News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 818     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 783     1 

Corktown District (King & Sumach, Streetcar, to 6s, Quadrangle)

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
This project doesn't seem to have its own thread, but it's also a Streetcar development in the same neighbourhood - Queen City Vinegar Co. Lofts.

Mar15-09038.jpg

Mar15-09039.jpg

Its been a while so I thought I would take some quick updates for phase 1. Not the best pics but they give an idea of the progress made. They seem to be doing all the work without standard cranes.

549 king

569 King

52 Sumach

The Towns being built on the other side of Sumach (on Bright Street) look like they're entirely divided by drywall. It's nuts. And their pre-construction price tag is 800k.

I would spend my money on something better than this.

I think the condos are a good value, and the buildings themselves will be interesting. It's a pretty quick walkable trip from this nabe to Bay Street, St Lawrence, et al.

The townhomes leave me a bit cold, especially given homes in the surrounding area go for $350-550K for 1000-1500sqft.

apparently there are now "urban Towns" included in this development, they look pretty nice and are already under construction, there are recent construction photos (August 18th) on the website http://www.corktowndistrict.com/flash.php
under the "urban towns" section.
anyone who feels like posting those photos on here....

I really like this development, although it seems to keep growing! haha

Aug 14

These projects should have their own threads.

560 King
IMG_aug-14-09-0031.jpg

IMG_aug-14-09-0032.jpg

54?
IMG_aug-14-09-0033.jpg

IMG_aug-14-09-0034.jpg

5??
IMG_aug-14-09-0035.jpg

IMG_aug-14-09-0038.jpg

IMG_aug-14-09-0039.jpg

IMG_aug-14-09-0050.jpg

Sumach (on Bright Street)
IMG_aug-14-09-0053.jpg

IMG_aug-14-09-0054.jpg

IMG_aug-14-09-0055.jpg

IMG_aug-14-09-0056.jpg

Drum - you want separate threads, and then you go and post all the various projects in one post. That's the problem with this set of buildings: few know which building is which, and there's so little traffic regrading them anyway, why not keep them in one thread where the confusion can be contained and addressed?

I agree, one thread is OK for this project. Each of the three ~50 unit boutique buildings (52 Sumach, 549 King, 569 King) are very close, and will share parking/amenities with 510 King (much larger) and the Bright St. townhomes.

Old photo (distorted, makes each building look bigger than it really is):
corktown-phase.jpg

The large banner on 510 King was in the process of being removed on Saturday.

Does anyone know about this situation?

http://twitter.com/TrafficServices/status/3512950393

Sumach closed between King/Cherry/Eastern. Crane may possibly topple over. Construction site and nearby residents evacuated. Avoid area

Last edited:
Something was happening there this morning at 9:40 as I was spirited downtown on the 504 - the front doors of several of the Corktown Brownstones were open with people looking out, firetrucks on Sumach, some police, etc.

Something was happening there this morning at 9:40 as I was spirited downtown on the 504 - the front doors of several of the Corktown Brownstones were open with people looking out, firetrucks on Sumach, some police, etc.

You creative types, clocking into work at 10am for a gruelling 6 hour day! At my hour the 504 is full of bankers, and that's the way I likes it!

It was nice last week - we were routed along Dundas for a change, past the new Regent Park buildings and down Parliament. I love what's happening in the east end now - all these smallish developments along King, Rivertowne ( took a walk through on Saturday - people have moved back in ), the Distillery, S&P's upcoming Trouble in River City development, and goodness knows what else eventually. Obscure little streets like Ashby and Percy, full of dowdy charm twenty years ago, now look almost chic.

Concerns over crane toppling at downtown construction site
Web Staff, cp24.com

There are concerns a crane may topple at a construction site in the Sumach and King Streets area of the downtown core on Monday morning.

A number of emergency officials continue to secure the scene as they work to ensure everyone in the area remains safe.

Rescue officials were first called to the site after it was reported that the crane operator was trapped in the machine, and that it might be unstable.

Toronto Fire says the crane has stabilized and the operator is now out of the machine. The people in a home on the crane's path have been evacuated.

There are no reports of injuries.

Wow. Streetcar's really fond of drywall, aren't they? First Edge, now this. Hope the neighbours don't mind hearing each other taking a piss.

Back