News   Mar 28, 2024
 468     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 389     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 740     0 

Corktown

Cocina Econimica on Berkeley Street closed down and was very quickly replaced with a store called "Sunshine Market" which apparently has an existing location on College in Little Italy.. It looks mostly like grab and go juice, smoothies, wraps, breakfast food, etc., at the high end of the price range for these things. It feels like a rather odd location for a new outpost of this kind of store. I don't understand why Cocina Economica shut down as it always looked busy inside, even during the winter, and in the summer they certainly had a full patio in addition to people inside.

Last edited:
Cocina Econimica on Berkeley Street closed down...

Boo, we liked that restaurant quite a bit, went many times though not since last fall. They were a bit inconsistent but generally good and there's nothing else like it anywhere in St. Lawrence/Corktown. We are now back to zero Mexican options outside that overpriced place in the Distillery. Yet there are like literally 25 places I can walk to to get a pizza. I like pizza but geesh.

I passed by the Berkeley Church today and noticed the whole Queen Street side was boarded up against the sidewalk with hoarding and there was a new City issued development proposal up for what looks like a "three story" structure. I went by in the streetcar so fast I didn't have time to see exactly what it was. Note that this was not the event centre. It is the Church itself. What is this?

Last edited:
I passed by the Berkeley Church today and noticed the whole Queen Street side was boarded up against the sidewalk with hoarding and there was a new City issued development proposal up for what looks like a "three story" structure. I went by in the streetcar so fast I didn't have time to see exactly what it was. Note that this was not the event centre. It is the Church itself. What is this?
Here is the text:
Proposed use for this site is a 3 Storey Parking Complex, Garbage Treatment Facility, and Adult Entertainment Centre.

Passing by again now I see the hoarding is now all covered in graffiti and ads. I get the feeling this might actually be all fake for a TV or a movie shoot. Good job on the City development proposal though. It looks exactly like a real one.

Last edited:
Passing by again now I see the hoarding is now all covered in graffiti and ads. I get the feeling this might actually be all fake for a TV or a movie shoot. Good job on the City development proposal though. It looks exactly like a real one.
And as fast as it went up it's all gone. It turns out it was a film or TV shoot of some kind.
Anyway, for posterity, here is the City Notice they put up on the hoarding.
I guess I should have noticed the development proposal ends in "LOLZ". Someone clearly had fun making this sign.

Does anyone know what is the construction which is going on south of the Go tracks west of Don river. It south of the Corktown area but north of Gardiner.

Yes but there are actually TWO sites. The one to the north and west (immediately south of the berm and east of Cherry) is the waterfront sewage pumping station while the other one, south of the bike path, is the Gardiner staging/prep area.

what is the ETA for the Gardiner work? Is there a thread for that?

Back