the head of the transportation side of the city planning department. He gave a quick presentation on the project so far after De Baermaeker made a little speech about Tory's support for the project and how he personally brought the Scarborough subway to the city after many years of work, and other self boosting speech remarks. Laspa explained the corridors that will be looked at, the scope of the work, when what parts of the project will be worked on and discussed, etc. Then the question period came. Oh, question periods at a public meeting. Always fun and joy.

The first couple of questions were surprisingly on point. The first guy asks if they will consider ridership in the different corridors. Laspa says yes. Person after him asks if they have "A blank chequebook" for the design, or if they will take cost into account. Laspa says that cost will be a factor in corridor selection. Next person asks about how much a station costs. TTC rep standing at the back of the room answers between $100 and $225 million.

Then fun began when someone finally stood up, and started on about the LRT. Started accusing Laspa over something he has no control over, and asks a loaded question that De Baermaeker eventually answers for him, as it was something related to council involvement and why council themselves weren't designing a $3 billion dollar subway line.

Next guy up gives some resounding thank you for building subways to "deserving and ignored scarborough". Isn't even a question, more of a statement.

Next guy. Begins discussing how he was talking to Ex-Mayor David Crombie (only refers to him as Ex-Mayor once, just calls him Mayor the rest of the time), who supports the LRT. Starts demanding why they aren't building an LRT. Laspa quickly shoots him down on his claim that the subway will be underused and that the LRT will carry more people (It won't, subway will be busier and has sufficient use levels to justify a subway).

Last guy gets really angry, starts calling councillors names and screaming. Laspa interrupts, tells him to calm down, and decides to end the question session and send us out for some more consultation with the people hanging out in the lobby with the presentation boards.

People start to mill about again, adding more details to the presentations than what they added before the presentation. Questions are answered, seems to be generally positive. One pro-LRT guy still doesn't seem to get that the meeting isn't to debate the two technologies, starts getting angry at an AECOM engineer. Starts getting angry as to why they don't have any details on the different corridors as it pertains to ridership, cost, etc., despite having already been told that it will be coming at the next meeting. Overheard someone say "Vaughan is getting a subway and they have 300,000 people, why can't scarborough get one when they have 600,000". Overheard Jim Karygiannis swearing about something while talking to a couple of other people who I didn't recognize.

I then left to trek it back downtown. There was snow drifting into the SRT, the thing was screeching loud. Nobody got on or off between Scarborough Centre and Kennedy. There was snow blowing through the badly sealed doors. Midland Station reeked of chemicals like it always does due to the nearby chemical plant. One can certainly get the feeling as to why so many in scarborough reject the current situation and demand a subway.

Last edited:
Just got back from the meeting.

There was a good mix of people there, although it was typically dominated by seniors as most meetings are.

Upon arrival they had a sort of initial discussion with the boards placed around the lobby of the old Scarborough City Centre, with TTC, City, and AECOM staff there to answer questions. There were boards set up on large tables with every possible alignment, and little sticky notes so that people could write comments and stick them on the alignment map. Many were concerned with possible station locations, etc. There were also several boards where you could stick general comments.

At around 7:15 they called everyone into the old Scarborough City Council chambers to a presentation by Tim Laspa, who seems to be the head of the transportation side of the city planning department. He gave a quick presentation on the project so far after De Baermaeker made a little speech about Tory's support for the project and how he personally brought the Scarborough subway to the city after many years of work, and other self boosting speech remarks. Laspa explained the corridors that will be looked at, the scope of the work, when what parts of the project will be worked on and discussed, etc. Then the question period came. Oh, question periods at a public meeting. Always fun and joy.

The first couple of questions were surprisingly on point. The first guy asks if they will consider ridership in the different corridors. Laspa says yes. Person after him asks if they have "A blank chequebook" for the design, or if they will take cost into account. Laspa says that cost will be a factor in corridor selection. Next person asks about how much a station costs. TTC rep standing at the back of the room answers between $100 and $225 million.

Then fun began when someone finally stood up, and started on about the LRT. Started accusing Laspa over something he has no control over, and asks a loaded question that De Baermaeker eventually answers for him, as it was something related to council involvement and why council themselves weren't designing a $3 billion dollar subway line.

Next guy up gives some resounding thank you for building subways to "deserving and ignored scarborough". Isn't even a question, more of a statement.

Next guy. Begins discussing how he was talking to Ex-Mayor David Crombie (only refers to him as Ex-Mayor once, just calls him Mayor the rest of the time), who supports the LRT. Starts demanding why they aren't building an LRT. Laspa quickly shoots him down on his claim that the subway will be underused and that the LRT will carry more people (It won't, subway will be busier and has sufficient use levels to justify a subway).

Last guy gets really angry, starts calling councillors names and screaming. Laspa interrupts, tells him to calm down, and decides to end the question session and send us out for some more consultation with the people hanging out in the lobby with the presentation boards.

People start to mill about again, adding more details to the presentations than what they added before the presentation. Questions are answered, seems to be generally positive. One pro-LRT guy still doesn't seem to get that the meeting isn't to debate the two technologies, starts getting angry at an AECOM engineer. Starts getting angry as to why they don't have any details on the different corridors as it pertains to ridership, cost, etc., despite having already been told that it will be coming at the next meeting. Overheard someone say "Vaughan is getting a subway and they have 300,000 people, why can't scarborough get one when they have 600,000". Overheard Jim Karygiannis swearing about something while talking to a couple of other people who I didn't recognize.

I then left to trek it back downtown. There was snow drifting into the SRT, the thing was screeching loud. Nobody got on or off between Scarborough Centre and Kennedy. There was snow blowing through the badly sealed doors. Midland Station reeked of chemicals like it always does due to the nearby chemical plant. One can certainly get the feeling as to why so many in scarborough reject the current situation and demand a subway.

No it doesn't. This is a vote buying exercise.

when the head planner for transportation at the city says otherwise, I think you may want to start doubting that position..

Back