News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 855     0 

Cumberland Four Cinemas Redevelopment

Yes, Buildup, it (almost) goes without saying that anybody who sees a foreign film is a pretentious twat, no doubt unable to appreciate the profundities of the Hulk or Iron Man.

The Cumberland will be sorely missed by those of us who appreciate a decent movie once in awhile.

Am I the only person that wonders where this condo-mania is going to end up? Forty story towers looking into 40 story towers? Maybe Spiderman would be enthralled, but look at what we are giving up!

I love tall buildings. Plaza 100 at Jarvis & Wellesly is a fabulous example of what this city could be. WTF is going on in the core? Every building is being knocked down and a 40 story tower is going up!

Egad, are we going to have to drive to Vaughan for entertainment next? If the theatres are closing up (well, we've already lost 3 major theatres in that area), what next?

We're even moving old mansions (on Sherbourne) to make room for 40 story towers. We're squeezing two towers on lots where only one should be (Murano).

Has anyone 'in the know' bothered to make a scale model of the core and really look at what this is going to end up like? Who is going to want to live here in 10 years?

Dichotomy,

1. Spiderman would be enthralled, and so am I

2. We already drive up to Vaughan for entertainment. UT trip to Wonderland anyone?

3. James Cooper Mansions is only 32s, not 40.

4. Murano is fine with two towers. I have been up there (see Murano thread for pictures) and have examined the spaces between them and other towers in the neighborhood. The spacing is fine.

5. If you visit our fine city hall, you can see that several years back such a model was made. Though it has not been updated in the last couple of years, there has been some discussion about cleaning and upgrading it. A few members such as Redroom and I have even tossed around the idea of updating it guerilla-style.

I would guess quite a few since they are buying so many condos.:D

But they are buying them from spec - and are they aware of what this area is going to look like in 10 years?

We've gone from absolutely NOTHING over 10-12 floors for the past 25 years to suddenly the sky is the limit. Does anyone, other than the developers themselves and the real estate agents profiting from said development, have a handle on where this is going to end up?

Just wondering.

Other cities in this world have already done this a long time ago. Maybe ask them... I'd start with Hong Kong.

Are you serious? You would use 'Toronto' and 'Hong Kong' in the same sentence? Further, why would we want to become Hong Kong?

Dichotomy,

1. Spiderman would be enthralled, and so am I

2. We already drive up to Vaughan for entertainment. UT trip to Wonderland anyone?

3. James Cooper Mansions is only 32s, not 40.

4. Murano is fine with two towers. I have been up there (see Murano thread for pictures) and have examined the spaces between them and other towers in the neighborhood. The spacing is fine.

5. If you visit our fine city hall, you can see that several years back such a model was made. Though it has not been updated in the last couple of years, there has been some discussion about cleaning and upgrading it. A few members such as Redroom and I have even tossed around the idea of updating it guerilla-style.

LOL I notice you hail from Kingsway. I work there. You can scoot up to Wonderland (or Collusus) much more easily than can I, hailing from Jarvis/Wellelsey.
I may be wedded to my car, but I also do a helluva lot of walking in this area and I really don't like what I am seeing.

But it is obviously too late. Time will tell, but in the meantime, I know I won't be investing in real estate downtown at this point.

Are you serious? You would use 'Toronto' and 'Hong Kong' in the same sentence? Further, why would we want to become Hong Kong?

Because Hong Kong is safe, clean, efficient, beautiful and dense as hell. The Platonic ideal if you will.

Furthermore, even though I live out here, I spend most of my time downtown, walking around and enjoying the transformation of Toronto from a big-small city to a small-big city.

Does anyone, other than the developers themselves and the real estate agents profiting from said development, have a handle on where this is going to end up?

Just wondering.

For the sake of humour, would you care to enlighten us? I need some new quotes for my sig.

For the sake of humour, would you care to enlighten us? I need some new quotes for my sig.

Tell me, is it fun to preach to the choir? Doesn't it get boring, posting cute pics of deep holes in the ground and masturbating over the next big project with your friends on this site?

Just like the Council meetings, I get the distinct impression that dissenting opinions get shouted down, or ridiculed. Is that what passes for debate?

I've lived in the core on and off since '78. What is happening now is uncoordinated and reckless. There is absolutely no planning for the additional people, cars and requisite increase in transport of goods to suppor those additional people.

When the dust finally settles, nobody is going to be able to move in the core of the city on a subway or by car, then once business leaders realize the mess that has been made, they will take flight, too.

Tell me, is it fun to preach to the choir? Doesn't it get boring, posting cute pics of deep holes in the ground and masturbating over the next big project with your friends on this site?

Just like the Council meetings, I get the distinct impression that dissenting opinions get shouted down, or ridiculed. Is that what passes for debate?

I've lived in the core on and off since '78. What is happening now is uncoordinated and reckless. There is absolutely no planning for the additional people, cars and requisite increase in transport of goods to suppor those additional people.

When the dust finally settles, nobody is going to be able to move in the core of the city on a subway or by car, then once business leaders realize the mess that has been made, they will take flight, too.

And would these opinions be based in the Star Trek or Monty Python school of urbanism? I was going to respond to this but I'll let Grey's ever-evoloving signature do the talking.

Tell me, is it fun to preach to the choir? Doesn't When the dust finally settles, nobody is going to be able to move in the core of the city on a subway or by car, then once business leaders realize the mess that has been made, they will take flight, too.

How about the scary day when the Leafs and Argos are both playing in their venues while they are tearing down the Gardiner Expy east of Jarvis with no alternative solution to move traffic across the city core.Cant wait

Traffic is much worse in the suburbs (I work at Vic Park/Sheppard) than in the City Core (I live at Bay/Bloor), from my experience. But back on topic...

The area has the Varisty - which have a good mix of the Hollywood and more niche films, as well as the Carlton (An old, rather run down theatre that usually plays the films that just left the Varsity & Cumberland). Perhaps the loss of the Cumberland will have us going to the Bloor Cinema more often? It would be nice tooif the AMC Yonge Dundas would do something other than play Zohan 50 times a day...I've gone a couple times and peaked my head in some of the theatres...they're often completely empty, with the movie just playing to an empty room!!

How about the scary day when the Leafs and Argos are both playing in their venues while they are tearing down the Gardiner Expy east of Jarvis with no alternative solution to move traffic across the city core.Cant wait

It's going to be absolute chaos during those max. 4 days of the year when there is some potential that the Leafs and Argos play at home on the same day. 50,000 people leaving the City at once, minus all those that take public transit, go to bars and restaurants after, and don't go east. Remind me to leave the City to avoid the traffic because it's going to be worse than when they close the DVP and Gardiner down a couple weekends each year

ya too bad adelaide and richmond streets don't exist oh wait they do

Too bad they are virtually shut down for much of their length with interminable lane closures to let those beautiful boxes in the sky be built......although, I guess eventually there will be no more space to build along either of those streets.

The physical theatre itself is of far less significance than the place it held in the spectrum of movie options it presented to the population. If others are willing to fill the gap then its lose isn't that important, if not, the richness of the city's cultural life is diminished.

Dichotomy, don't worry something will eventually slow the condo mania. It's called the market and when it comes it will exact its vengence on the development industry and buyers alike.

Amen Ricky. I am not so impressed with the theatres themselves, they were nothing special. But it has been a space that has been willing to show some stuff that doesn't get shown in the big plexes. Thank goodness for the Royal and a couple of other places that seem to be willing to look beyond which movie could top the North American box office this week.

Back