News   Apr 16, 2024
 113     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

The above report also speaks to updates on underway/approved cycling projects from last year:

View attachment 451955
View attachment 451956

Additionally some key info on new projects for this year, subject to approval. I've posted on these before, but we now have a timeline on public consultations:

View attachment 451958
View attachment 451961
Let me get this straight...in a couple of years I'll be able to bike on protected lanes from ECC all the way downtown?? Which multiverse Earth is this?!?

Should be at each and every GO Train station.

I've used GOs bike locking stations at 3 different stations and been the only person using it. Bike parking, at least at some stations, already easily satisfies demand. Convince 6 people to use existing bike parking spaces before asking for more or it'll be the poster child for wasteful cyclist infrastructure spending.

Improved cycling to GO stations might be a better ask; then go for bike parking when the existing bike stations are regularly half-full.

It’s kind of a catch 22 though. Crappy, unsafe bike parking means that people don’t feel comfortable leaving their bike. Give them something better and they will use it. Of course, that has to couple with safe biking routes to the GO station.

Last edited:
I've used GOs bike locking stations at 3 different stations and been the only person using it. Bike parking, at least at some stations, already easily satisfies demand. Convince 6 people to use existing bike parking spaces before asking for more or it'll be the poster child for wasteful cyclist infrastructure spending.

Improved cycling to GO stations might be a better ask; then go for bike parking when the existing bike stations are regularly half-full.
Is this the bike lockers you have to join a waiting list for and commit to a monthly lease?

Bike theft is such a problem we need something robust to ensure bike security, It is a chicken or the egg problem. We need to go a bit above and beyond to bootstrap a cycling+transit culture and ecosystem. It is obviously a very powerful combination in terms of total travel times, and is far less reliant on operating subsidies for feeder buses and giant surface lots or $25k/spot garage mahals.

Last edited:
Is this the bike lockers you have to join a waiting list for and commit to a monthly lease?

No, they're the sheltered spaces accessible by anyone at any time just like the 300 Dutch spaces from the above tweet which "Should be at each and every GO Train station." Dutch don't leave their good bike at the railway station either: They leave their $300 fixed-gear commuter bike, which they often purchased used for $100.

If the Reserved Bike Parking have a waiting list then they absolutely should have more of them at those stations.

Last edited:
has this been shared yet?

Some details regarding intersection plans & bridge redesign for Millwood

all fine and dandy but 40km/h on the bridge for the speed limit strikes me as a little ridiculous. The changes as proposed will likely drop average speeds closer to the 50km/h limit, no need to drop the limit further. The cycle tracks and sidewalk will be protected by jersey barriers too, the speed isn't going to be a safety risk.

has this been shared yet?

Some details regarding intersection plans & bridge redesign for Millwood

No, it has not. Excellent contribution.

I was hinting at this project awhile back............

Let me bring the deck forward for everyone.

Pape-Donlands Intersection:

1674662355622.png

1674662402530.png

1674662467963.png

The Bridge:

1674662553917.png

1674662614975.png

1674662639412.png

Overlea - Millwood Intersection:

1674662722516.png

1674662751099.png

1674662772056.png

1674662801135.png

On the subject of the Scarborough Golf Club Road improvements (which if approved will be built in 2024 all going well)

Here are the renders at full size:

1674665298743.png

Looking North at the Gatineau Corridor

1674665352456.png

In front of School

1674665431615.png

Looking North at Greenock

Back