News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 632     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 918     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

PXL_20230529_231758124.jpg
PXL_20230529_231840540.jpg

Now for something NOT so good.

The City and Ports Toronto are doing major (and much needed) repairs to the bascule bridge on Cherry Street. Last year they completed the western half, this year it is the east side and they have just closed the Martin Goodman trail (or re-routed it). Unfortunately, their temporary (for 8+ months) solution is to have cyclists (and pedestrians) going south to continue to cross Polson Street just south of the new bridge and then immediately cross Cherry to get to the east side (as previously) - both with lights. Then you continue south on Cherry for ca 300 meters until the bascule bridge where everyone is forced to cross Cherry again, go over the bridge on the west side and the cross back to the east side of Cherry. These two crossings are poorly marked, narrow and dangerous.

I just wrote and asked why they do not build a temporary trail on WEST side of Cherry from Polson to south of the bascule bridge. If/when I hear something I will report.

I copied Councillor Fletcher and others may want to discuss with cycling groups - it is VERY dangerous!
UPDATE:

The City tell me that: "Currently, the west sidewalk on Cherry Street, south of Polson Street is closed to facilitate watermain and streetscape work. As a result, trail users must cross to the east side of the roadway, then cross again at the Ship Channel Bridge, as noted in your email.

The west sidewalk is planned to re-open by June 21, 2023, along with a temporary bi-directional cycle track along the west curb lane. The cycle track will connect trail users between Polson Street and the north end of Ship Channel Bridge, thereby eliminating 2/3 crossings.

In the interim, we have requested Paid Duty Officers during the weekend to assist people cycling and crossing at the Ship Channel Bridge.

Regarding visibility, pedestrians and cyclists at the temporary crosswalks have a clear view of the signal heads. Furthermore, I plan to visit the site tomorrow and review the feasibility of expanding the queuing area at the southwest corner of Cherry Street and Polson Street."

Good they are doing something but it might have been better if they had finished the west side of Cherry BEFORE they had to shut the east side of the Bridge. It was hardly a surprise that it was going to happen, Silos strike again!

Hi all, longtime reader and first time poster.

I've wondered if people more knowledgeable than me have ever discussed the idea of an east end railpath that follows the Lakeshore east GO corridor? I'm aware of the trail network in the Don Valley and some of the ongoing work there to extend into Scarborough, but I'm thinking of something analogous to the railpath on the west end that hugs the rail line.

Are there obvious obstacles to this? Has inclusion of a cycling path ever come up in plans for the Ontario line and quad-tracking work? Is the right of way wide enough? In theory it could give several neighbourhoods between the future East Harbour site and Danforth station (or beyond) access to an unobstructed route into downtown.

I didn't find any previous info on this topic after a cursory search. Apologies if I missed something.

Hi all, longtime reader and first time poster.

I've wondered if people more knowledgeable than me have ever discussed the idea of an east end railpath that follows the Lakeshore east GO corridor? I'm aware of the trail network in the Don Valley and some of the ongoing work there to extend into Scarborough, but I'm thinking of something analogous to the railpath on the west end that hugs the rail line.

Are there obvious obstacles to this? Has inclusion of a cycling path ever come up in plans for the Ontario line and quad-tracking work? Is the right of way wide enough? In theory it could give several neighbourhoods between the future East Harbour site and Danforth station (or beyond) access to an unobstructed route into downtown.

I didn't find any previous info on this topic after a cursory search. Apologies if I missed something.

First, let me welcome you to the world of posting at UT!

Questions are a great contribution in themselves and an important way people learn.

So, let's take your question in bits here.

The idea of a bike path along bits of the corridor has been mooted, generally where the Scarborough Transportation Corridor (ie. the Scaborough Expressway, Eastern extension of the Gardiner) was once planned.

I have never heard the idea mooted for lands west of Victoria Park Avenue; and broadly speaking if the corridor is expanded as currently planned approved to 4-6 tracks (the latter inclusive of the Ontario Line); there is not sufficient room for a trail for the vast majority of that portion of the corridor.

In respect of lands east thereof, there are a couple bits of trail now, and trail was proposed not that long ago near Guildwood GO Station.

But the neighbours threw up a host of objections (that were ridiculous) , but I digress, but that bit won't happen any time soon.

Overall, I would say a continuous route in the east end paralleling the existing LE corridor is unlikely. However, some additional sections may be infilled east of VP over the next decade (or two).

I would not expect the same push as the Rail Path as cycling rates are currently much lower in South Scarborough than in Parkdale/Liberty Village. But that may change in due course.

Trail is currently in place from Bellamy to Brimley; and has been seriously looked at, as noted above, from Bellamy to Kingston.

By my rekoning, a trail is feasible to the west in Midland-St-Clair park, but not much further. While trail the east has 'room' to Poplar Road, it would entail cutting down a lot of trees, and it the route is affected by the Guildwood GO Stn.

To my knowledge no other section has been given serious consideration.

Last edited:
The work on the section of the new bike route through Parliament Square Park (the link between The Esplanade and Mill St) is moving along pretty fast. The Hahn Place (west) side is almost finished, the Parliament St (east) side has already been excavated.

It looks to me as though it will be fully open before next weekend. GOOD WORK!!

Last edited:
The work on the section of the new bike route through Parliament Square Park (the link between The Esplanade and Mill St) is moving along pretty fast. The Hahn Place (west) side is almost finished, the Parliament St (east) side has already been excavated.

It looks to me as though it will be fully open before next weekend. GOOD WORK!!
They were pouring more concrete at Parliament Street side today and it looks to me as though they are not removing the existing asphalt (from the ex-Green P lot) though may perhaps add a new layer on top of it. I assume it WILL all be finished sometime next week.

Over the last few weeks, someone has been doing work at Cherry and Unwin and it appears to be a NEW BIKE TRACK linking the Martin Goodman Trail to the Cherry Street Sports Field. Working west (Unwin & Cherry)

East (Sports Fields)

NOTE TO MODS: This thread seems to be used for any bike track talk - maybe change thread title to Cycling Infrastructure Bike Lanes - general ????

View attachment 437065
View attachment 437067

View attachment 437068
The promised landscaping is finished (and looks good too). The new path from Cherry/Unwin to the Sports Field is now open at least unofficially. My partner and I biked it today and it is a nice 'diversion'. I assume they will paint a centre line but apart from that, it's done!

The Provincial definition of e-bicycle is at https://www.ontario.ca/page/riding-e-bike#:~:text=You can ride your e,or the Kitchener-Waterloo Expressway

Not sure how to improve it but there is clearly a problem as some are FAR too fast, far too heavy and cannot (really) be pedaled. Perhaps someone here has a better definition and, if so, I assume Caroline Mulroney reads UT so maybe the situation can be clarified.
Ontario defines an ebike as such:

E-bikes in Ontario must have:

• a maximum assisted speed of 32 km/h
  • a maximum weight of 120 kg (includes the weight of the bike and battery)
  • an electric motor not exceeding 500 watts
  • no modifications to the motor to allow it to exceed a power output greater than 500 watts and an assisted speed greater than 32 km/h
  • battery and electric motor securely fastened to the bicycle frame to prevent them from moving while the e-bike is operating
  • all electrical terminals properly insulated
  • minimum wheel width of 35 mm and minimum diameter of 350 mm
  • two independent braking systems that applies force to each wheel and is capable of bringing the e-bike, while being operated at a speed of 30 km/h, to a full stop within 9 metres, on a level asphalt surface, from the point at which the brakes were applied

Anything outside of this is not an ebike but a motorized vehicle.

However in Toronto specifically, they have made a distinction between an e-bike and a pedalec.

Types of E-bikes​

A red E-bike and white cargo E-bike are shown side by side
pedelec & pedal-assisted cargo E-bikes
Pedal-assisted (“pedelecs”) are e-bikes requiring pedaling for propulsion (i.e., the power is cut to the motor when the rider stops pedaling). These are treated like bicycles in the Toronto Municipal Code if they weigh less than 40kg and require pedaling for propulsion, and may be used on roads and all types of cycling infrastructure: painted bicycle lanes, cycle tracks (separated bike lanes) and multi-use trails and paths.
Pedal-assisted cargo cycles are legal for use in Toronto on roads, painted bike lanes and cycle tracks.

Purple power-assisted E-bike
Power-assisted (throttle only)
Power-assisted are E-bikes that are capable of being propelled solely by its electric motor (throttle only). Power-assisted E-bikes may be bicycle-style, scooter-style or moped-style and regardless of style of appearance, they do not require any muscular power or pedaling for propulsion.
Power-assisted E-bikes are not allowed on cycle tracks (separated bike lanes) or multi-use trails or paths, because they pose safety risks when mixing with slower, human-powered modes like bicycles. It is also difficult and risky for such E-bikes to exit cycle tracks which can have raised curbs or vertical elements (e.g., posts, planters, etc.) when passing slower cyclists, whereas painted bike lanes do not present such issues.
For more information, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Transportation’s page on E-bikes (opens in new window) (opens in new window).
Toronto City Council adopted 2014 Decision on electric bikes. In a 2014 report adopted by Toronto City Council, power-assisted bicycles are considered similar to scooters and mopeds, and called “E-scooters” (not to be confused with standing electric kick-scooters which are also called E-scooters).

And that affects where you can ride them

Where you can ride an E-bike in Toronto​

Roadway
(vehicle lanes)
Bicycle Lane
(painted only)
Cycle Track
(separated, eg. curbs, planters, etc)
Multi-use Trails and Paths
(includes pedestrians, joggers, etc)
Sidewalks
Bicycle

A commuter bike is shown in black
YesYesYesYesNo
E-bike requiring pedaling
(“pedelecs” under 40 kg)
A red e-bike under 40 kg is shown with a motor
YesYesYesYesNo
(“pedelecs” over 40 kg)
97ef-pedelec-over-40-kg.png
YesYesYesNoNo
Power-assisted E-bike
(max. 120 kg, max. speed 32 km/hr)
YesYesNoNoNo
Motorcycles, Mopeds, Motor Scooters

A motorcycle, moped and motor scooter are shown
YesNoNoNoNo

There are lots of throttle only ebikes in Ontario. I see them whip past me on multi use paths on a regular basis. This one guy frequently is doing it on quite a heavy looking fat tire ebike (faux motorcycle look). Pretty dangerous to be frank. That dude doesn't even ring a bell when he whips past at 30 kph.

Last edited:
Ontario defines an ebike as such:

E-bikes in Ontario must have:

• a maximum assisted speed of 32 km/h
  • a maximum weight of 120 kg (includes the weight of the bike and battery)
  • an electric motor not exceeding 500 watts
  • no modifications to the motor to allow it to exceed a power output greater than 500 watts and an assisted speed greater than 32 km/h
  • battery and electric motor securely fastened to the bicycle frame to prevent them from moving while the e-bike is operating
  • all electrical terminals properly insulated
  • minimum wheel width of 35 mm and minimum diameter of 350 mm
  • two independent braking systems that applies force to each wheel and is capable of bringing the e-bike, while being operated at a speed of 30 km/h, to a full stop within 9 metres, on a level asphalt surface, from the point at which the brakes were applied

Anything outside of this is not an ebike but a motorized vehicle.

However in Toronto specifically, they have made a distinction between an e-bike and a pedalec.

Types of E-bikes​

A red E-bike and white cargo E-bike are shown side by side
pedelec & pedal-assisted cargo E-bikes
Pedal-assisted (“pedelecs”) are e-bikes requiring pedaling for propulsion (i.e., the power is cut to the motor when the rider stops pedaling). These are treated like bicycles in the Toronto Municipal Code if they weigh less than 40kg and require pedaling for propulsion, and may be used on roads and all types of cycling infrastructure: painted bicycle lanes, cycle tracks (separated bike lanes) and multi-use trails and paths.
Pedal-assisted cargo cycles are legal for use in Toronto on roads, painted bike lanes and cycle tracks.

Power-assisted (throttle only)
Power-assisted are E-bikes that are capable of being propelled solely by its electric motor (throttle only). Power-assisted E-bikes may be bicycle-style, scooter-style or moped-style and regardless of style of appearance, they do not require any muscular power or pedaling for propulsion.
Power-assisted E-bikes are not allowed on cycle tracks (separated bike lanes) or multi-use trails or paths, because they pose safety risks when mixing with slower, human-powered modes like bicycles. It is also difficult and risky for such E-bikes to exit cycle tracks which can have raised curbs or vertical elements (e.g., posts, planters, etc.) when passing slower cyclists, whereas painted bike lanes do not present such issues.
For more information, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Transportation’s page on E-bikes (opens in new window) (opens in new window).
Toronto City Council adopted 2014 Decision on electric bikes. In a 2014 report adopted by Toronto City Council, power-assisted bicycles are considered similar to scooters and mopeds, and called “E-scooters” (not to be confused with standing electric kick-scooters which are also called E-scooters).

And that affects where you can ride them

Where you can ride an E-bike in Toronto​

Roadway
(vehicle lanes)
Bicycle Lane
(painted only)
Cycle Track
(separated, eg. curbs, planters, etc)
Multi-use Trails and Paths
(includes pedestrians, joggers, etc)
Sidewalks
Bicycle

A commuter bike is shown in black
YesYesYesYesNo
(“pedelecs” under 40 kg)
A red e-bike under 40 kg is shown with a motor
YesYesYesYesNo
(“pedelecs” over 40 kg)
97ef-pedelec-over-40-kg.png
YesYesYesNoNo
Power-assisted E-bike
(max. 120 kg, max. speed 32 km/hr)
YesYesNoNoNo
Motorcycles, Mopeds, Motor Scooters

A motorcycle, moped and motor scooter are shown
YesNoNoNoNo
Yes, this is useful but, as noted above by @afransen there is 'confusion' and/or total lack of enforcement. The confusion can MAYBE be addressed by publicity, the enforcement is an ongoing problem!

Reactions: PL1
The vast majority of ebikes on the market adhere to the regulations - though it's often fairly easy to modify them to increase speeds as they are mostly artificially capped at 32km/h to meet regulations.

My Ebike is a super simple, single-gear city bike which looks exactly like a regular bike other than the battery pack on it. Works great, and I love it. Makes my 15km commute go from a 50 minute to 1 hour slog on a regular bike to a 35 minute cruise.

Back