News   Jul 16, 2024
 349     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 456     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I don't understand why you & others don't believe that SmartTrack will be TTC fare, yet no one questions that other transit lines like the DRL will be TTC fare.

Are you for real? The DRL is a subway, and having it (or the LRTs) priced differently than the rest of the TTC system just because it's a Metrolinx project is a terrible idea, and is thus unlikely to happen. As for Smart Track fares, we'll see. However I was in Boston recently and I learned some interesting things as I was studying their transit system. The commuter rail and subway are both run by the MBTA, not by separate agencies like in Toronto. The fare structure of the commuter rail is distance based, however zone 1A stations are priced the same as the subway. These stations are very much in the inner city, equivalent to Exhibition GO, Bloor GO, or Danforth GO. However not all stations within Boston are part of zone 1A, including some that interchange with a subway line. Boston is also much smaller in area than Toronto.

Cr-Zones-Web.jpg

Attachments

• Cr-Zones-Web.jpg
    Cr-Zones-Web.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 723
Are you for real?
Why are you being so utterly rude and making personal attacks?

However I was in Boston recently and I learned some interesting things as I was studying their transit system. The commuter rail and subway are both run by the MBTA, not by separate agencies like in Toronto.
MBTA is part of the state government. The equivalent here would be that we handed over TTC and all the other local agencies to GO Transit.

Which would probably mean that they'd eliminate a lot of lower used TTC routes and many others would be less frequent, but perhaps with larger vehicles. Last time I looked at Transit options in Boston, I was really surprised how infrequent services were in some spots.

Why are you being so utterly rude and making personal attacks?

Says the guy who was previously banned. You also might want to reflect on your recent comments in the DRL thread: "This idea is so bad, it won't even appear in the list of alternatives in the EA!", "I'm miffed, because it's simply a horrid idea for a DRL". Not that I disagree at all with those statement. Anyway, I should have said it better, but I don't see how it's any more of a personal attack than if I said "are you serious?".

Just clarify, I obviously believe that any future subway or LRT line including the DRL and Eglinton Crosstown will have TTC fares.

The reason I believe so is that they are conceived as part of the TTC system. It is widely understood for example that Eglinton will be line 5 on the TTC map, be covered by Metropass or TTC fare like any other TTC line.

Similarly, I think it's been made clear that the intent & conception of SmartTrack is for it to be part of the TTC system, not GO system. This is explicitly stated as well as implicitly stated by having it on the TTC map, as well as adding stations at a subway-like spacing.

Therefore, it's my current expectation that that rapid transit line will be priced such that it's reasonable to use it like any other TTC subway, bus or streetcar line.

That's pretty much all I have to say on this topic. If you don't disagree, don't believe, that's fine. There will probably be more information very soon since the first SmartTrack report is coming up soon and there will be more info at the next Metrolinx board meetings.

Says the guy who was previously banned.
And yet I've never been that rude to an individual! I was banned briefly for making a joke about myself which apparently wasn't shared by moderator who banned me - that's very different than attacking an individual. How does my previous ban justify your unacceptable rudeness to other posters - for which you shockingly still haven't apologized for. What is the relevance of my previous ban to this discussion?

You also might want to reflect on your recent comments in the DRL thread: "This idea is so bad, it won't even appear in the list of alternatives in the EA!", "I'm miffed, because it's simply a horrid idea for a DRL". Not that I disagree at all with those statement.
There's nothing wrong with attacking an idea. Attacking ideas is good - it creates dialogue, discussion, and in depth understanding of the issues. Attacking people is bad.

And what has this got to do with this thread? At least I pointed out your unacceptable rudeness as part of the ongoing thread - not as a separate subject. Do you not find that Boston transit service is somewhat lacking in terms of frequency?

Last edited:
Do you not find that Boston transit service is somewhat lacking in terms of frequency?

Yes. It was new years eve and new years day when I used Boston Transit, but I've often waited over 10 minutes for a subway train. Especially on lines that branch in different directions. I have lots more to say, but my experience overall left me feeling even more grateful for the TTC, and excited for the future. As for commuter rail, it has a lot of lines, and all day service in both directions which GO hasn't achieved yet. I've only used the Lowell line between Anderson station to Boston, however it wasn't moving too fast in some sections, and the trains were old and crappy. I think GO will kick ass once it's fully built out and upgraded.

I'm concerned the entire SRT replacement and extension project will be derailed! :)

I really don't care anymore. That's what you deserve for selfishly meddling.

I mean, I should care because I have to commute to and from this place every day. But I'm more or less at that "screw all of you" phase right now, even if it harms myself.

TheTigerMaster's signature is fitting. :p

If the SRT wasn't about to die at any moment now, we wouldn't even be discussing this subway. If we the city are so set on a subway extension, we could've put it at the back of the list of transit investments and focus elsewhere.

Last edited:

Back