News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 595     1 

Condo Upgrades

I bought a unit at Emerald city. If I want to get a smooth ceiling, do I tell them on the day where I will be choosing the finishing (they told me it will be 6 months before the occupancy date)?

How much do they usuallly cost?

Also, does anyone knows how much to upgrade to pot lights? How difficult it is to get an independent contractor does it for?

newbuyer ... smooth ceilings and other upgrades will be done during your colour selection and electrical appointment, which is typically after the 'notice of official construction start' has been given

I think condo potlights go for $300 - $450 a piece ... and aftermarket electrical work is next to impossible in a condo since you are not allowed to drill into concrete ceilings or walls which divide your suite from abutting neighbours .... unless you have an existing bulkhead in your suite where you can install potlights aftermarket, the only way to get potlights is through the builder (for an arm and a leg) plus you have to lower your ceiling height by approximately 1 feet ... which may not be worth it IMO

to give you an idea on cost for smooth ceilings:

X Condominiums

i think it's worth the $1345 for smooth ceilings.
the cost is about ~$2 psf when you exclude the bath and kitchen areas which are already smooth.

Park Lake

They charged me in the 1,400 dollar range for 575 SF. I do anticipate to put the cost of all my upgrades when selling my unit and you can bet that I'll be advertising the smooth ceilings like no tomorrow;)

aren't most condos have concrete ceiling?

all ceilings are concrete;
but i think the main issue we're discussing here is if the unit has a dropped ceiling where electrical, etc are in place; or if the unit's ceilling is the underside of the concrete slab above.

if that is the case, electrical and other mechanicals would have had to be incorporated into the building construction before the concrete was poured.

I really like the glass bath screen pictured below and want to do something similar in my unit at Boutique. The only condos I know offering this standard or as an upgrade are X-Condos and Charlie. I was wondering if anyone here knows who/where I can go to get this done. I've already tried contacting Great Gulf and Cecconi Simone (the designer for both condos) and have not heard back from either of them.. which only makes sense. With that being said, any help would be greatly appreciated!

WESTENDBath.jpg

Anyone know how much to upgrade a shower to have that rainforest head? Or how much (or if it's even possible) to do it on your own?

Anyone know how much to upgrade a shower to have that rainforest head? Or how much (or if it's even possible) to do it on your own?

don't know about cost, but if you're looking to have it overhead and hidden like the picture, that requires re-plumbing, drywall, tiling, etc.

there are rainforest shower-heads that can be simply attached to an existing shower-head.

While aesthetically, the rain shower head is great, they are completely useless practically. Water pressure is poor and because they are fixed and not on an angle, you have to completely step outside the water (and freeze) when you want to wash your hair or soap your body, then step back under. If you can find an angled one, I think you'll be much happier. As for the glass, any shower store can install it for you for around $1000, including a door.

I have seen similar designs in interior design magazines. If you want to have a hidden overhead shower head like that, you probably need to lower the bathroom ceiling a bit to include an electrical pump to stabilize water pressure.

Water pressure isn't affected by the angle of the shower head, nor is an extra pump required for that shower head.
Simply extend the pipe to your desired location and attach the head.

Water pressure isn't affected by the angle of the shower head, nor is an extra pump required for that shower head.
Simply extend the pipe to your desired location and attach the head.

You're correct in that rain pressure isn't affected by the angle of the shower head, I didn't say that. However, rain shower heads are designed to make it feel like it's raining. Gentle rain, not a torrential downpour which would be what most shower heads get you. The amount of water flow is severely limited and ends up being pretty useless.

Are developers willing to throw in upgrades for free rather then adjust the price (-1/2% off purchase price)? Has anyone ever tried to get a few unpgrades thrown in ?..what happend ?

Are developers willing to throw in upgrades for free rather then adjust the price (-1/2% off purchase price)? Has anyone ever tried to get a few unpgrades thrown in ?..what happend ?

When I purchased my place back in 2006, the special of that day was something like, $6000 in free upgrades or 2% off the purchase price. I took the price reduction.

You're free to negotiate what you like.. it's up to them to accept your offer or not. Can't hurt to ask..

Wanted to revive the whole Home Renovation Tax Credit on condo upgrades thing...

I don't have an accountant but I was wondering if anyelse had spone to one about this?

I was looking through the law and this is how i interpert it...

Eligibility Period

The credit will apply only to the 2009 taxation year. Expenditures for work performed, or goods acquired, after January 27, 2009 and before February 1, 2010, will be eligible for the credit.

Which I see as meaning, I purchased new hardwood floor, kitchen and counters for my condo within this date and paid for them, they just haven't been installed.

Second part..

Eligible Dwellings

In the case of condominiums and co-operative housing corporations, the credit will be available for eligible expenditures incurred to renovate the unit that is eligible to be the individual’s principal residence as well as the individual’s share of the cost of eligible expenditures incurred in respect of common areas.

It says the credit is available for expenses incurred to renovate the unit that is eligible to be the individuals principle residence... As in, in the future...

Here is the link:
http://www.budget.gc.ca/2009/plan/bpa5a-eng.asp#Personal

Any thoughts?

Home Reno Tax Credit

Having paid for substantial upgrades for my particular unit, and during the eligible period when the Home Renovation Tax is in effect peaked my curiosity no doubt. Would I in fact be eligible for a $1350 rebate as a result?

After doing research on my own I, unfortunately have come to the conclusion that I am not even in spite of the claim that: "the credit is available for expenses incurred to renovate the unit that is eligible to be the individuals principle residence... As in, in the future..."

Two main reasons (a few minor ones as well but let's focus on the crème de la crèm)_:

An eligible dwelling of an individual is a housing unit located in Canada. All the following conditions must be met:

* You own at the time of the renovation or alteration

Secondly:

"Important Notice
Eligible expenses for goods acquired during this period, even if they are installed after January 2010, will still qualify. If an eligible expense involves work performed by a contractor or a third party, and the work is not completed by the end of the eligible period, only the portion that is completed before February 1, 2010 will qualify even if a payment has been made."

The fact that I am not the owner of the place during the eligible period plus that the work has to been install during the eligible period in spite of the fact that I paid for 75% of it. No work will be done until Fall 2010.

So by by Home Improvement Renovation Tax

Adieu

Sorry if this question has been answered already here or elsewhere in the forum, but does anyone know what the standard thickness of interior walls are in condominiums? (I haven't moved in to my place yet so I can't answer that question for myself)

I'm looking to wall mount my tv and will need a recessed power outlet installed behind it. Thanks in advance!

Back