News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 533     0 

Cycling: West Toronto Railpath (City of Toronto, Phase II Proposed)

I think this is a separate bridge rehab project. The new bridges for the railpath extension will be over the Barrie Line, Lansdowne, and Brock, and they'll be brand new and purpose built.
Queen as well, the Dufferin jog elimination project really only did half the work needed on the Queen Street Subway.

Posted last Thursday, on the previous page:

$75 million a kilometre for a bike path? Are they nuts?

See my comments at the above link.

The media should be making a frenzy over this.

We will not be able to realize an extensive bike network if we put up with insane costs like this.

Im just confused more than I am angry. How is it this expensive?

This might be the worst case of public overspending I have seen in this city.

We will not be able to realize an extensive bike network if we put up with insane costs like this.

This might be the worst case of public overspending I have seen in this city.
Seems like a much better investment than spending 2 billions on the Gardiner

Seems like a much better investment than spending 2 billions on the Gardiner

No one is arguing against the project itself.......... its the amount of money the project is being stated as costing that is the problem. Mx has some explaining to do.

I hope they plan on using the finest quality gold on that asphalt to make that $75 million/km go far. Maybe they're planning on also giving us some diamond encrusted railings as well with that kind of insane spending.

The cost of the Rail Path at 75M per km is finally starting to get noticed by the media and members of Council.

A report on this in The Star today:

Councillor Bradford in one of those calling this out, which as the Mayor's harshest critic doesn't mean all that much..............but, Councillor Matlow, who sits on Executive is also on the war path over this: (from the above)

1723549473871.png

1723549542188.png

Construction inflation from 2016-2024 is roughly 100% for the Toronto area.

That would move the initial estimate to 46M............but lets be mind bendingly generous and allow for some modest changes in scope, let's triple it..........that would be 69M, or less than 1/2 the current estimate.

This is why an FOI is so badly needed here in order to get the itemized budget list into the public sphere.

Last edited:

This might be the worst case of public overspending I have seen in this
This may be why we can’t get any progress on the Lower Don trail. The bastards tore up a perfectly useable, albeit (and beneficially, from a speed restricting pov) bumpy trail before undertaking soil condition checks, dug a trench that no one can use, then discovered the soil wasn’t to their liking, and walked away until more money is provided, leaving the city’s residents with no trail whatsoever in its place. And now that the Railpath demands over $100 million I doubt the Lower Don will be funded and restored to even its original condition until 2028. Who is running and estimating our recreational trail projects at city hall?

This may be why we can’t get any progress on the Lower Don trail. The bastards tore up a perfectly useable, albeit (and beneficially, from a speed restricting pov) bumpy trail before undertaking soil condition checks, dug a trench that no one can use, then discovered the soil wasn’t to their liking, and walked away until more money is provided. And now that the Railpath demands over $100 million I doubt the Lower Don will be funded and restored to even its original condition until 2028. Who is running our recreational trail projects at city hall?

In the case of the Lower Don Trail, the contractor was changed, there were some other issues, but I don't believe there were any serious issues around what was in/out of scope, or anything that might appear untoward other than some questionable project management.

The problems with the Rail Path of a different nature and a different order of magnitude.

Last edited:

Back