News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 712     0 

Toronto CityPlace: Montage + Neo (Concord Adex, 47 + 16s, KPMB)

I think Panorama's going to be squeezed in between the Gardiner and Lakeshore, just to the east of this:

DSCN0626.jpg

I have a picture I took two weeks ago, they also had some shoring equipment on site, and from the vantage point you can see the new street layout of Cityplaces western half.

Casaguy and Caltrane:

Hydrogen already answered the Parade question regarding the render. To add further detail, Parade is only going about 2/3 of the way over to Bathurst from Spadina. Two TCHC housing projects will be going up between it and Bathurst.

Panorama is immediately east of the Loblaws warehouse on the south side of the Gardiner.

I'm guessing you guys have never really been to the area. When you walk outside of HVE you feel like you're at the Rogers Centre. When you walk outside of Apex/Matrix you feel like you're in the middle of club land (in fact walk 10 seconds up blue jay way and you literally are). These areas, as some people have been saying, already were destinations.

West of Spadina on the other hand is more relevant to your complaints. However we don't know how anything there has turned out yet. Once the massive park is completed, along with all the retail/lcbo/grocery store/school/etc, it might (and probably will) also become a destination.

The Matrix buildings on Front Street are already starting to look tired after less than 5 years of building life. The rest of the buildings in the project are completely isolated from the outside world. This complex is in fact, a modern ghetto dislocated from the rest of the city. The closest development that I can compare it to would be Battery Park City in Manhattan, but there at least you are on the water and in Manhattan!

Values in this complex will not keep pace with inflation in my opinion. The foreign developer has left an ugly scar on the urban landscape of this city. The boundaries doomed the project from the get go.

When I say CityPlace you say CRAP!

Me: CityPlace!

You: CRAP!

You: CRAP!

When I say CityPlace you say JAIL!

You: JAIL!

Me: Cityplace!

You: JAIL!

When I say CityPlace you say...

Sorry guys, feeling very immature today...

The Matrix buildings on Front Street are already starting to look tired after less than 5 years of building life. The rest of the buildings in the project are completely isolated from the outside world. This complex is in fact, a modern ghetto dislocated from the rest of the city. The closest development that I can compare it to would be Battery Park City in Manhattan, but there at least you are on the water and in Manhattan!

Values in this complex will not keep pace with inflation in my opinion. The foreign developer has left an ugly scar on the urban landscape of this city. The boundaries doomed the project from the get go.

Weren't you the same person who thought Trump would never get built? I'll take your predictions with a grain of salt I guess.

Anyway I've yet to encounter anyone actually living in those 4 buildings on Front who don't love the place...

Also cutting into the east side of the huge park in the fantasy rendering, as Alvin has pointed out, is aA's development of Block 31 - which will contain approximately 200 units of affordable housing and, according to aA's website, two elementary schools, a community centre and City daycare.

Weren't you the same person who thought Trump would never get built? I'll take your predictions with a grain of salt I guess.

Anyway I've yet to encounter anyone actually living in those 4 buildings on Front who don't love the place...

Never said it wouldn't get built. Did state that the project is far from profitable given that many of the purchasers are under contract at rates below the cost to construct.

Also cutting into the east side of the huge park in the fantasy rendering, as Alvin has pointed out, is aA's development of Block 31 - which will contain approximately 200 units of affordable housing and, according to aA's website, two elementary schools, a community centre and City daycare.

From what Adam Vaughan told me, Ward 20 is currently facing the possibility of 3 or 4 elementary school closures because there are not enough children to meet the provincial requirements for minimum # of students, and there are currently 3 brand new day cares that are not being used because of lack of funding and/or need. I know this is not a new or unique phenomenon because we've seen lots of schools from the 50's and 60's suburbs close, but it still is a big issue.

Building schools and day cares is a great idea, but sometimes I wonder if there is a need for them. Maybe cash-in-lieu would be better with the monies going towards other facilities currently built in the vicinity. If you look at the demographics of who lives in Cityplace, and other condos in the area for that matter, they are mainly young professionals without children. How many families do you see living in Cityplace now? And how many will there be in the future? Most units are 1 bdrm and 1 bdrm+ den. There are some 2 bdrms, but no 3 bdrms as far as I know. There will be a greater proportion of families living in the TCHC building(s) than the Cityplace condos (per building basis), but overall very few children will be living in the vicinity.

Maybe the city's best doggy daycare would make more sense. (Here's a business idea for someone).

I often work close to the CityPlace buildings on Front and have NEVER seen any children go in or out of those buildings or the ones behind it or the ones on Bremner. Many dogs, yes. Children, no.

...The rest of the buildings in the project are completely isolated from the outside world. This complex is in fact, a modern ghetto dislocated from the rest of the city.

I share your concerns, but the park looks like it has potential to be a nice addition to the city and an asset for those living around it. I think a big part of the success of CityPlace will be what develops around it, including public transport infrastructure.

I think a big part of the success of CityPlace will be what develops around it, including public transport infrastructure.

You just hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. I to think the area West of Spadina (and to a lesser extent the eastern portion) are physically and socially isolated from the rest of the city. And instead of waiting to build an east-west light rail line through Bremner and Fort York they should have built it in conjunction with- or ahead of- the City Place development. So that when people move in they are socially and physically connected to the city beyond just being a new subdivision of glass towers. (this goes for all the new towers south of the rail tracks, not just City Place - including infinity, neptune, malibu, etc).

Back