News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

CityPlace

This is City property and is actually 'reserved' for the future LRT on Bremner - which will certainly not happen for decades. Report it to 311 as being in need of 'gardening'.

So we can see what's being discussed:

1620692312623.png

Those shrubs are clearly very healthy..............so what's going on here?

1) This is clearly a place where people cross. Unless that is going to be obstructed, there is zero point to replanting the large bare area; it needs to be hardscaped with interlocking pavers.

2) The edge-line around the shrubs looks like a salt issue.................though I have to say, that is some crappy looking soil.......you're not going to have too many plants happy about that. Looks like sand/gravel and moderately compacted too.

Best to edge the shrubs with a healthy coating of woodchip mulch, and not even plant anything for 1 year, just let it dissolve into the soil; ideally rotor til first.

3) That's wide enough to support trees; they should put a row down the middle.

4) They should combat salt spray by raising the curb height. Ideally much higher, but I'd settle for 15cm

Below is the Bremner median just west of Spadina:

1620692787124.png

Note that here, you have moderately healthy trees (though these are not the originals)..........but now the shrubs look terrible. Hmmmm.....lets look closer...

1620692895760.png

The most barren spot is once again a place where pedestrians cross................

But .....wait....what's this.......that's landscape fabric everywhere......

Designed to supress weeds around what you plant, and make it look like you know how to garden...............Pfft.

It has a place......but here, its not biodegrading as it should, has no top coat of soil or mulch, and it looks to be choking the shrubs......

Lack of mulch can also increase susceptibility to drought, if the median isn't irrigated, which I suspect is the case.

Mulch can retain moisture from the wet season and release moisture as it degrades.

In my opinion............however humble (or not, LOL).....this is not how to do this properly.

Last edited:
The sports field at Canoe Landing Park has become a local gem. Rarely has a sports field brought so much life to a neighbourhood. It's the size of a Cityplace condo, but it brings a lot of energy and is always interesting to watch from the Gardiner.

There is a Starbucks now in that space just to the north of the LCBO on Bathurst which will further animate what was a very busy street yesterday! I remember when this was a no man’s land.
D5E9B345-D59F-4A50-9BFF-CF5BFF3B191A.jpeg
. Photo taken 6 May.

Back