News   Apr 25, 2024
 18     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 311     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 632     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Don't get me wrong - I think it's better that politicians do this than if they don't. But most politicians don't live the life that a majority of Toronto residents do, in terms of property ownership, transit and cycling/walking.

I know Brad Bradford rides (or at least rode) a fair amount . I took the most rides on a segment from him (on Strava) last summer.

Brad bikes all over the place. He merits criticism for any number of votes/takes but not on the issue of cycling, on that one he's the real deal.

Yeah, so did Boris Johnson, and look how that turned out
skynews-coronavirsu-boris-johnson_4963782.jpg

This from 2006, it got worse!

I did say....
Honestly, the idea that politicians are either 100% Good/100% Terrible is silly and exhausting. As NL wrote, Bradford has been good on the cycling front, but not (in my opinion) on other files. He largely supported the Tory mayoralty that has seen a large decline in Toronto in the past several years. Having Jeff (Canada Proud) Ballingall on his campaign team is yet another reason I cannot support Bradford.

Brad bikes all over the place. He merits criticism for any number of votes/takes but not on the issue of cycling, on that one he's the real deal.
Not in his own ward. He put forward a motion (which passed) to significantly narrow the Woodbine bike lanes from Kingston to Gerrard, to remove the protective parked cars, and add a second northbound car lane - overriding staff's rejection of that plan for safety reasons.

The bike new lane is so narrow, there isn't even the space to put down the protective plastic bollards - effectively it's a sharrow. Sooner or later someone will die there. He's not the real deal. He's a hypocrite whose far more interested in his own political advancement than his own constituents. Perhaps early on he was the real deal (though his unending support for John Tory even before he was elected was a warning sign), though as time has advanced, his self-centred view, and Conservative support have become apparent.

Not in his own ward. He put forward a motion (which passed) to significantly narrow the Woodbine bike lanes from Kingston to Gerrard, to remove the protective parked cars, and add a second northbound car lane - overriding staff's rejection of that plan for safety reasons.

The bike new lane is so narrow, there isn't even the space to put down the protective plastic bollards - effectively it's a sharrow. Sooner or later someone will die there. He's not the real deal. He's a hypocrite whose far more interested in his own political advancement than his own constituents. Perhaps early on he was the real deal - though as time has advanced, his self-centred view, and Conservative support have become apparent.

I think he mishandled Woodbine, I agree w/that.

However, he has not only championed the Danforth Cycle Tracks and their extension to VP last year, he has been working towards their further extension into Scarborough. He's also pushing for Cycle Tracks on St. Clair East, and on VP from Donside to Danforth.

Also, he really does bike everywhere, I see him on his bike all the time.

None of which absolves him of his poor voting record at Council on a number of subjects.

I think he mishandled Woodbine, I agree w/that.

However, he has not only championed the Danforth Cycle Tracks and their extension to VP last year, he has been working towards their further extension into Scarborough. He's also pushing for Cycle Tracks on St. Clair East, and on VP from Donside to Danforth.
Much of that is outside of his ward. Meanwhile, Danforth from Main to Victoria Park is very wide - there's little impact from the bike lanes, and the increased amount of permanent parking on Danforth, is favoured by many retailers.

Also, he really does bike everywhere, I see him on his bike all the time.
Odd, I haven't seen him anywhere in the ward since the 2018 election campaign. Both Bussin and MMM (and her bike) were everywhere. Heck, I see Paula Fletcher biking in Bradford's ward (despite that she drives to City Hall all the time). Meanwhile his office is notorious for not returning calls, emails, etc. to constituents. He doesn't even bother to respond to neutral questions in response to his social media posts. The guy is a phony.

Much of that is outside of his ward.

?

St Clair East from O'Connor to VP is entirely in his Ward; and VP Donside to Danforth is shared w/Crawford as the border of those 2 wards.

I'm not defending Bradford for any number of other things; but I don''t find his enthusiasm for cycling phony.

Last edited:
St Clair East from O'Connor to VP is entirely in his Ward; and VP Donside to Danforth is shared w/Crawford as the border of those 2 wards.
Ah, yes - that's true. St. Clair East is pretty quiet.

I'm not defending Bradford for any number of other things; but I don''t find his enthusiasm for cycling phony.
I'm just so pissed off about Woodbine - that he'd override staff on a safety issue is mind-boggling.

His term has always seemed to be much more about his future aspirations, than his constituents. Perhaps his cycling enthusiasm is simply more self-centredness.

Back