News   Sep 26, 2024
 435     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 638     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I really don't understand the outcomes you want.. outside of being unnecessarily contrarian.
Bingo, unfortunately. Contrarianism is ripe on all forums, where folks just troll looking for that gotcha moment whey they’ll tell us all why something would not, could not, or should not be feasible.

78488e1474173968o6773.jpg

Last edited:
The City cycling unit has limited capacity to accelerate projects; more money in the budget could make some difference, but they really need more staff to actually carry out detailed design.

There will be a slew of consultations this fall, some of which will translate into projects next year, many not til 2026.

If there's a desire to accelerate that, there's a need to finish the design work sufficient to have the by-laws ready to approve changes.

Right now, no projects are scheduled to go to I&E for final approval until early next year.

Anyone wanting to push for acceleration will need to write to the Mayor ASAP, because hiring in the City is a months long process. Even Capital requires people writing out detailed tenders that take at least 2 months to get issued.
If the city really wanted to roll out the bike network quickly. they could easily expand the network rapidly by just using paint for now. and later upgrade these painted lanes over time which wouldn't go against the provincial rules. Painting all the approved bike lanes seems very doable without needing attract staff this way. I don't think their is any political will in city hall to rapidly expand the network however.

Last edited:
If the city really wanted to roll out the bike network quickly. they could easily expand the network rapidly by just using paint for now.

I don't think you understand what's required to do that........

First off, if you add or subtract legal parking, you must amend a by-law; you must also design where those lines go, its not arbitrary, everything has to be measured and minimum reasonable widths for both car and bike lanes maintained.

You need to produce detailed drawings......or else how would the line-marking crew know where to put the lines?

There really are nowhere near enough staff resources to achieve that at double or triple pace, and you would have to abolish consultations, and put time limits for key stakeholder review (TTC, EMS, Toronto Fire etc.) .

All so you could build something that could be relatively easily undone., and you will still need vastly more staff, and the hiring process as it is, generally takes months (It shouldn't, but that's a different rant)

I don't think you understand what's required to do that........

First off, if you add or subtract legal parking, you must amend a by-law; you must also design where those lines go, its not arbitrary, everything has to be measured and minimum reasonable widths for both car and bike lanes maintained.

You need to produce detailed drawings......or else how would the line-marking crew know where to put the lines?

There really are nowhere near enough staff resources to achieve that at double or triple pace, and you would have to abolish consultations, and put time limits for key stakeholder review (TTC, EMS, Toronto Fire etc.) .

All so you could build something that could be relatively easily undone., and you will still need vastly more staff, and the hiring process as it is, generally takes months (It shouldn't, but that's a different rant)
When the ActiveTO bike lanes were implemented fairly quickly on Dundas they just straight up converted a whole car lane into a bike lane, changing the dashed line between the two car lanes into two parallel solid lines with flexible bollards in between them. Not much design or detailed drawings needed 🤣. So I'm sure there's ways to save time on design.

I understand there is still a tonne of bureaucracy to deal with, and obviously consultations and key stakeholder review are important.

I do feel in general the ActiveTO bike lanes were pushed through fairly quickly, perhaps that's the limit of how quickly it's possible. Though I could certainly be remembering the timelines wrong.

When the ActiveTO bike lanes were implemented fairly quickly on Dundas they just straight up converted a whole car lane into a bike lane, changing the dashed line between the two car lanes into two parallel solid lines with flexible bollards in between them. Not much design or detailed drawings needed 🤣. So I'm sure there's ways to save time on design.

Dundas was an interesting quirk........and a relatively short distance (Broadview to Sackville). The rest was not part of the Active TO effort.

Danforth went in right quick, but you have to remember, Danforth had already been designed and was in public consultation pre-Covid.

I do feel in general the ActiveTO bike lanes were pushed through fairly quickly, perhaps that's the limit of how quickly it's possible. Though I could certainly be remembering the timelines wrong.

You're not wrong.........but quickly is deceptive, see my comments above.........Yonge didn't happen til a year later.

Let’s focus on the issue, congestion. If we can move cars faster then there’s no need to contest bike lanes. Make no left turns unless there is a separate turn lane, no right turns on red lights (to reduce block blocking), enact congestion pricing on any vehicle not registered in Toronto. Get cars moving.

How much effort are you expecting from my reply when you use personal attacks in yours?
Nobody is forcing you to engage in a cycling forum with anti-cycling rhetoric and then continue after people call it out and get angry with you.

So my only logical conclusion is that you're enjoying it. The least you can do is respond with substantive attempts to defend your indefensible position.

Nobody is forcing you to engage in a cycling forum with anti-cycling rhetoric and then continue after people call it out and get angry with you.

So my only logical conclusion is that you're enjoying it. The least you can do is respond with substantive attempts to defend your indefensible position.
1. Am I not allowed to point out I have attacked nobody but people are personally insulting me and attacking me here?

2. My indefensible position is bike lanes in the suburbs by default should be grade separated, since often there is enough space for a multi use trail.

Sorry, it's late on a Sunday night, I meant to put quotes.

View attachment 598204I don't see why a multi use path cannot be added here? It doesn't even have a sidewalk despite there being tons of space. View attachment 598204
I agree with you for Kipling it is not unreasonable to have a multi-use path. Potentially it's the cost of moving all those hydro poles/street lights that's an issue? Perhaps there is not enough width along the whole stretch? Maybe the city investigated that option and found it unworkable

What is your proposal for the bike lanes in the west end of Bloor you dislike so much? There was likely no way to implement them without taking away a car lane. Do you think they should be removed? What is your position and why?

Are there any other bike lanes you are not happy with in the city? And why?

Last edited:
I rode through the Bloor-St. George intersection westbound on a bike this morning. I could see they were doing work on the EB bike lane as I approached the intersection. It seemed similar to those I've experienced in Amsterdam, until I hit an invisible bump on the west side of the intersection. Thankfully I had both hands firmly on the handlebar... I'm used to the bike lane being the crappiest 1+ m of the roadway, but with older pavement it's visible. Not so with fresh pavement!

I don't understand how this was allowed to be opened with such obviously deficient construction. Yes, I will call the city tomorrow to complain.

I rode through the Bloor-St. George intersection westbound on a bike this morning. I could see they were doing work on the EB bike lane as I approached the intersection. It seemed similar to those I've experienced in Amsterdam, until I hit an invisible bump on the west side of the intersection. Thankfully I had both hands firmly on the handlebar... I'm used to the bike lane being the crappiest 1+ m of the roadway, but with older pavement it's visible. Not so with fresh pavement!

I don't understand how this was allowed to be opened with such obviously deficient construction. Yes, I will call the city tomorrow to complain.

When I drove through it on Sunday, they had completely ripped out the offending curbs -- looked to me like a wholescale reconstruction, at least from a car.

Back