News   Jul 23, 2024
 38     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 232     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 825     1 

Clubland vs. Residential

If Vaughn is against it, then this project must be a good thing for the city.

I know why Vaughan is against this club (it would be inconsistent to favour this anyway), but like Darkstar, I think Circa would probably be one of the best clubs for the district and one that could very well be a much better neighbour than the others.

I think there is a lot of merit in his argument that clubland is a victim of its own success, and that restricting clubs to this district is not sound public policy anymore.

The mere "Vaughn (sic) is against it, then it's good for the city" thinking is a bit simplistic, though I do understand why some here don't care for his politics.

Funny, a number of folks here seem to hate the club district, but hope Peter Gatien and his big box club will deliver the area from amplified mediocrity. I have the opposite view; the club district is doing fine where it is, and anybody who moved into a condo near there had plenty of other options. I love the club district, because it contains a high concentration of people downtown whom I can very easily avoid.
I don't know why a bigger production of a club like Circa is supposed to elevate the bar for club district establishments, so to speak/ pun intended. Deejays in each bathroom, Bruce La Bruce chessiness on the walls, maybe a professional ass-wiper in each stall, what sophistication... if you're ripped on coke and special K... Limelight in NYC was synonymous with rampant hard drug use and availability for many years. It was one of those spots where any tourist could pick up whatever they needed. Our hotel's staff even let us know, without us asking (dunno how we were ever mistaken for ravers, but I digress). I think it is perfectly natural for the LLBO to move carefully with respect to granting Peter Gatien a license.

Now that Harry Stinson has disappeared beneath the combined waves his own incompetence, debt and mismanagement, should we start a pool on when the bailiff's notice will appear on the doors of Circa?

Peter and his partners are running a very tight ship, and having toured the club a few times, it is unlike anything we or even other cities has had.

This building (250 Richmond St W - Joe/Whisky Saigon) was mentioned earlier in this thread.

The building was purchased by CTV in August of 2007, I noticed this afternoon it was in the midst of an exterior makeover.

I think I took the first photo in October of last year, the other two are from this afternoon.

250RichmondStW.jpg

250RichmondStW1.jpg

250RichmondStW2.jpg

Back