News   Jul 16, 2024
 686     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 605     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 745     2 

Corktown

I assume you can walk from St. Lawrence to River through Underpass Park? I'm surprised Trolley Crescent isn't open for cars yet.
Yes you can use Underpass Park between St Lawrence and River. However the new section along Eastern between St Lawrence and the overpass is not yet open, for unknown reasons, since it's 100% complete - it's all fenced in.

Trolley Cres is not yet fully open because most of it is being occupied by construction for River City phase 2.

But back to the traffic light at King & Sumach - it's a very complicated intersection now - even though it was previously a lot wider, it was much safer for pedestrians - especially on the south side since there was the pedestrian island to turn from EB King to SB Sumach.

The new signal timing is ridiculous now - especially in the absence of streetcar service for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Quite a bit of retail activity in the last few weeks in Corktown on King East. Some empty store fronts filling up with Wine Rack and Odin Hus at the 510 King east condo building and A new dessert shop at King & Power called Roselle.

Quite a bit of work being done inside at King & St. Lawrence(I've heard a restaurant) at 573 King east and something seems to be going into the unit west of Tim Horton's at King/River...

Quite a bit of work being done inside at King & St. Lawrence(I've heard a restaurant) at 573 King east and something seems to be going into the unit west of Tim Horton's at King/River...
A Waterfront Toronto newsletter issued yesterday identifies it as a medical clinic and pharmacy. Apparently there's a signage permit filed for "Health Shields Pharmacy".

I was hoping for a more substantial Shoppers or Rexall, but judging by the split of space between the clinic and pharmacy, this will be more of a "pure" pharmacy space perhaps with a few sundries.

Two questions - can anyone explain the movements of the Volvo folks from their place on Trinity & Eastern? Is Honda demolishing that building for their 11-storey car-plex?

And just randomly -- I know that the Staples on Front & Berkley had been sold, but havent seen any developer plans pop up, does anyone know the status?

Two questions - can anyone explain the movements of the Volvo folks from their place on Trinity & Eastern? Is Honda demolishing that building for their 11-storey car-plex?

And just randomly -- I know that the Staples on Front & Berkley had been sold, but havent seen any developer plans pop up, does anyone know the status?

The Staples site was, apparently, bought by Greenpark Homes. They are just starting on Axiom (Adelaide and Ontario) so I would expect them to have that well underway before they do anything with the Staples site.

I haven't written our councillor about this in awhile, but does anyone have any new made-up, bs dates for the King streetcar to return to service along King East?

With the cold weather taking some streetcars off King Street (cuz hey, why bother putting up to date technology on the most used streetcar line, right?) the buses they've been running have taken to doing a loop south on Parliament-Front-Trinity and then westward on King. It hasn't been fun standing on the Northwest corner, waiting for your streetcar to come down Parliament only to see the replacement bus whiz by along King.

I haven't written our councillor about this in awhile, but does anyone have any new made-up, bs dates for the King streetcar to return to service along King East?

With the cold weather taking some streetcars off King Street (cuz hey, why bother putting up to date technology on the most used streetcar line, right?) the buses they've been running have taken to doing a loop south on Parliament-Front-Trinity and then westward on King. It hasn't been fun standing on the Northwest corner, waiting for your streetcar to come down Parliament only to see the replacement bus whiz by along King.

This keeps coming up at the West Don Lands Committee and other public meetings and last word I heard was "February" but the TTC website has it as May (which seems more likely as we are at Feb 24th today. The problem is the work that Infrastructure Ontario have had to do to stabilise the bridge. No doubt they will have been taken by surprise by winter's arrival. It is indicative that the TTC has stopped installing new overhead around Sumach/Cherry. (A few months ago they installed some just west of the intersection but then went away, probably to do work that is more urgently needed.

This was reported at the January WDL meeting..

IO has completed installing all but three micro piles. The work is expected to be completed by early 2015. The work entails:
 Jacking the bridge to take the load off;
 Installation of the remaining micro piles;
 Form and install the pile caps; and
 Then transfer the bridge load back onto the reinforced columns.

The Acura dealer seems ready to move (from Front/Lower Sherbourne) into the space formerly occupied by Volvo Volvo:

Application:
Sign Permit
Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#:
15 120900 SGN 00 SP
Accepted Date:
Feb 24, 2015

Project:
First Party New

Description:
In conjunction with an existing car dealership, to erect and display four wall signs, three of which are illuminated, on the southerly and westerly elevation. **ACURA DOWNTOWN**

This keeps coming up at the West Don Lands Committee and other public meetings and last word I heard was "February" but the TTC website has it as May (which seems more likely as we are at Feb 24th today.
TTC website says April today. But it said February last week. Sigh.

Not a big surprise, as the construction sign on the bridge itself was changed to Spring last fall. Which seemed to preclude February.

For what it's worth, The Walrus is moving into Corktown at Richmond & Ontario.
Technically Richmond and Ontario is in St Lawrence. The St Lawrence BIA and neighbourhood assn. boundaries run from Queen to the rail berm and Parliament to Yonge. Corktown runs from Berkeley east to the Don and, yes, there is an overlap block. In any case it is good to have Walrus in the vicinity!

Back