News   Apr 29, 2024
 232     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 388     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 554     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

These sorts of trails really help with the issue of suburban areas having twisty streets that make walking and biking through them cumbersome

View attachment 451102
These are both places within a one mile walk for grid and suburb style layout.

The more trails we have that allow walking/biking etc between the windy streets, the more walkable they become.

There are actually a couple places that do this well in Toronto, notably Pickering and Brampton

View attachment 451103
Those cul-de-sacs are worse because of absence of mixed-usage zoning. Almost can't walk or cycle to buy milk except by car because of road design and zoning. The stores must be leased in a corporate owned plaza.

There are cities in the US (Los Altos Hills, Califorinia) that have few or no stores.

These sorts of trails really help with the issue of suburban areas having twisty streets that make walking and biking through them cumbersome

View attachment 451102

The more trails we have that allow walking/biking etc between the windy streets, the more walkable they become.

There are actually a couple places that do this well in Toronto, notably Pickering and Brampton

View attachment 451103
Pickering? Ajax you mean?

Last edited:

View attachment 451102

View attachment 451103
Mississauga has a lot of these as well, and 'escape hatches' as I call them to let you walk or cycle to the arterial. I do think a lot of the paths are designed to be unnecessarily circuitous as recreational paths. It makes cycling as a decent speed while not hitting pedestrians kind of tricky.

Something to smile about on a grey day.........especially for @robmausser

1674066410549.png

For the bicycling public in Oakville/Burlington.

Oakville kindly resurfaced Lakeshore from Dorval west to Third line earlier in the fall. And in doing so, just did not scrape and repave the driving lanes, but did so from shoulder to shoulder. Anyone traveling that route, especially on two wheels knows that the shoulders are not curbed, vary in width, and up until this repaving were a mix of gravel and broken pavement. What has been done is an improvement. But no cycling signage, no paint indicating bike lanes. In cyclists general favor, is that the area is predominantly signed as no parking, and you rarely see on street parking. But I have no response from the Town re any signage to come, and in fact, throughout this route, you could physically separate much of this route as well, if you wished. Not sure you would wish to go that route as separation might impede the pelotons we see all throughout the better cycling months.

And then further along, Burlington is planning a large resurfacing and bridge replacement program from Walkers Line to Guelph Line. This is a curbed section of Lakeshore, without bike lanes currently, but includes a center turning lane. I caught this too late, but there was a public zoom meeting on January the 18th. No bike lanes appear to be envisioned so far, just replacement of the 'multi-use' trail on the south side of Lakeshore. See https://www.burlington.ca/en/news/c...-cove-bridge-replacement.aspx#Project-Updates and a link to the Project Scope Plan and contact information.

This article showed up via Reddit. The existence of anti-bike contingent is unsurprising. What was surprising, however, was Tory pushing for a review of the midtown Yonge lanes in January (this January?!) What’s up with that? Is it a precursor to those being removed?

Certainly, when I spoke to staff not so long ago, I didn't hear any concern about these lanes being removed. But that's not to say things haven't changed, I simply couldn't speak to it.

The agenda for the relevant committee for January (Infrastructure & Environment) will be up next week, I'll keep an eye out for any reports.

Certainly, when I spoke to staff not so long ago, I didn't hear any concern about these lanes being removed. But that's not to say things haven't changed, I simply couldn't speak to it.

The agenda for the relevant committee for January (Infrastructure & Environment) will be up next week, I'll keep an eye out for any reports.

I think you can be sure the report will recommend they are made permanent, as the evidence will be overwhelming. It'll come down to whether Tory wants to stick his neck out against some very moneyed people who typically have the ear of the Mayor.

Saw this amazing bike trail work in Mississauga and had to post here. Yes, the trail does continue on the other side of the road...

View attachment 451537
Should have a raised cycling and pedestrian crossing. Forces the motorists to slow down.
16542237245_93a6cea108_h.jpg

I think you can be sure the report will recommend they are made permanent, as the evidence will be overwhelming. It'll come down to whether Tory wants to stick his neck out against some very moneyed people who typically have the ear of the Mayor.

And @ADRM is entirely correct.

The report on this is on the next Agenda for the Infrastructure and Environment Ctte, and it recommends the Yonge Street Bike lane from Bloor to Davisville be made permanent.

Bayview Avenue, River to Front is also recommended as permanent.

From the above:

1674484834053.png

1674484949366.png

1674485009549.png

1674485086731.png

The above report also speaks to updates on underway/approved cycling projects from last year:

1674485252884.png

1674485295172.png

Additionally some key info on new projects for this year, subject to approval. I've posted on these before, but we now have a timeline on public consultations:

1674485421866.png

1674485457239.png

Back