News   Oct 16, 2024
 434     1 
News   Oct 16, 2024
 2.2K     6 
News   Oct 16, 2024
 561     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

In other depressing news. Parkside Drive Bike lanes won't see the light of day

report to the infrastructure committee next week

note the estimated 1-4 minute increase in travel time which makes this impossible to pass

This is a bullet to the head of any bike lane anywhere. It's done...GG
Easy on. The patient isn’t dead, just on hold until the OPCs are out.

And maybe we shouldn’t have provoked Doug by slowing his capital city’s vehicular traffic with bike lanes. A different path would have been to consult and partner with the Ministry of Transport to get bike lanes that can withstand Queens Park’s scrutiny. Think of the cities that have the very best bike infrastructure, like Copenhagen and Amsterdam. These weren’t designed and implemented in isolation without provincial/regional government involvement.

Last edited:
Easy on. The patient isn’t dead, just on hold until the OPCs are out.

And maybe we shouldn’t have provoked Doug by slowing his capital city’s vehicular traffic with bike lanes. A different path would have been to consult and partner with the Ministry of Transport to get bike lanes that can withstand Queens Park’s scrutiny. Think of the cities that have the very best bike infrastructure, like Copenhagen and Amsterdam. These weren’t designed and implemented in isolation without provincial or even national government involvement.
I think Doug Ford is going too far with this. Every cyclist death can be laid on his doorstep.

The attack ads will write themselves. 'Doug thought it was worth this persons death to ensure car drivers weren't delayed even a single minute.'

I think Doug Ford is going too far with this.
Agreed. If Torontonians disagree with bike lanes they can chuck out the Mayor. And if they don’t do that, then Toronto should be left to do what it likes.

There are 15 million people in Ontario, of which only 2.7 million live in Toronto. If I’m a resident of Thunder Bay, Kingston, Sarnia or any of the thirty (>50k pop) cities in Ontario I’d be wondering what the hell my premier is doing meddling in Toronto’s affairs instead of working for all Ontarians.

Agreed. If Torontonians disagree with bike lanes they can chuck out the Mayor. And if they don’t do that, then Toronto should be left to do what it likes.

There are 15 million people in Ontario, of which only 2.7 million live in Toronto. If I’m a resident of Thunder Bay, Kingston, Sarnia or any of the thirty (>50k pop) cities in Ontario I’d be wondering what the hell my premier is doing meddling in Toronto’s affairs instead of working for all Ontarians.
This bans bike lanes in those cities too.

3.1 million in Toronto now.

I would urge every UT’r with an interest in the subject to communicate directly with your local mpp, the relevant minister, and Ford himself with your thoughts on the announcement, the provincial policy, and what you would like to see. And if you have a spare $25, join the party and influence from within. It’s well worth the effort.

I would urge every UT’r with an interest in the subject to communicate directly with your local mpp, the relevant minister, and Ford himself with your thoughts on the announcement, the provincial policy, and what you would like to see. And if you have a spare $25, join the party and influence from within. It’s well worth the effort.
I wrote my MPP and cc'd the Minister's office and the mayor's office.

I think this is really unreasonable overreach into local affairs. It's not like the province doesn't have matters of provincial significance to attend to, and the standard projects are being held to makes this a de facto ban on new bike lanes that remove car lanes, even if the road is not at capacity (which is often the case with 4 to 3 road diets).

It's so plainly clear that Doug wanted to be Mayor, not Premier.
What a backwards, regressive step. I don't even think I've seen car-brained DOT in the States try and pull this - because the Federal government would probably pull all of their grants!

I see this as a hard but initial proposal similar to the 401 tunnel idea to set the tone for a much watered down eventual compromise.

Back