News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 853     0 

Cumberland Four Cinemas Redevelopment

Too bad they are virtually shut down for much of their length with interminable lane closures to let those beautiful boxes in the sky be built......although, I guess eventually there will be no more space to build along either of those streets.
Oh, I didn't realise they decided to tear down the Gardiner before those buildings were finished. Thanks for clearing that up.

Amen Ricky. I am not so impressed with the theatres themselves, they were nothing special. But it has been a space that has been willing to show some stuff that doesn't get shown in the big plexes. Thank goodness for the Royal and a couple of other places that seem to be willing to look beyond which movie could top the North American box office this week.

Local art is displayed throughout the lobby area walls and is changed out regularly plus the venue has been used for dozens of smaller film festivals since it went independent in '97. It makes it's loss a step beyond it's offerings of the foreign and alternative fare that it screens.
The Royal, Bloor and Regent are great cinemas. Hopefully they will survive the difficult business of booking, maintaining and making a profit from those old buildings.

The price of a movie, any day of the week, any time of day, at AMC Dundas Square is $13. Too much! The Cumberland 4 still offers reduced prices on Tuesdays.

The price of a movie, any day of the week, any time of day, at AMC Dundas Square is $13. Too much! The Cumberland 4 still offers reduced prices on Tuesdays.

On Fri, Sat, and Sun.. plus holidays. Before 12pm, all shows are $6.00.
I do find it weird though that the AMC doesn't offer a matinee price during the rest of the week.

I'm sure one of the big boxes will set aside some screens for foreign films and so forth. There's enough pretentiousness in this city to support it.

Do you mean foreign films like Batman and Iron Man...those are foreign films too.

It is a shame to see these go as they provide alternatives to the usual fare. Also the legacy of the film festival in Yorkville (part of its success I would posit) will continue to be lost as the cluster of theatres around Yonge and Bloor is now reduced to one.

On Fri, Sat, and Sun.. plus holidays. Before 12pm, all shows are $6.00.
I do find it weird though that the AMC doesn't offer a matinee price during the rest of the week.

Thanks!

Back