News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Critique this Berczy Two Bedroom Floor Plan - Go at it!

SpadinaBus

Member Bio
Reaction score
What do you think of this floor plan? I'm looking at it for Saturday's launch.

planc1.jpg

nice layout but I just can't stand linear kitchens... I like the size of the living room and there's no wasted space. It's also a wide suite which is a nicer look than the typical bowling alley suites.

I'm for linear kitchens. It's odd to people because we expect it to be a room unto itself, but linear kitchens is what allows for greater living and dining space.

It's wide along the windows so no bowling alley feel whatsoever. Master is a great size as is the second bedroom. And I like where the W/D is... in the bedroom, where your clothes are. :)

C4 isn't compromable to this one, IMHO. All personal preference, yes, but I prefer the wide floor plan as opposed to a long floor plan.

Some negatives (which are probably more helpful to you than positives):

- Interior (no windows) second bedroom
- No foyer (where do you keep shoes, drop off keys, etc?)
- Small living space for a two-bedroom
- Linear kitchen is a negative if you don't like the look of appliances

I'm for linear kitchens. It's odd to people because we expect it to be a room unto itself, but linear kitchens is what allows for greater living and dining space.

It's wide along the windows so no bowling alley feel whatsoever. Master is a great size as is the second bedroom. And I like where the W/D is... in the bedroom, where your clothes are. :)

C4 isn't compromable to this one, IMHO. All personal preference, yes, but I prefer the wide floor plan as opposed to a long floor plan.

It's all personal preferendce but here's why I don't like linear kitchens:

1) limited storage and counter space
2) kitchen is virtually in the middle of your living area
3) big clunky appliances are generally ugly, I'd rather have them tucked away
4) no clear division between kitchen and living room which makes it more difficult to decorate around

On this particular project the fridge and the dishwasher are fully integrated with same panels as the kitchen cupboards, there is a separate oven and an electric cooktop. On a linear kitchen I don't think these are big clunky appliances.

A very spacious layout, indeed. Great living space, including exposure to windows -- unliike a lot of the narrow layouts. However, I'm also not a fan of the linear kitchen.
Also, the w/d in the master bed doesn't lend a hand to a 2 bedroom rental. A few more sq ft and potential of turning the den into a second bedroom are models B7 and B8.
I would most likely lean toward these units in lieu of a C1 (despite only having one shower).

I am going to order up a matching island for the kitchen. I had a friend do that in my building I am in and it worked out great. Not going to be a rental.
I looked at B8 but it was the same price as C1. Didnt make sense to me.

That sounds like a solid way of breaking up the kitchen area from the living area. I didn't think Concert would permit such requests but good to know they do.
I can't believe C1 went for $480 w/o parking. Does that include the large terrace or does it include the standard balcony (which I believe is still a fair size at 100 sq ft?)
This building is golden!

I am going to order up a matching island for the kitchen. I had a friend do that in my building I am in and it worked out great. Not going to be a rental.
I looked at B8 but it was the same price as C1. Didnt make sense to me.

If you're getting an island, then I'm assuming you plan on forgoing a dining table, etc and perhaps integrate a breakfast bar into the island?

Yes, that is the plan, although I am hoping that I can come up with a design that has a counter height workspace with storage underneath, then a lower section for a 4 seat dining area with a stainless steel column support on the other end. The Counter would be the quartz to match the kitchen top and the dining area be made of wood. A custom piece, but I think I could make it work with two different surfaces at different levels, incorporating a wine rack or something like that. Anyone seen any good examples of what I am talking about?

I'd go with the island for sure; the way it is now it doesn't look like much counterspace. I cook/bake a lot so counterspace is key for me! Love the location of the W/D. Second bedroom has no window which could be an issue for some.

I wouldn't go with an island. Your place is nice and open. I'm concerned that if you install an island you will not be able to fit a dining table. You will want this if your ever entertain (even if its for a poker night). If you can hide many of your appliances behind panels that match your cabinets than this will look great. With such an open space you do need to create different spaces - ie distinct dining area and distinct living area. I wouldn't put the sofa against the wall where you'll be looking at the kitchen. Instead I would position the sofa to the left of the living room so it creates a barrier between the living and dining room. You could then put the tv on the wall where the sofa is now.

I like having an island as well.

I don't know if you will be doing much entertaining or use the kitchen a lot, but I think having a long counter-height stainless steel table on wheels would double as kitchen island and dining room table.
This keeps your space more flexible and you are not committing to anything fixed/permanent like installing a real island.
You could place this table/island closer towards the kitchen cabinets so that you will have more room for the living room.

Back