News   Jul 22, 2024
 551     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 621     0 

Clubland vs. Residential

lobby isn't a club...it's a 'lounge/bar'. which is what mainly populates the streets of college, queen, and pretty much every other street in the downtown core outside the 'club district'. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is - I would imagine size, amount of people - but they do well all over the city, and it's usually what people 'graduate' to after their richmond clubbing days are behind them.

it still, however, pretty much comes down to drunken debauchery on the streets at 2am.

if anything though, it's worse. seeing a bunch of 30 somethings spill out on to the streets drunk, horny, wearing clothes they shouldn't be wearing, and stumbling all over the place is not a pretty sight. believe you me.

this last article just brought chills to my spine! this Province and its bureaucracy must end!

Circa will be worth checking out - the musk-like scent of hubris maximus, the possibility of experiencing something grotesque on a gargantuan scale, both draw me on.

this last article just brought chills to my spine! this Province and its bureaucracy must end!

After a two-year investigation and five-week trial, Gatien was acquitted of drug trafficking. He was found guilty of tax evasion. He was fined $1.9 million and spent 60 days in jail but continued to run his clubs.

Also, as promoter, Gatien hired Michael Alig, who was convicted of killing Angel Melendez in what was known as New York's Club Kid murder, fictionalized in the 2003 film Party Monster.

Welcome to the neighbourhood?

True Dance Clubs

There are hardly any true dance clubs in Toronto. And none of them are in the club district. Every so-called club in that area is an abberation of what a club should be. The music hardly varies from one venue to the next. Djs have no distinction. Soundsystems are moderate at best save a few. And most people that attend those clubs are only interested in hearing the same bunch of songs they had pumpin' in their car 30 minutes prior on the drive down the dvp.
I've been clubbing for years and it's very rare that I enter a club in the district and actually feel like dancing.
Incidentally, the club district area was founded by one of the best clubs in Toronto ever when it was the ONLY club in club district - Twilight Zone.
oops, I've just dated myself.

But yes, i also agree it is ridiculous to have a by-law against clubs in certain areas. What happends if you have a very large bar, you are playing music at a moderate volume and people enjoy themselves so much that they start dancing? Do the dance police show up? You show them Kevin Bacon.

kdub333, i will also date myself by adding 23 hop to the list of pioneers of the entertainment district. too bad its home at 318 Richmond is about to be knocked down for yet another condo

as long as the Hell's Angels need places to launder money and sell drugs the entertainment district will be around

IMO, Toronto residents should have priority over clubs that appeal mostly to outsiders. I don't care if the clubs were there first, times change and the city now wishes to increase the density of its housing.

I went a few times to that club on Duncan south of Queen that opened in about 1986 - Stillife I think it was called. It was the first of them, owned by Charles Khabouth, and it launched the Entertainment District.

lobby isn't a club...it's a 'lounge/bar'. which is what mainly populates the streets of college, queen, and pretty much every other street in the downtown core outside the 'club district'. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is - I would imagine size, amount of people - but they do well all over the city, and it's usually what people 'graduate' to after their richmond clubbing days are behind them.

True. Having been to Lobby, however, I'd think it should still fall under the nightclub classification. I guess not due to size and the other factors you mentioned.

it still, however, pretty much comes down to drunken debauchery on the streets at 2am.

if anything though, it's worse. seeing a bunch of 30 somethings spill out on to the streets drunk, horny, wearing clothes they shouldn't be wearing, and stumbling all over the place is not a pretty sight. believe you me.

I wonder how many people posting stuff like this still actually go to clubs (or ever went). A lot of these descriptions are over the top. Sure, you'll definitely get characters like that - but most are pretty regular people.

Isn't Gatien's Circa supposed to include art galleries and "diversity"?
Yup, it's also being promoted heavily in the gay scene. It remains to be seen though if queer people will feel comfortable partying in that nabe.

lobby isn't a club...it's a 'lounge/bar'. which is what mainly populates the streets of college, queen, and pretty much every other street in the downtown core outside the 'club district'. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is - I would imagine size, amount of people - but they do well all over the city, and it's usually what people 'graduate' to after their Richmond clubbing days are behind them.
Lounges/bars can't have dance floors would be one major distinction. I'm not saying that people don't dance at these spaces, but officially, it's a no-no. Many places skirt the law by having tables set-up randomly on the dance "area" and other such similar games.

There are hardly any true dance clubs in Toronto. And none of them are in the club district. Every so-called club in that area is an aberration of what a club should be. The music hardly varies from one venue to the next. Djs have no distinction. Sound systems are moderate at best save a few. And most people that attend those clubs are only interested in hearing the same bunch of songs they had pumpin' in their car 30 minutes prior on the drive down the dvp. I've been clubbing for years and it's very rare that I enter a club in the district and actually feel like dancing. Incidentally, the club district area was founded by one of the best clubs in Toronto ever when it was the ONLY club in club district - Twilight Zone. oops, I've just dated myself.
Well said. I've said it myself before and was accused of being a snob, but whatever, I'm going to say it again. Clubland offers nothing that any true "clubber" or "music enthusiast" or "PLUR-type" person would ever be caught dead in. With the exception of the late System Soundbar and the late Jet (and one or two others over the years), clubland has been exactly what you said above. Moreover, for anyone that's travelled, it's a pretty embarrassing assortment of people, music and spaces that I'd never dream of taking an out-of-towner to. Basically, you won't read about anything in clubland in Mixmag, Jockey Slut or any other reputable dance publication. Not that mainstream clubs and music don't have a place, but this is mainstream-palooza in downtown Toronto and it's a bit much. I really find it at odds with the more organic party scene in Toronto that occurs starting steps away from clubland.

Strangely enough, the last great club Toronto had was located at King W & Strachan and most people in the neighbourhood didn't even know it existed (unless they wanted to partake in the goodness). Yes I'm talking about Industry and yes it's a good case that well managed clubs can exist anywhere with little impact on the surrounding neighbourhood if done right.

More on Industry here:

http://www.journalism.ryerson.ca/online/krazy/deto/ind.htm#story

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2255707223

I went a few times to that club on Duncan south of Queen that opened in about 1986 - Stillife I think it was called. It was the first of them, owned by Charles Khabouth, and it launched the Entertainment District.
I think you might be talking about The Limelight which was one of the other brighter lights in the hood.

toronto had a great scene back in the late 90's and early 00's. when i think of the culture & style this city has lost, i get all depressed. :(:(:(

toronto had a great scene back in the late 90's and early 00's. when i think of the culture & style this city has lost, i get all depressed. :(:(:(

I find every generation says this. You can find as much culture and style now as you could back then.

Well said. I've said it myself before and was accused of being a snob, but whatever, I'm going to say it again. Clubland offers nothing that any true "clubber" or "music enthusiast" or "PLUR-type" person would ever be caught dead in. With the exception of the late System Soundbar and the late Jet (and one or two others over the years), clubland has been exactly what you said above. Moreover, for anyone that's travelled, it's a pretty embarrassing assortment of people, music and spaces that I'd never dream of taking an out-of-towner to. Basically, you won't read about anything in clubland in Mixmag, Jockey Slut or any other reputable dance publication. Not that mainstream clubs and music don't have a place, but this is mainstream-palooza in downtown Toronto and it's a bit much. I really find it at odds with the more organic party scene in Toronto that occurs starting steps away from clubland.

Well, this is true for the most part but you can find special events, guest DJ's etc in a lot of these clubs on certain ocassions. I'm not sure what a "true clubber" is, but a lot of people are just going out to have a good time, and this is what many of these clubs provide. I would also say the quality does vary from club to club - it just takes some diligence to find them.

Back