News   Oct 16, 2024
 459     1 
News   Oct 16, 2024
 2.2K     6 
News   Oct 16, 2024
 565     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

You forgot the part that the province also considering forcing the city to remove existing bike lanes on Yonge, Bloor, Avenue, etc..

This is the Jarvis Bike Lanes all over again, with the same idiot family at the helm.

A sad day for cycling and road safety advocates.

What this really shows if someone wants to make a difference for Toronto, get gotta become the Premier, not necessarily the mayor.
If we want Doug gone our best hope is for Poilievre to become PM before Ford calls a provincial election. Otherwise we're stuck with Ford and his obsession with meddling in Toronto's municipal affairs.

Reactions: rbt
If we want Doug gone our best hope is for Poilievre to become PM before Ford calls a provincial election. Otherwise we're stuck with Ford and his obsession with meddling in Toronto's municipal affairs.
Sorry for my ignorance but how does the federal election effect the provincial one?

Sorry for my ignorance but how does the federal election effect the provincial one?
Because there is a tendency among voters in Ontario to like to have different Parties (or ideologies) in power in Ottawa and Queens Park. If Tories win Federally then ''non-Tories' may have more chance @ QP.

Well, the thinking is the harsh austerity measures the feds take under Poilievre will make people want more spending from the province. The flaw there of course, is that it takes some time for the pain to filter through. I don't think the fed election will have impact on the provincial, unfortunately. Not the next one at least.

The provincial government has way too much power on municipal manners. They should be making and be responsible for more broad manners or inter-city manners to help connect the different cities. This is insanely micro-managy.

Toronto/GTA really ought to be its own province.

The provincial government has way too much power on municipal manners. They should be making and be responsible for more broad manners or inter-city manners to help connect the different cities. This is insanely micro-managy.

If Ford had shown his government were efficient (or honest), I MIGHT have les objection to them micro-managing cities but we all know of the scandals, the not-yet-opened LRTs and the insider stuff.....

The extension into Etobicoke was bizarre as that is Fordland and will always trigger Doug the Defender

However, yet to see data on mode shift from car to bike. Hypothesis still is from transit to bike, which does mean we are effectively adding more volume to the roads.

One thing I wonder if Bonnie Crombie would be against this. She needs to win the 905 and I'm sure this legislation will be popular there. Once introduced, it may be law for quite a while unfortunately.

Because there is a tendency among voters in Ontario to like to have different Parties (or ideologies) in power in Ottawa and Queens Park. If Tories win Federally then ''non-Tories' may have more chance @ QP.
You can have nice teeth or bike lanes. You gotta pick.

You can have nice teeth or bike lanes. You gotta pick.
The bigger zero sum choice is streetcar ROW or bike lanes. Notice how there is nowhere in the city where we have streetcar ROW and curb-separated bikes lanes. I don't include Queen's Quay as that's a mixed use trail.

For starters, I'd be removing ALL the parking alongside the St. Clair ROW so that we could have both a ROW and separated bike lane.

Doug Ford inadvertently makes a great argument for the ancient Greek system of electing government by sortition. If you entered all the adult residents of Ontario into a lottery and picked a random name from among them, the chances are quite high that that person would be better qualified to be premier than Doug Ford is.

If the GTA was its own province, Doug Ford would be the premier. Very very few outside the GTA have strong feelings about the specific layout of Bloor or Yonge; they very rarely interact with those streets. There is quite a bit of money in Rosedale and Forest Hill that have very strong opinions about it though.

Last edited:
Just a hypothetical question: is it possible on many arterial roads to reduce the width of car lanes to create enough space for a bike lane thus not triggering a Provincial review?

Just a hypothetical question: is it possible on many arterial roads to reduce the width of car lanes to create enough space for a bike lane thus not triggering a Provincial review?
1. All bike lanes need provincial review no matter what
2. doesnt matter since city has to prove 0 impact on traffic
3. This applies to all roads across the province

The original news reported number of lanes being the big deal. I think they removed that. This is so much worse.

This is a bullet to the head of any bike lane anywhere. It's done...GG
Note the little asterisk about the province requiring a review of all bike lanes built in last 5 year! By that, Adelaide, Richmond, Wellington, Even Bloor through the core could be ripped up. He didnt just kill it. He massacred it.

Back