News   Jul 17, 2024
 348     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 843     1 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 646     0 

City Workers Strike 2009

The original offer was less (0% to start in the first year for example). The offer has been sweetened, but I suspect that the union (and Miller) is holding out for an arbitrator, because the arbitrator would most likely give an even better deal than what the city is offering now.

The original offer was less (0% to start in the first year for example). The offer has been sweetened, but I suspect that the union (and Miller) is holding out for an arbitrator, because the arbitrator would most likely give an even better deal than what the city is offering now.

I suspect the same. I think it's time for Miller to at least threaten privatization. I don't like playing dirty but when the unions balk at an offer like that, what else can be done?

I suspect the same. I think it's time for Miller to at least threaten privatization. I don't like playing dirty but when the unions balk at an offer like that, what else can be done?
I'd be truly shocked if Miller threatened privatization.

P.S. I don't think that's playing dirty. I think that's looking at the situation realistically.

Yeah, a left wing idiot like Miller will privatize garbage collection to prevent further strikes and to lower costs and get a better job then.

People of the extreme left (and right) cannot think like that because they lack logic and common sense. ;)

I think it's time for Miller to at least threaten privatization. I don't like playing dirty but when the unions balk at an offer like that, what else can be done?

Wouldn't happen b/c Miller is left leaning ... and if he did, no one would take him seriously for the same reasons.

He needs to grow some balls and do what Rae did ... it may not have been popular with the unions and civil service, but it was completely necessary.

Too bad the unions had their heads up their asses and decided not to support Rae and the NDPs ... the result, far-right Harris Conservatives which totally decimated the rank and files by privatizing alot of services.

I now think this strike will be over sooner rather than later. This is a generous offer after only 18 days -- so generous that a consensus is developing even among those not suffering from Miller Derangement Syndrome that Miller has already caved in. As he has not ruled out sweetening the offer, you can expect that he will, indeed, sweeten the offer before long.

Saner heads among the union brass will conclude that they are on the brink of winning and hasten a settlement.

I walked up the steps and into All Saints, at Dundas and Sherbourne, which has some lovely stained glass windows as noted on my previous visit. They appear to date from the 1880s, some are quite stunning - a couple of small ones at the south east corner where the computers are set up form their own Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood - and I'm so glad I went. And I shall return.

Half a dozen dishevelled, feral, odoriferous men slept on the bare floors. Another played the piano and sung beautifully. There was coffee to be had for a small fee. But I had to haste away.

I've got an idea. Instead of a park, use All Saints as a dump. Hey, they're nothing but bums and hobos, anyway, so what's it matter if they eat and sleep in a church full o' garbage

good move by Miler to put the latest offer out in public. I heard quite a few interviews on the radio with union members who were frustrated by the fact that they were not being kept informed by their leaders as to what was on the table. Clearly Miller wants to turn up the pressure on the union from the public as well as discontent members from within the union ranks.

In any case we are awaiting a counter offer and hopefully this will all be over (I know its just a short term solution... but thats what us humans do best)

^ Miller did it to show that he's not apparently caving to the unions. Yet, notice that though the strike hasn't been settled the cost has already gone up quite a bit.

When it comes to public support the unions don't have any and they don't care. So public pressure on them really does not matter. They don't give a damn.

Make no mistake about it. Releasing the offer was a way to make the unions look bad and to save Miller's bacon. And I dare say it could make negotiation more difficult if the unions think Miller is negotiating through the media.

I now think this strike will be over sooner rather than later. This is a generous offer after only 18 days -- so generous that a consensus is developing even among those not suffering from Miller Derangement Syndrome that Miller has already caved in. As he has not ruled out sweetening the offer, you can expect that he will, indeed, sweeten the offer before long.

I agree, Miller will cave. To not cave would mean losing the left in the next election.

Garbage collection should be contracted out, but it won't happen.

If he does cave I hope McGuinty gives him exactly what we deserves: nothing. It is ridiculous that the province keeps bailing out our civic politicians who seem to have no inclination to keep costs contained. And its ridiculous that residents keep voting them back in. If McGuinty forced the 416 to make the same fiscal choices as the 905 the political preferences in this city would change rather quickly. I wonder how popular Miller would be if had to raise taxes as much as Mississauga.

Toronto isn't quite the Naples of the north — yet
Sondra Gotlieb, Weekend Post
Published: Friday, July 10, 2009

Garbage.jpg

Things in Toronto aren’t anywhere near this bad — yet. Plus, in Canada’s largest city scholars will cart away your trash.

Toronto is afflicted with a garbage strike, as Naples famously was. The Omertà, the Mafia or whatever the name is for those who run the Ministry of Criminal Affairs in Sicily these days, controlled the strike in Naples. The garbage was left piled high and stinking for months - designated parks were not an option. The Neapolitans tossed their garbage in whatever empty space they could find in the city. Tourists were advised to stay away. They used to say, "See Naples and die." I was in Naples 53 years ago and even then, I knew what 19th-century Victorians were talking about. Now the phrase has new meaning. Even though the garbage strike in Naples is supposed to be over, I hesitate to visit.

Nobody has ever said, "See Toronto and die." Actually, I believe it was the Bay of Naples, not Naples itself, that people were talking about. "See Lake Ontario near the Gardiner Expressway and die?" No, I don't think so.

The garbage strike in Toronto really doesn't surprise me. There has

always been a problem with garbage in Toronto, except for those people who live in a condo and just throw a bag down the chute. Are condo-dwellers still untroubled by garbage during the strike? I used to envy those with chutes. It's heaven not to worry about garbage after a successful throw.

The moment our strike was announced I received paper slips in the letter box, one announcing a "students garbage pick-up" and another a "scholar garbage pick-up." Naturally, we pay for this. Depending where one lives, these scholars and students charge from $3 to $7 per bag. But I don't even need to double bag it, nor do I have to drag out the upright coffin the city has forced upon us. If I ever want to murder someone, advisedly no bigger than 5-foot-5, I'd stick the body in the latest and strangest container supplied by the city, and just before a July dawn, push it in front of the house of a neighbour who really gets on my nerves. These containers are so big that people who live in small, garage-less houses use them as garden statuary. That's what they do in the Annex.

It's interesting how the spirit of capitalism blossomed during our strike. It didn't happen in Naples. I suppose if a Neapolitan scholar who wanted to be a temporary garbage-man went around ringing doorbells and asking to remove one's garbage for a price, that enterprising Neapolitan scholar would end up sleeping with the fishes. Instead of a state monopoly, Naples has a Mafia monopoly, which may be the same thing.

I have had a problem with garbage in Toronto for many years. My garage is filled with square containers and upright containers, which look like fire hydrants - all no longer of use to our Waste Management department. I remember buying one of those square containers in grey at Canadian Tire. I called up the man who knows the latest gossip about garbage and he told me that they only picked up that size container in green. Both containers were identical except for the colour. I argued colour discrimination, but you know, it's never a good idea to duke it out with garbage people. The truck left the grey container filled with newspapers and picked up my green one. Furious at such a blockhead ruling, I backed down and went out and got a green one.

I have a lot of neighbours and friends who simply adore all this sorting and recycling of garbage. It gives them a sense of accomplishment. Personally, I would just like to throw everything in a big bag and give it over to a scholar garbage collector. Before the strike, if I dared tell people about my garbage ideal, they would accuse me of being anti-green.

A gardener pal said that we should even be grateful to the waste management people because we can get free compost from the city of Toronto. What I see is thousands of virtuous Torontonians feeling they're saving the world by sorting and recycling, yet not quite realizing what a mess it is at the other big end where all the garbage goes. If one really wants a good look at our recycling facilities, it still is "garbage in, garbage out." Recently, an accredited lab was hired to test the compost made by city-paid processors and found it of poor quality, too much salt. Composts from Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire were far better. The plastic and diaper technology used by the city is in doubt and a lot gets dumped in incinerators which is supposed to be bad. At least our mayor is a vocal opponent. But it's impossible to argue with City Hall. Those gnomes and gremlins that make policy have an answer to everything, except the question of when this strike will end.

Back