News   Jul 16, 2024
 435     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 547     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

How is that any different from Eglinton Crosstown? It's completely owned & built by Metrolinx. On their website it's all Metrolinx logos, no TTC logos.

On numerous occasions I've expressed my displeasure about this arrangement. The Province has not proven themselves to be a dependable parter, so I would not be surprised if they eventually screw us over with the Eglinton Crosstown. I'd very much like to see the Eglinton Crosstown downloaded onto the City. I share the same sentiments about SmartTrack.

Yet, we believe it will cost TTC fare and be operated by the TTC because they've promised that.

What reason do you have to trusting the Province to keep their promise? They haven't shown themselves to be trustworthy in the past, especially when new governments come into power.

Here's a hypothetical situation for you: The Progressive Conservatives have expressed their desire to privatize transit operations. They get elected and sell SmartTrack to a [new] private operator. Private operator then raises fares.

When the SmartTrack project starts, it should be made clear that it is part of the TTC system.

Metrolinx owns and operates it. It's not part of the TTC system. It shares a fare structure.

If SmartTrack doesn't cost TTC fare and is not operated by TTC, then that misses the whole main point of SmartTrack.

Well apparently we've missed the point of SmartTrack, because it's not operated by the TTC. I'm not sure where you got the impression that this would be TTC operated.

On numerous occasions I've expressed my displeasure about this arrangement. The Province has not proven themselves to be a dependable parter, so I would not be surprised if they eventually screw us over with the Eglinton Crosstown. I'd very much like to see the Eglinton Crosstown downloaded onto the City. I share the same sentiments about SmartTrack.

What reason do you have to trusting the Province to keep their promise? They haven't shown themselves to be trustworthy in the past, especially when new governments come into power.

Here's a hypothetical situation for you: The Progressive Conservatives have expressed their desire to privatize transit operations. They get elected and sell SmartTrack to a [new] private operator. Private operator then raises fares.

Metrolinx owns and operates it. It's not part of the TTC system. It shares a fare structure.

So do you also not believe that the Eglinton Crosstown, Sheppard and Finch LRTs will cost TTC fare, since they are all built and are owned by the province? How do you know that the DRL won't be owned by Metrolinx?

Well apparently we've missed the point of SmartTrack, because it's not operated by the TTC. I'm not sure where you got the impression that this would be TTC operated.

How do you know who SmartTrack will be operated by? I doubt anybody knows at this point.

This reminds me of the time you said things like "SmartTrack will NEVER BE BUILT" (paraphrasing). Now apparently it will happen and you know all the details of how it will be operated?

I got the impression that it will cost TTC fare and is part of the TTC system because:
• The SmartTrack line will have the same fares as regular TTC rides.
• The SmartTrack line will have integrated faring with TTC. No new fares will be needed at
interchange points with the TTC network of busses and rapid transit.

Source: http://www.johntory.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/OneToronto_Backgrounder_Three_Smart_Track_Line.pdf

Clearly, things could change, but it is a fact that that one of the central ideas of what "SmartTrack" is (the other being adding more stops).

By the way, I don't differentiate between "being operated by" and costing TTC fare and being part of the TTC system. If it's on the TTC map, costs TTC fare has free transfers to the rest of the TTC system, then to a person using it, how is it not part of the TTC? You're saying Eglinton won't be part of the TTC rapid transit system?

Last edited:
This reminds me of the time you said things like "SmartTrack will NEVER BE BUILT" (paraphrasing). Now apparently it will happen and you know all the details of how it will be operated?

What I said was that SmartTrack, as proposed, was impossible to build. Significant modifications need to be made to the plan.

So do you also not believe that the Eglinton Crosstown, Sheppard and Finch LRTs will cost TTC fare, since they are all built and are owned by the province?

I don't. Metrolinx could screw us over and sell them to a private operator at the stroke of a pen. That's why I want them owned and operated by the City of Toronto.

Given that this is a regional transit line, I'd say the chances of Provincial meddling are significantly higher.

How do you know that the DRL won't be owned by Metrolinx?

Well we don't. But the precedent is for the City of Toronto to undertake the building, owning and operation of subways.

I got the impression that it will cost TTC fare and is part of the TTC system because:

Clearly, things could change, but it is a fact that that one of the central ideas of what "SmartTrack" is (the other being adding more stops).

From the Metrolinx board meeting:

wjJQWE6.png

By the way, I don't differentiate between "being operated by" and costing TTC fare and being part of the TTC system. If it's on the TTC map, costs TTC fare has free transfers to the rest of the TTC system, then to a person using it, how is it not part of the TTC? You're saying Eglinton won't be part of the TTC rapid transit system?

This argument is more or less moot. I was looking it from the perspective of who's responsible for operations, and not from a customer service POV.

But yes, I wouldn't be surprised if theres a notable difference from the customer POV. For example, this service likely won't be TTC branded. Is this [branding] a particlarly important distinction? Potentially (leaning on the side of no).

Last edited:
Anyways my overall point is that smarttrack isn't smarttrack if it isn't on the TTC map and priced such that you can use it like you would a TTC subway line.

If you don't think the Eglinton line, which is on the Ttc map won't be covered by Ttc fare.. that's insane to me. But on then..

If you don't think the Eglinton line, which is on the Ttc map won't be covered by Ttc fare.. that's insane to me. But on then..

Eglinton will be covered by TTC fare... at least initially. I just don't trust that the Province eventually won't do something to raise prices, such as selling the line to a private operator. This is the same situation as ST.

Basically my views on SmartTrack pricing can be summarized as: As long as the Liberals are in power and John Tory is mayor, pricing will be TTC fare. Once one of those factors are gone, the fare structure is free to change.

I don't view the TTC fare as a permanent, immutable arrangement.

One of the key promises of SmartTrack was that it would cost the same fare as the TTC and be part of the TTC system. That's why it would be on the TTC subway map.
That may be so, but the physical configuration of SmartTrack won't provide much relief of Bloor-Yonge station - which is necessary, and it's a damn shame that our Mayor is focusing on this plan, rather than something more useful with higher ridership like the DRL. What's really bizarre is much of SmartTrack has already been promised by the province, with $0 of funding being necessary by the city.

As long as the Liberals are in power and John Tory is mayor, pricing will be TTC fare.
There's a difference between it being using the TTC fare system (which is what Tory promised) and being the TTC fare. Which TTC fare? What about the TTC premium fare of $5.70 that you pay for using the 140-series express buses. Are those not part of the TTC fare system?

What we've been promised by both the city (Tory) and the province is fare integration - not identical fares!

There's a difference between it being using the TTC fare system (which is what Tory promised) and being the TTC fare. Which TTC fare? What about the TTC premium fare of $5.70 that you pay for using the 140-series express buses. Are those not part of the TTC fare system?

What we've been promised by both the city (Tory) and the province is fare integration - not identical fares!

No, Tory's campaign explicitly promised the line "will have the same fares as regular TTC rides." Clearly that implies normal TTC token price.

Clearly lots can change between now and when the line opens, if it ever opens at all, but I don't see why the need to pretend as though that hasn't been promised or that the Tory campaign has used some kind of trick-language.

That may be so, but the physical configuration of SmartTrack won't provide much relief of Bloor-Yonge station - which is necessary, and it's a damn shame that our Mayor is focusing on this plan, rather than something more useful with higher ridership like the DRL. What's really bizarre is much of SmartTrack has already been promised by the province, with $0 of funding being necessary by the city.

Hopefully because this is planned to be rolled into go RER. This $7 Billion SmartTrack plan is redundant .

No, Tory's campaign explicitly promised the line "will have the same fares as regular TTC rides." Clearly that implies normal TTC token price.

Clearly lots can change between now and when the line opens, if it ever opens at all, but I don't see why the need to pretend as though that hasn't been promised or that the Tory campaign has used some kind of trick-language.

I don't thing anyone is arguing that it hasn't been promised. What's being argued is that this is a Metrolinx line, so fare structure can be changed at their whim.

For example, SmartTrack can be opened with TTC fare structure. Years later, long after people have forgotten about the fare promise, Metrolinx can say that operations are too expensive, so fares need to be hiked.

In that situation, technically John Tory kept his promise, without being deceptive. He just doesn't have any control of this line once it's operational.

What people need to realize is that, as proposed, Toronto has zero control over this line once it's built. If the province wants to raise fares, there is nothing stopping them.

Also, this is not a TTC line, this is a Metrolinx line owned and operated by Metrolinx. People need to stop viewing SmartTrack as a municipal initiative, and start looking at it as a Metrolinx line (just like any of the GO rail lines).

Last edited:
Anyone expecting this to be part of the TTC will be disappointed in the likely situation that this line opens, and we're using GO RER trains with fares that happen to match the TTC (I mean that in the least derogatory way possible).

I don't thing anyone is arguing that it hasn't been promised. What's being argued is that this is a Metrolinx line, so fare structure can be changed at their whim.

Literally directly above my post nfitz remarked "There's a difference between it being using the TTC fare system (which is what Tory promised) and being the TTC fare. Which TTC fare? What about the TTC premium fare of $5.70 that you pay for using the 140-series express buses. Are those not part of the TTC fare system?

What we've been promised by both the city (Tory) and the province is fare integration - not identical fares!"

I read that as an unambiguous argument that Tory hasn't promised SmartTrack will use identical fares, just the same fare system. So I'd have to disagree with your point that nobody is arguing that. Clearly, someone is.

For example, SmartTrack can be opened with TTC fare structure. Years later, long after people have forgotten about the fare promise, Metrolinx can say that operations are too expensive, so fares need to be hiked.

That is a possibility. It's just as much a possibility that (if the line were under TTC control), the City could decide to impose some kind of fare hike (brand it an 'express route' and charge 2x fare). We did have the City threaten to mothball subways, for instance, so I'm not sure why I'd expect the TTC to treat ST with kid gloves.

Frankly, unless ST is designed with interchanges that make allowance for fare gates between its platforms and TTC bus/subway/LRT platforms, the logistics of actually doing this seem impractical.

What people need to realize is that, as proposed, Toronto has zero control over this line once it's built. If the province wants to raise fares, there is nothing stopping them.

Also, this is not a TTC line, this is a Metrolinx line owned and operated by Metrolinx. People need to stop viewing SmartTrack as a municipal initiative, and start looking at it as a Metrolinx line (just like any of the GO rail lines).

Same for the ECLRT or virtually any other Metrolinx project. Clearly transit operations are a heavily inter-governmental field nowadays. This hasn't been an issue in other jurisdictions, where different levels of government maintain parallel yet fully fare integrated transit networks.

It's also very early to judge the exact institutional structure of ST. Based on campaign platforms, Tory expects the city to pay for 1/3rd of the line's capital costs. Presumably such a sizeable contribution would merit some kind of performance obligations on the ST operating vehicle to maintain certain desired frequencies and fare structures. I doubt the City of Toronto would just give over a few billion dollars to a project without any kind of service quid-pro-quo.

Also, ultimately, the City is a Provincial creature anyhow. If QP/Metrolinx wants to screw with the TTC it could always do that. While the Province could be as destructive towards the TTC as it wants and politics allows, this does seem like making mountains outta mole hills.

ST as of yet is extremely vague. It's almost guaranteed to change substantially before opening, assuming it ever opens at all. I'm not sure what's gained from fretting about hypothetically pernicious Provincial governments decades from now.

I'm wrong. Wow - John Tory is even dumber than I thought he was. Why would Toronto want to provide subsidies for people to take GO from Markham to Mississauga on a TTC token?

Well, he can promise whatever he wants ... council is unlikely to go for that.

I'm wrong. Wow - John Tory is even dumber than I thought he was. Why would Toronto want to provide subsidies for people to take GO from Markham to Mississauga on a TTC token?

The TTC already carries/subsidizes tons of people from the 905 outside Toronto, not to mention the subway we're building to Vaughan. Also the original Transit City Eglinton LRT line also went the Mississauga border.

Chow brought this up as a negative during the campaign. Didn't get much traction.

Having said that, SmartTrack is mostly within Toronto.

The TTC already carries/subsidizes tons of people from the 905 outside Toronto, not to mention the subway we're building to Vaughan. Also the original Transit City Eglinton LRT line also went the Mississauga border.

Chow brought this up as a negative during the campaign. Didn't get much traction.

Having said that, SmartTrack is mostly within Toronto.

This isn't a TTC line, it's a Metrolinx line. Metrolinx should be paying any subsidies necessary to cover the cost of operations. This is a non issue.

Back