News   Jun 26, 2024
 100     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Corktown District (King & Sumach, Streetcar, to 6s, Quadrangle)

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
52 Sumach

Purchaser at 52 Sumach - we received both a newsletter from Corktown outlining the reason for the delays and a letter (just yesterday) formally extending occupancy to May 29, 2009. You should be receiving something soon.

The OMB prehearing on the development was held on April 17th. The OMB has not updated their site with the results of the the hearing. Anyone know what happened?

Thanks Jayzie
I still have yet to receive a letter but did get a call early last week from Streetcar kindly letting me know that my 1+Den is now just a 1-bedroom due to the set back issue with 52 Sumach on the NW corner of the building. Awesome.

I still have yet to receive a letter but did get a call early last week from Streetcar kindly letting me know that my 1+Den is now just a 1-bedroom due to the set back issue with 52 Sumach on the NW corner of the building. Awesome.

Lovely...however, you do have an "out" now from your contract since reducing the size constitutes a material change.

Streetcar and the city seem to have come to an agreement on all the "side" issues...visitor parking, garbage pickup, etc. Now the only stumbling block is the site plan (specifically proposed height). Based upon the decision document, there seems to be quite a bit of opposition to this development. The OMB hearing is scheduled over 2 days beginning June 19th. The OMB regularly sides with developers, so everything may well be settled by the mid summer.

Design Review Panel will consider the following at its meeting at
Toronto City Hall on Thursday, June 26 at 12:00 p.m. in
Committee Room 2.

REPORTS
1:30 P.M.
Streetcar Developments Inc.’s mixed-use project at
510, 512 and 530 King Street East will be before the
panel for a second time. Presentations will be made by
Leslie Klein (Quadrangle Architects), Toronto community
planner Greg Pereira and urban designer
Andrea Old. Streetcar is seeking site plan approval and
first presented the development to the panel in March.

Very interesting VoR, but where does the design review panel fit in with the approvals process? Seems odd that the design review is taking place after the OMB hearing which wraps up today. Perhaps OMB is just to settle the height issue...

Very interesting VoR, but where does the design review panel fit in with the approvals process? Seems odd that the design review is taking place after the OMB hearing which wraps up today. Perhaps OMB is just to settle the height issue...

Yes, I didn't realize this existed or that this development was being reviewed...quickly looking at the City's website it looks like the Design Review Panel "DRP" is a 2 yr pilot project “...helps to achieve one of the key goals of the Official Plan and City Council's Clean and Beautiful City Initiative to achieve high quality architecture, landscape architecture and urban design that improves the public realm," said Ted Tyndorf, Toronto's Chief Planner. "The members participating on the panel are highly experienced professionals who will make a significant contribution to the application process." Looking further the King-Parliament Area is one of the areas subject to the DRP for the pilot project.

Given that the focus seems to be on design I'm assuming the OMB will resolve the height issue and the DRP will make sure it's pretty.

Hi,
My name is Sam and I am the new Communications Manager for Streetcar.

I wanted to take a moment to clear up some confusion:

The OMB hearing pertains to Phase 1 of our Corktown development, i.e. the buildings at 549 & 569 King Street East and 52 Sumach Street. The short two-day hearing successfully concluded last Friday, with the City of Toronto attending in full support. Though decisions in these matters usually take a fair bit of time to be reached, we have been advised that a decision in this instance is imminent.

As for the DRP, this is an advisory panel. Our appearance yesterday was to discuss Phase 2 of the Corktown development, which will be located at 510 King Street East.

The process entails two separate appearances for all projects; this was our second on Phase 2. It was highly successful, with the panel voting in favour of our plans.

Hopefully this clears up some questions some of you may have had. If you live in Corktown, watch for our regular newsletters for updates, or you can also e-mail me with your questions at corktowndistrict@streetcar.ca.

Sam, thank you for both joining and for clearing up the details. We like to have the facts straight here!

FWIW, Toronto Hydro put those orange utility wire protectors up in front of 569 King E. over the weekend so I would imagine that they are actually about to get along to demo the existing building soon (the streetcar sign was removed a few weeks back).

"As we speak", Enbridge are cutting off the gas supply in the street, I think the Hydro is already cut and they seem to be demolishing inside. We may soon see some building activity, or maybe another carpark like the Streetcar site at King and Sumach.

Back