News   Jul 15, 2024
 181     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 402     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 541     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

It looks like they shut the ticker down again. Technical problems already, I wonder...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there today too. The ticker has enough resolution and colours to display full colour photos. Looks great in daylight which was kind of surprising.

Okay we just had a town hall meeting so this is the updates that they told us, how much is corporate BS is up to you.

In regards to the sign:

They said that during the installation of the ticker they found there to be some structural damage to some steel where the sign would be placed and it needed to be repaired. It's been repaired now so they hope to have the sign up soon.

All News Channel:

Won't be happening in the next 12 months

Access to the building:

Rogers has acknowledged that the building is a work in progress and it's not done. Their big thing is they know it's not a very inviting building. They will be a part of the next doors open though so people can see inside (might be limited just to the BT / CityLine set)

I should also note that I've noticed much more streetcars using the turnaround that runs under the building the last month.

Thanks for the updates. That clears up the mystery of the Citytv sign. Good to know that Rogers acknowledges that building is butt ugly :p

I should also note that I've noticed much more streetcars using the turnaround that runs under the building the last month.

I find this 'interesting' because the streetcar wires in the 'archway' were removed while construction (or actually reconstruction) was going on and as of yesterday they were still not reinstalled. Are streetcars being pushed through the archway or do you mean they are going up Victoria to Dundas and turning west?

I find this 'interesting' because the streetcar wires in the 'archway' were removed while construction (or actually reconstruction) was going on and as of yesterday they were still not reinstalled. Are streetcars being pushed through the archway or do you mean they are going up Victoria to Dundas and turning west?

I've never even looked up, to be honest every time I've seen the streetcars "using" the turnaround I just see them signaling. Just yesterday I saw a driver get out of his street car to ask a car to move out of the way.

That being said I've never actually stood there and watched it turn. I can check to see if they put the cables back up at 7.

EDIT

Just checked and the streetcar cables have not been reinstalled so I have no clue why the streetcars were signaling right and asking cars to move.

It's possible they just had their 4 ways on and asked cars to move that were parked so traffic could still get through.

Last edited:
In regards to the sign:

They said that during the installation of the ticker they found there to be some structural damage to some steel where the sign would be placed and it needed to be repaired. It's been repaired now so they hope to have the sign up soon.

Does solve that mystery

All News Channel:

Won't be happening in the next 12 months

Not surprised, by the time they finally get around to launching the channel they licence will be expired(December 10, 2011).

Access to the building:

Rogers has acknowledged that the building is a work in progress and it's not done. Their big thing is they know it's not a very inviting building. They will be a part of the next doors open though so people can see inside (might be limited just to the BT / CityLine set)

Was there any hints on how they would to "try" and improve the look of the building? And have they stated what their plans are for the podium?

Not surprised, by the time they finally get around to launching the channel they licence will be expired(December 10, 2011).

It should be noted that's it's not just the all news channel but also all other Rogers broadcast properties except OMNI. So G4, Bio, CITY TV are also up for renewal. At that time they are hoping to change the license of CITY TV so we are officially a local station. (In other words, so we're not forced to run stupid Can Con like Murdoch Mysteries)

Was there any hints on how they would to "try" and improve the look of the building? And have they stated what their plans are for the podium?

No specifics at all. The staff basically said straight out "no one knows city tv here, they see a big giant Rogers sign so they walk in thinking they can buy a cell phone". Mangement just noted that it wasn't that inviting, they are very proud of what's inside as it really is pretty impressive technology wise (when it works).

I did notice a new steel type structure that was on the patio today, it appears as it will be used to mount a sign and it's just sitting there until everything else is in place.

To be realistic though, if it hasn't been budgeted already, nothing new will happen. 50 people just got laid off a few months ago.

Last edited:
It should be noted that's it's not just the all news channel but also all other Rogers broadcast properties except OMNI. So G4, Bio, CITY TV are also up for renewal. At that time they are hoping to change the license of CITY TV so we are officially a local station. (In other words, so we're not forced to run stupid Can Con like Murdoch Mysteries)

Officially a local station? I know CHUM networked Citytv with the former A-Channels and a former Global station, but aren't they already a local station. Whats the difference?

No specifics at all. The staff basically said straight out "no one knows city tv here, they see a big giant Rogers sign so they walk in thinking they can buy a cell phone". Mangement just noted that it wasn't that inviting, they are very proud of what's inside as it really is pretty impressive technology wise (when it works).

LMAO, They should change that. Or thats their plan :rolleyes:

Officially a local station? I know CHUM networked Citytv with the former A-Channels and a former Global station, but aren't they already a local station. Whats the difference?

It has to do with how their license works. I don't really know the details but they basically want to change it/ be classified so they don't have to run major Canadian dramas and random other can con requirements.

On Breakfast Television this morning they said the City TV sign would be installed tomorrow.

Back