News   Jul 08, 2024
 361     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 610     0 

Toronto CityPlace: Montage + Neo (Concord Adex, 47 + 16s, KPMB)

These are the renderings of "downtown Markham" btw ... excluding the city place buildings that is.

if cityplace did in fact look like 3ddemetia render. people would have complained about that aswell. why should it be mixed with so many low rises? no one is complaining about the lack of low risers mix in the financial district.

I don't know whether even Toronto can support every street being a "destination" shopping street/district. The stores at CityPlace will serve the residents there - be patient - after the grocery store opens, the project will have hit critical mass and you'll be inundated with women walking their toy dogs.

Look at the condos on Bay Street - they're independently developed (not a master planned megaproject), have a much higher density, have retail and Bay Street hasn't turned into a destination retail strip.

Maple Leaf Square will be trying a destination shopping and entertainment project - so I suppose we'll see whether it can make a go of it - or go the way of the Skywalk.

Look at the condos on Bay Street - they're independently developed (not a master planned megaproject), have a much higher density, have retail and Bay Street hasn't turned into a destination retail strip.

Good points. I live on Bay in these canyon of condos solely for their accessibility to other areas and not their street life. It doesn't matter because I'm so close to Yorkville, the village, Yonge/Dundas and little Italy/Annex. There is no need for Bay to be a destination.

City Place lacks this accessibility to other destinations except China Town, the waterfront (is this really a destination?) and the sports complexes (Rogers, ACC and the Ex). Once the streetcar comes in along Fort York and the surrounding area is built a sence or belonging and completion should take hold around City Place. As an island on its own, it comes up short. The lack of transit connectivity and proximity to other established "lived-in" areas adds to City Place's failure.

Good points. I live on Bay in these canyon of condos solely for their accessibility to other areas and not their street life. It doesn't matter because I'm so close to Yorkville, the village, Yonge/Dundas and little Italy/Annex. There is no need for Bay to be a destination.

City Place lacks this accessibility to other destinations except China Town, the waterfront (is this really a destination?) and the sports complexes (Rogers, ACC and the Ex). Once the streetcar comes in along Fort York and the surrounding area is built a sence or belonging and completion should take hold around City Place. As an island on its own, it comes up short. The lack of transit connectivity and proximity to other established "lived-in" areas adds to City Place's failure.

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure if I can agree on the lack of accessibility to other destinations from Cityplace. Maybe it’s a matter of what people's interests are that defines a "destination"?

Using your example of the distance spanning from the Annex to Yorkville, Cityplace will get you quickly to a lot of interesting areas. What you listed plus what I can think of off the top of my head: Queen West, West Queen West, Clubland, King St. Theatres, AGO, Fort York

I live on Bay in these canyon of condos solely for their accessibility to other areas and not their street life... There is no need for Bay to be a destination.

But Bay Street is ALREADY in the middle of a destination.

CityPlace is a HUGE swath of land (a one-time blank canvas, if you will) that could have been developed into a sort of second downtown. That's the argument.

Walking from Bay/College to whatever is really no big deal.

Walking from Spadina/Bathurst/Bremner/Front to whatever is a whole other thing. There is a psychological divide that I'm trying to point out.

i dunno. put on thine ipod. press play. within 3.5 minutes or one song thou shalt be in club district if thou hast left thine HVE building. each "block" (a block i define as a concession road--eg bathurst st to yonge st, queen to bloor st) takes me exactly 20 minutes to walk (i walk rather quickly:) So, Cityplace is less than 25 minutes by foot to the centre of civilization--ie the Bloor St W Annex strip; to Queen and Spadina--5 minutes max. Cityplace is not isolated at all; try living in Mississauga or K-W or Crosshill (a tiny hamlet about 10 miles west of Waterloo) to feel "isolated." Cityplace is exciting: it is the present. The future is in Regent Park and Donlands. Live in the future:)

I'm guessing you guys have never really been to the area. When you walk outside of HVE you feel like you're at the Rogers Centre. When you walk outside of Apex/Matrix you feel like you're in the middle of club land (in fact walk 10 seconds up blue jay way and you literally are). These areas, as some people have been saying, already were destinations.

West of Spadina on the other hand is more relevant to your complaints. However we don't know how anything there has turned out yet. Once the massive park is completed, along with all the retail/lcbo/grocery store/school/etc, it might (and probably will) also become a destination.

^^
The LCBO will definitely be a destination. They're a friggin' rarity. (internal mumbling: stupid nanny state.)

But Bay Street is ALREADY in the middle of a destination.

CityPlace is a HUGE swath of land (a one-time blank canvas, if you will) that could have been developed into a sort of second downtown. That's the argument.

Walking from Bay/College to whatever is really no big deal.

Walking from Spadina/Bathurst/Bremner/Front to whatever is a whole other thing. There is a psychological divide that I'm trying to point out.

There will be shops, restaurants and services including a grocery store to service the residents within CityPlace.
The question seems to be whether CityPlace should be a destination to attract outsiders to the area.
Something that the Bay Street condo strip doesn't do - due to proximity to other shopping destinations.

Back