News   Jul 15, 2024
 173     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 350     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

You realize you've been quite rude to me and personally attacked me?

I have done neither of the above.

I have accurately, with great restraint, characterized the nature of your posts, on rare occasion. That is all.

In general, I've had you on ignore for some months.

I wouldn't respond to the above, but for it being a false allegation in need of correcting.

Kindly cease addressing / referencing me.

PS, you edited your post to be that harsh, that's not what you originally wrote.

Bring this thread back on topic please, which is to say a discussion of "concrete" changes to cycling infrastructure in Toronto, and not a place to drag out philosophical polemics over seemingly unending posts. Thank you.

Bring this thread back on topic please, which is to say a discussion of "concrete" changes to cycling infrastructure in Toronto, and not a place to drag out philosophical polemics over seemingly unending posts. Thank you.

I've done my first day of the traffic study, I'm reviewing the hourly numbers. This is taking SIGNIFICANTLY more effort than I was expecting, so hopefully it will lead to meaningful discussion.

Before I finish spending 20+ hours reviewing and tallying the numbers, does anyone have any concerns or suggestions?

I've broken down the numbers to westbound cars, westbound bikes, westbound scooters. And vice versa.
If a bike is going the wrong way (happened a few times) or down the sidewalk I still count it as a bike in the direction of travel.
moped style e bikes in a bike lane count as scooters if they're in the bike lane, if not I'm counting them as a car because they were in the vehicle lanes. (so far it's been like 2 an hour so minimal numbers)

Work is beginning on the complete street upgrade for Steeles Avenue East from Midland to McCowan. Right now, it's one lane in both direction from Midland to Ashcott with northern sidewalk closure. New raised cycle tacks will be installed connecting the existing ones at either ends of Steeles with raised crosswalk at minor streets, see the road plan view linked below if you haven't heard of this project happening in suburb of Scarbough/Markham.

Last edited:
I'm sifting through the footage I've completed the 6am-1pm time frame, so far

The numbers are the totals for each category, with the percentages below. Looking for feedback before I sift through the rest. I'll create some graphs when finished.

*edit added location*

This was just east of The Kingsway and Bloor

6AM-7AM

392​
20​
1​
198​
24​
4​
5.10%​
0.26%​
12.12%​
2.02%​
EB-CAREB-BIKEEB E-ScooterWB-CARWB-BIKEWB-E-Scooter

7AM-8AM

595​
32​
0​
357​
20​
2​
5.38%​
0.00%​
5.60%​
0.56%​
EB-CAREB-BIKEEB E-ScooterWB-CARWB-BIKEWB E-Scooter

8AM-9AM

745​
23​
0​
595​
21​
1​
3.09%​
0.00%​
3.53%​
0.17%​

9AM-10AM

619​
23​
1​
578​
12​
3​
3.72%​
0.16%​
2.08%​
0.52%​

10AM-11AM
580​
17​
2​
536​
11​
0​
2.93%​
0.34%​
2.05%​
0.00%​

11AM-12PM

297​
6​
0​
257​
8​
0​
2.02%​
0.00%​
3.11%​
0.00%​

12PM-1PM

530​
12​
0​
557​
16​
1​
2.26%​
0.00%​
2.87%​
0.18%​

It doesn't seem like the volume of bike riders has grown very much despite the lanes being open for months.

Last edited:
Wasn't in the discussion before, but if the issue is that there was a lane reduction, then your traffic count data shows that it should be fine. During rush hour, you got 750, and non-rush hours were around 200-400, which, searching online, says a lane in an urban area would be 1500 on the upper end max. This seems fine I think.

Wasn't in the discussion before, but if the issue is that there was a lane reduction, then your traffic count data shows that it should be fine. During rush hour, you got 750, and non-rush hours were around 200-400, which, searching online, says a lane in an urban area would be 1500 on the upper end max. This seems fine I think.
I still have to sift through the rest of the data. The issue for me is "build and they will come" hasn't materialized. It doesn't seem worthwhile to add 10 people an hour, especially considering this is a main transport corridor

Back to the cycle track installation at Millwood/Pape/Donlands. Photos from this evening around 6:45.

Three southbound lanes merge into one
1000020006.jpg
1000020008.jpg

Here is what I presume is the nascent cycle track from SB Millwood onto Pape, with a bumpy out bus stop and metal plates...
1000020009.jpg
1000020011.jpg

...which ends 50-100m south on Pape and I guess will dump cyclists back into traffic. Not sure what the long term plans are here.
1000020014.jpg

And looking east onto Donlands – still only construction. They've removed the island.
1000020013.jpg

I still have to sift through the rest of the data. The issue for me is "build and they will come" hasn't materialized. It doesn't seem worthwhile to add 10 people an hour, especially considering this is a main transport corridor
While I don't think bike lanes should be that far west, we can't judge yet. Right now the lanes are too new. After the downtown network of properly protected lanes is completed (hopefully this year) we will be in a better place to judge. Do the same analysis in July 2026 and we'd be in a better place to judge.

At TEYCC today:

TE15.65 - Street Cleaning: Cyclist Safety in Toronto and East York​

Consideration Type: ACTIONSchedule Type: DelegatedWard: 14 - Toronto - Danforth

Origin​

(July 9, 2024) Letter from Councillor Paula Fletcher

Recommendations​

Councillor Paula Fletcher recommends that:

1. Toronto and East York Community Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to implement a protocol to ensure bike lanes are clear and safe from debris and dust following construction projects in Toronto and East York and report to the meeting of Toronto and East York Community Council on September 25, 2024.

2. Toronto and East York Community Council request the General Manager, Transportation Services conduct an investigation of Greenwood Avenue and Danforth Avenue, and Carlaw Avenue and Dundas Street East to address the uneven pavement and unsafe cycling conditions and report to the meeting of Toronto and East York Community Council on September 25, 2024.

Summary​

The winter maintenance of bike lanes has been a long discussion and now there is an organized cleaning procedure in place.

It’s now time to take the same, if not a better, approach to summer cleaning.

Many more Torontonians utilize bikes in the summer months, especially as the Bike Share program continues to grow.

The city has many kilometres of cycle routes to maintain safety for cyclists, separating them from cars.

However, one aspect needs to be improved for cyclist safety is maintenance of these bike lanes. Keeping these critical corridors clean and swept regularly is key to maintaining safety within our city.

Patches of mud, sand, gravel, and glass may not be dangerous for cars (cars typically weigh upwards of 1170 kg) but are very dangerous for cyclists (bikes weigh typically 8kg to 25kg). Dust and debris blowing into cyclists’ eyes from construction sand and dust is a constant problem.

Sweeping of lanes after water main breaks and construction work has not been consistent. This should be a regular part of the city’s cleaning procedure, especially after completion of projects on city property.

After the recent watermain break at Broadview and Danforth, there were patches of mud left in the bike lane.

Ontario Line construction at Dundas has create a block of unsafe sand and gravel conditions east of Logan.

This doesn’t even begin to address the issues of uneven pavement and raised or depressed water main holes. These patches remain from frequent underground repairs are a nuisance for cars and larger vehicles, but for cyclists can result in serious injury.

Lastly, I want to shed light on the conditions at Greenwood & Danforth and Carlaw & Dundas, which are especially treacherous. How have these conditions been allowed to linger and create unsafe conditions in the very spaces that are meant to be safe for cyclists. I have heard from and witnessed cyclists sliding on this debris resulting in punctured tires and injuries in designated lanes, designed to protect them.

These issues need to be addressed accordingly. Residents should not have to be hindered by these dangerous conditions during their commutes. Cleaner streets are the first step in addressing safer streets, especially for cyclists.

Background Information​

(July 9, 2024) Letter from Councillor Paula Fletcher on Street Cleaning: Cyclist Safety in Toronto and East York
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2024/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-247628.pdf

Back