News   May 17, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 802     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.9K     7 

Condo walls for hanging flatscreen TV?

BTW, when we hung our TV from our wood studs, we used the lag bolts that were included in the package. Lag bolts, not construction screws (and definitely not drywall screws) are what the TV mount manufacturers generally recommend for larger mounts on wood studs.

As you should. I never once said you should mount the mount with drywall screws, I said it's OK to mount PLYWOOD with drywall screws. A very important difference.

With the LED TV getting better and cheaper, this shouldn't be as much as a problem. LED are slimmer and much more lighter than the LCD and plasma TV's. Still expensive, but should reduce in price over the coming years.

The LED's themselves will be replaced by OLED, which can be even thinner (and flexible). Still very expensive though.

Last edited:
LED are slimmer and much more lighter than the LCD and plasma TV's.

Current LED TV's are LCD panels with LED backlighting....resulting in a lower colour gamut then CCFL lit panels.

The LED's themselves will be replaced by OLED, which can be even thinner (and flexible). Still very expensive though.

You're mixing up your technologies.

I think it'd more accurate to say that LED LCD may be replaced by OLED, the latter doesn't require a backlight, and re: LED backlighting - I think the issue is using white LEDs; if RGB arrays are used, the colour gamut is actually greater than CCFL ones.

AoD

I think it'd more accurate to say that LED LCD may be replaced by OLED, the latter doesn't require a backlight,

You could say that about plasma and CRT as well.

; if RGB arrays are used, the colour gamut is actually greater than CCFL ones.

Then you have the problem of maintaining white balance, as the blue LEDs age at a faster rate.

I was at Best Buy on the weekend picking up a Nexus 7. While I was there, I had a look at the plasmas and was pleasantly surprised at just how thin they're becoming. The thinnest ones are much, much thinner than before, and thinner than even some of the LED models. It seems that higher end plasma TVs under 5 cm thick are becoming relatively common now, whereas low end LEDs are upwards of 10 cm (twice as thick!). However, the high end LED models are still much thinner at around 3 cm.

Oh and the nicest colour and black level I've had, with effectively no video processing delay, was my HD CRT. I even had it professionally calibrated. However, it was 175 lbs for just a 34" model. Imagine trying to put that on the wall. ;) I'm disappointed that we will never see SED.

Back