News   Jul 19, 2024
 710     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.2K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

No one? What about the promise in the 1940s to build the Queen line, which slowly morphed into the downtown relief line. That's been shown on various plans now for 70 years!

What about the 40-year old promise of 15-minute frequencies on the Lakeshore East line?

What about the promise of the RT into Kipling station?

Always read Forgotten's posts carefully. I made the mistake once of taking issue with what he/she said before it clicked, and then I had a good laugh.

Exactly people act us if Scarborough is the only place in Toronto with crap transit. What about places in northern Etobicoke like the Rexdale. Last I checked I don't see any subways running there.

Yeah everyone is 100% focused on Scarborough's transit needs these days with 3 transit lines planned for it. No one pays attention to Etobicoke with only one transit line planned.

4N1fGQv.jpg

Take a look at this map.

Does it look lopsided to you? It should. Almost all the major subway/LRT projects in the city are designed to serve Scarborough. They're getting the Sheppard East LRT, Bloor-Danforth Extension and the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT. Even the Relief Line will be pandering to the Scarborough since that alignment is partly designed to make commutes from/to the east end a little easier. And even with all this, we still have to deal with people (mainly politicians) screaming bloody murder over how the rest of Toronto is apparently depriving Scarborough of transit.

Meanwhile the good people of Etobicoke are getting a measly LRT line on Finch. Do they get any of the Eglinton Crosstown? Nope. Will the Relief Line serve them at all? Nope. What about a Bloor Subway extension west to Queensway? Nope. Waterfront West? Nope. Where are the screams from politicians down at City Hall about how pandering to Scarborough is screwing Etobicoke.

The situation isn't much better in the downtown of the city. The only planned RT extension is the Relief Line, which will most likely terminate at University Avenue or Bathurst Street. The western portion of downtown of gets no new RT. And to add further insult, the Relief Line will be of little use to downtown Toronto residents (the RL is designed to improve the B-D transfer for suburban commuters). In the meantime downtown residents are expected to continue to cram onto streetcars like the 510 Spadina, which actually moves more people per day than the Sheppard Subway. Is there any talk of at least upgrading the 510 or other streetcars to the modern LRT systems that will be gracing the streets of Scarborough in the next few years? Nope. They'd probably say that the downtown don't even deserve the allegedly "second class" LRT transit that the suburbs are getting.

Of course I am 100% behind all the new transit that we'll be building and I'd love to see more of built in the rest of the city (plugging my own fantasy map :cool:). I'm just making clear how ridiculous it is for politicians to incessantly whine about how the rest of Toronto is screwing Scarborough when residents elsewhere in the city (largely in Etobicoke and downtown) have remained completely silent while the east end has taken more than it's fair share of transit in the past decade.

Last edited:
Take a look at this map.

Does it look lopsided to you? It should. Almost all the major subway/LRT projects in the city are designed to serve Scarborough. They're getting the Sheppard East LRT, Bloor-Danforth Extension and the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT. Even the Relief Line will be pandering to the Scarborough since that alignment is partly designed to make commutes from/to the east end a little easier. And even with all this, we still have to deal with people (mainly politicians) screaming bloody murder over how the rest of Toronto is apparently depriving Scarborough of transit.

Meanwhile the good people of Etobicoke are getting a measly LRT line on Finch. Do they get any of the Eglinton Crosstown? Nope. Will the Relief Line serve them at all? Nope. What about a Bloor Subway extension west to Queensway? Nope. Waterfront West? Nope. Where are the screams from politicians down at City Hall about how pandering to Scarborough is screwing Etobicoke.

The situation isn't much better in the downtown of the city. The only planned RT extension is the Relief Line, which will most likely terminate at University Avenue or Bathurst Street. The western portion of downtown of gets no new RT. And to add further insult, the Relief Line will be of little use to downtown Toronto residents (the RL is designed to improve the B-D transfer for suburban commuters). In the meantime downtown residents are expected to continue to cram onto streetcars like the 510 Spadina, which actually moves more people per day than the Sheppard Subway. Is there any talk of at least upgrading the 510 or other streetcars to the modern LRT systems that will be gracing the streets of Scarborough in the next few years? Nope. They'd probably say that the downtown don't even deserve the allegedly "second class" LRT transit that the suburbs are getting.

Of course I am 100% behind all the new transit that we'll be building and I'd love to see more of built in the rest of the city (plugging my own fantasy map :cool:). I'm just making clear how ridiculous it is for politicians to incessantly whine about how the rest of Toronto is screwing Scarborough when residents elsewhere in the city (largely in Etobicoke and downtown) have remained completely silent while the east end has taken more than it's fair share of transit in the past decade.

Hear hear! Etobicoke DESERVES the Eglinton LRT West extension and Finch West LRT that they were PROMISED. There should also be a transit line along Weston road. Why does Scarborough get 3 new transit lines and poor Etobicoke get only one? Even the DRL is for those in the North East to get downtown quicker. Stop treating Etobicoke residents like 2nd class citizens!

I wonder if with all the development happening in South Etobicoke, the demand for a Waterfront West LRT will increase.

How much would that line cost anyway? It'd be mostly at-grade, wouldn't it?

I think the best thing for that area is to get the DRL built so that they can get on the streetcar, and transfer to it when they get there. there is already a large ROW along the queensway.

While Etobicoke shouldn't be ignored, Scarborough is denser and has more lower income people. There's more demand, so it makes sense to expand the system more in that part of the city.

Hear hear! Etobicoke DESERVES the Eglinton LRT West extension and Finch West LRT that they were PROMISED. There should also be a transit line along Weston road. Why does Scarborough get 3 new transit lines and poor Etobicoke get only one? Even the DRL is for those in the North East to get downtown quicker. Stop treating Etobicoke residents like 2nd class citizens!

It's funny how the Eglinton LRT was stopped so close to the Etobicoke border but yet we don't hear whining about it not being extended to the airport. Where are the Etobicoke politicians? Are Etobicoke residents also being treated like second class citizens like Scarborough?

Well hopefully the Western Bloor-Danforth extension to Cloverdale/Honeydale gets through (hasn't BD been expanded in both directions at the same time in the past?). Or even an extension to Sherway would be progress.

Back