News   Apr 24, 2024
 552     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 768     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 524     0 

CityPlace

Walking through Cityplace I noticed that the last chance for a decent retail strip, is coming to an end. The retail west of Dan Leckie Way is not going to create any synergy at all. In the condo beside the library we now have a small pharmacy, which is mostly for prescription drugs. Along with that we have a new dental clinic. Then on the south side of the street, I just saw a sign go up advertising another dental clinic taking up 2 retail spots. So we have 4 retail spaces that will be completely useless to 99% of the population who already have a regular pharmacist and dentist. These types of uses never bring any animation to a street. The only good news is the restaurant/bar Roses Of New York, opening in that same retail strip. At least that will come with a patio to liven up the strip.

Tim Horton's on that corner, does more to animate Cityplace than all those retail spaces probably will. (especially if they keep with this dental/medical direction) Why can't those types of spaces go on the second floor of offices/retail areas? Sidewalk retail is too valuable to be used as dental offices.

Because retailers are looking for high pedestrian numbers throughout the day, which CityPlace and the surrounding area simply do not have at the moment. That little pharmacy has actually been pretty neat. It's a small business run by a family in the neighbourhood. The owners have reached out to the community to find out which items they should regularly stock, and make changes to their inventory based on demand for items.

There's also a supplement/health store opening in the bottom of Spectra, along with the dentist and Rose's New York. For the first time ever, all retail units in CityPlace are now accounted for. There's been quite a bit of turnover just in the last 5 years, so just because there is a dentist office today doesn't mean there will be a dentist office tomorrow.

Also, Mr. Greek is opening up in the former Spot Coffee space.

I guess the Starbuck's killed Spot Coffee. That's too bad. It's harsh seeing the smaller players getting crushed.

The city is already on it. A traffic study was launched and should be done in a month or so. I'm predicting that a set of traffic lights will be put in.
It was brutal trying to leave the area after a Jays game got out. I wonder if they'll get rid of the median on Fort York and put in an extra lane in each direction. I like the way it looks, but I'm not sure if the traffic can handle one lane in each direction.

Also, Mr. Greek is opening up in the former Spot Coffee space.

Good to know.

I guess the Starbuck's killed Spot Coffee. That's too bad. It's harsh seeing the smaller players getting crushed.

Too bad that the Spot Coffee left, I occasionally went there for sandwiches too.

It was brutal trying to leave the area after a Jays game got out. I wonder if they'll get rid of the median on Fort York and put in an extra lane in each direction. I like the way it looks, but I'm not sure if the traffic can handle one lane in each direction.

Traffic is horrible whenever there's a Jay's game but it can be pretty bad during rush hour as well.

Are there any plans to install a traffic signal at the intersection of Fort York Blvd & Dan Leckie Way?

Did anybody go to Cityfest at CityPlace last weekend? I went for the first time and I think it kinda sucked.
Here is a video I filmed of the event.
There didn't seem to be much going on besides people promoting things and selling food.

There was a major power failure at City place on the weekend but Toronto Hydro said they could not say exactly how many people were affected because there is only one meter per building. (“We don’t have an accurate customer count because each building only has one meter and is considered one customer for Toronto Hydro,") http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/08/28/residents-without-power-in-cityplace.html

I assume each Unit has individual billing, if so who are they being billed by and is it (much) cheaper than Toronto Hydro??

Some of the CP buildings have hydro included in their maintenance fees so no, not all of them have individual billing.

The Star says Cityplace had its fourth multi-hour power failure in the past month last night.

When will they fix the blue light 'strip' on the bridge of the Parade Condos? The lights been damaged for over a month. It stands out like a sore thumb on the Gardiner.

Back