News   May 03, 2024
 119     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 867     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 246     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I commented on the Cycling Network interactive map when it first opened but looking at it now, all of my comments are gone. Anyone else have that experience? Are there just too many comments so they are only showing newer ones?

I commented on the Cycling Network interactive map when it first opened but looking at it now, all of my comments are gone. Anyone else have that experience? Are there just too many comments so they are only showing newer ones?

I posted several comments on Nov 10 and immediately received email confirmations for each.

The email confirmations included my comments:

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 1.50.03 PM.png

I checked today and my comments are still posted.

I had to click on "Join the Discussion" to see my comment, which was the first to respond to the original post shown here.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 1.54.55 PM.png

In case anyone is curious, here are all the comments. I particularly liked the well balanced response from the UTSC poster.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 1.55.38 PM.png

That all depends on where one credits the original expression as beginning.

Per Wikipedia, there's some debate as to whether it originates as late as the early 20thC; or as early as the Biblical Gospel of Mark.

If we measure from 1914 (which is the earliest common date for inflation calculators) , we get 2c = 52c in CAD

So rounded down.......someone would like to give their 2 quarters.
Many when it is actually finished it'll be... give their 2 loonies.

Does anyone have some context for when the long-term plan for Eglinton Connects is planned to be built? I've noticed the City promoting Eglinton TOday which the material says is an interim solution to Eglinton Connects, but I'm struggling to find any concrete commitment to when the higher-quality solution is planned to be implemented. The Eglinton Connects study page implies that it is being implemented through Eglinton TOday which to me is not the same as saying it's an intermediary measure.

Any context or clarity would be appreciated. I was excited seeing the cycle track treatment at the stations but do honestly feel like we're being told "this is an intermediary measure" as a political thing to avoid scrutiny without any real concrete plan for the full vision implementation. Maybe I'm off here, and maybe I have amnesia because I was pretty sure the understanding at the beginning when Eglinton Connects was, when planned and consulted on, was it was going to be opened in tandem with the Crosstown LRT with the upgraded cycle track and streetscape treatments. Unfortunately, a lot of the original planning materials and consultation materials have been removed from the city's website so it's difficult to verify what was promised without doing further research and figured someone on here might be more in the loop on this.

A little disappointed at what appears to be a 'downgrade' in the quality of the facility (on-street flex bollards vs. dedicated cycle tracks with streetscaping). It's better than what exists today, but I can't help but think a high-quality cycle track across the entire stretch of Eglinton would be a huge benefit to cycling in midtown. The Beltline, although efficient, doesn't connect well to many trip generators, going through residential neighbourhoods.

Does anyone have some context for when the long-term plan for Eglinton Connects is planned to be built? I've noticed the City promoting Eglinton TOday which the material says is an interim solution to Eglinton Connects, but I'm struggling to find any concrete commitment to when the higher-quality solution is planned to be implemented. The Eglinton Connects study page implies that it is being implemented through Eglinton TOday which to me is not the same as saying it's an intermediary measure.

Any context or clarity would be appreciated. I was excited seeing the cycle track treatment at the stations but do honestly feel like we're being told "this is an intermediary measure" as a political thing to avoid scrutiny without any real concrete plan for the full vision implementation. Maybe I'm off here, and maybe I have amnesia because I was pretty sure the understanding at the beginning when Eglinton Connects was, when planned and consulted on, was it was going to be opened in tandem with the Crosstown LRT with the upgraded cycle track and streetscape treatments. Unfortunately, a lot of the original planning materials and consultation materials have been removed from the city's website so it's difficult to verify what was promised without doing further research and figured someone on here might be more in the loop on this.

A little disappointed at what appears to be a 'downgrade' in the quality of the facility (on-street flex bollards vs. dedicated cycle tracks with streetscaping). It's better than what exists today, but I can't help but think a high-quality cycle track across the entire stretch of Eglinton would be a huge benefit to cycling in midtown. The Beltline, although efficient, doesn't connect well to many trip generators, going through residential neighbourhoods.

I've seen signs which talk about temporary road fixes (which, are desperately needed) starting this fall and going to next spring. So, my guess is, still a long time before implementation.

Reactions: BMO

For those lacking previews, and the click-averse:

View attachment 523718

I'm not posting all 4....
Nice that they'll make the DVP slip ramps safer which have already had incidents in the past (assuming design was cause for accident).

Also interesting they show cyclists use the sidewalk in the rendering... is that supposed to be a child or is that a future MUP replacing the sidewalk? Speed limits at 40km/h along Eglinton too?
Screenshot_20231130_073939.jpg

I love all these improvements coming online right now. Although whether Toronto is becoming a transit city is debatable, it really feels like we are becoming a cycling city.

There's a great deal that's either approved or advanced through the planning process already that's just waiting for 'GO'.

With any luck 2024 and 2025 could be banner years for installations.

There's also a lot more consultations coming early in the new year.

Eglinton Connects was a planning study with no basis in reality. The concepts developed through it assumed that the Official Plan ROW width would be available across the full corridor. While that would be fine if it were a greenfield area or a road in the 905 built in the last forty years where the full ROW is already public land, the reality is that getting the full ROW needed for the Eglinton Connects proposal would involve expropriating many buildings, encroaching into commercial patios/making the bottom of a front porch the new property line, tearing down the frontages of some heritage buildings and spending a stupid amount of money. Look at the first Eglinton TOday presentation and see some examples of this,

Eglinton Connects will never get built. It was a former Chief Planner who liked to do thought exercises that could never be executed. Read through the report and you’ll notice no one from transportation services or the TTC (or really, and City transportation person) was involved in preparing it. It was an approved plan, but no actual advancements in design, no dedicated funding and no real follow-up. Eglinton TOday is the current effort to salvage the idea in a way that can actually be achieved.

I’ve gotta give mad props to the Toronto Cycling and Pedestrian Unit for including Eglinton in the 10 Year plan and actually trying to achieve something there. The former Chief Planner came for that team a few years back but they stood their ground, and the former planner left with their tail between their legs.

I’ve gotta give mad props to the Toronto Cycling and Pedestrian Unit for including Eglinton in the 10 Year plan and actually trying to achieve something there. The former Chief Planner came for that team a few years back but they stood their ground, and the former planner left with their tail between their legs.
What does that mean, and, which former planner (Keesmat or Lintern)?

Eglinton Connects was a planning study with no basis in reality. The concepts developed through it assumed that the Official Plan ROW width would be available across the full corridor. While that would be fine if it were a greenfield area or a road in the 905 built in the last forty years where the full ROW is already public land, the reality is that getting the full ROW needed for the Eglinton Connects proposal would involve expropriating many buildings, encroaching into commercial patios/making the bottom of a front porch the new property line, tearing down the frontages of some heritage buildings and spending a stupid amount of money. Look at the first Eglinton TOday presentation and see some examples of this,

Eglinton Connects will never get built. It was a former Chief Planner who liked to do thought exercises that could never be executed. Read through the report and you’ll notice no one from transportation services or the TTC (or really, and City transportation person) was involved in preparing it. It was an approved plan, but no actual advancements in design, no dedicated funding and no real follow-up. Eglinton TOday is the current effort to salvage the idea in a way that can actually be achieved.

That's unfortunate. The way you've explained it, it makes sense why they don't want to draw attention to it.

For clarity, the core cycle track infra on Eglinton (Mt. Pleasant to Keele) will be built, there is room, it will happen.

There are some add-on projects in the original vision document that are unlikely to materialize; and the outer part of the network in the east will remain a mere painted bike lane for the near-term future, unfortunately, but that too will eventually change.

Back