News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

It baffles me how construction personnel have no idea what the building will look like when completed and what the full construction plan includes.

How do you construct the building and not know this? Shocking and rather ignorant to be honest.

Different teams work on different stuff. I think there's about 7 construction teams in total that worked on the building.

I walked by City TV today and saw a lot of people milling around, including John Tory. After looking at the HVAC units for a while and feeling irritated, I decided to go in to ask about them.

I saw one construction-looking guy sitting down, so I asked him if the units would be covered. His response was "I don't know". So I asked another guy who said "I don't think so". Third guy I asked was very clear, "they will not be covered up. They will be left just the way they are". So I guess that's the end of that. I told them I though that was dreadful!

I wanted to scream, DAMN YOU CITY TV, while they were filming John Tory live, but I chickened out! I'm a wimp and not proud of it either. lol I wish I had the balls to jump in front of that camera and tell the world, CITY TV AND ROGERS SUCK!

Most of these guys are focused on a particular trade and may not know otherwise. Let's wait and see.

I walked by City TV today and saw a lot of people milling around, including John Tory. After looking at the HVAC units for a while and feeling irritated, I decided to go in to ask about them.

I saw one construction-looking guy sitting down, so I asked him if the units would be covered. His response was "I don't know". So I asked another guy who said "I don't think so". Third guy I asked was very clear, "they will not be covered up. They will be left just the way they are". So I guess that's the end of that. I told them I though that was dreadful!

I wanted to scream, DAMN YOU CITY TV, while they were filming John Tory live, but I chickened out! I'm a wimp and not proud of it either. lol I wish I had the balls to jump in front of that camera and tell the world, CITY TV AND ROGERS SUCK!

That's horsecrap. You think asking a construction worker is going to yield you any reliable information? Maybe if you saw an engineer with blueprints, but the construction workers are given a task to do, and they do it. They have no idea what the grand scheme is.

They will be covered. It's in the city signage permit. In the least, they'll be covered in a grey corrugated wall.

It baffles me how construction personnel have no idea what the building will look like when completed and what the full construction plan includes.

How do you construct the building and not know this? Shocking and rather ignorant to be honest.

You'd be amazed how many things have been built without final, approved drawings. A lot of times there's just a big revision bubble around a portion of the building that never actually gets addressed. I'd imagine on a rework project like this the revisions are coming out piecemeal and everything is subject to change.

There's supposed to be a Dundas Sq. event for the unveiling of the building but I think that'll only happen once the exterior is complete and the final polishes have been done. Rogers is supposed to launch the new news channel at that event.

That's horsecrap. You think asking a construction worker is going to yield you any reliable information? Maybe if you saw an engineer with blueprints, but the construction workers are given a task to do, and they do it. They have no idea what the grand scheme is.

It's not like engineers are gods that tell the peons to put a screw there, and there, and there. Those blueprints that the engineers have only result in a building when they're given to the trades. Granted, any particular tradesman may not have a full set of architecturals handy, but if he had asked someone involved in building envelope then sure, it's entirely likely (actually, it's a damned sure thing) that their prints would show elevations and give at least a rough picture of what was going on.

Mind you, as a construction worker I'm a little bit biased on the point.

^ I know what you're saying: engineers don't go around telling workers where to put a screw but they do delegate tasks and finishings like a corrugated wall at the top of the building might not be a crucial element to a particular worker's job.

Let's just put it this way: very few people at Citytv and Rogers know what the building is going to look like from the outside. Only the people that need to know, know.

If it were as easy as asking a construction worker, then curious staff would have known by now and I personally know staff high up in the food chain who don't have a clue. They know about what they're assigned to and unfortunately, I don't know anybody who's assigned to the exterior of the building -- probably because there isn't anybody at City who's assigned to that because it isn't an essential item for the functionality of the station.

Unless you have access to the execs at Rogers making the decisions, nobody's gonna know what the exterior will look like until it's finished.

Let's just put it this way: very few people at Citytv and Rogers know what the building is going to look like from the outside. Only the people that need to know, know.

The people that need to know don't know. Us. The public. The people who should count when it comes to building design.

Only us architecture enthusiasts care at this point. Regular citizens will only care once it's finished and will form their opinions then.

While I'd love to know what the final design looks like, Rogers clearly doesn't think it has to release any drawings... and it's their right.

We don't have much to wait anyway. Work continues and I'm sure that at the latest, NYE will be a good opportunity to showcase the building and Rogers will be ready to do so.

Only us architecture enthusiasts care at this point. Regular citizens will only care once it's finished and will form their opinions then.

While I'd love to know what the final design looks like, Rogers clearly doesn't think it has to release any drawings... and it's their right.

While I agree we're more enthusiastic about it, the general public does have an interest in aesthetics and design.
All one has to do is look at the design competition for the Absolute World towers, or the pride people have for some of their buildings in their cities.
I guarantee many people walk past this building every day, and wonder what is going on with it, and what it's going to look like when done.

They will be covered. It's in the city signage permit. In the least, they'll be covered in a grey corrugated wall.

These were not all construction guys working on the building. These were guys inside the cafe/torch part and only the first one looked like he was a construction worker. The other two looked like managers or something because they were better dressed and sitting at a desk. They just looked like they would know. Well, it's better then asking John Tory, which is what I was thinking of doing but then I wasn't sure if he has anything to do with Rogers now. Anyway, I hope I got the wrong information but I did the best I could.

Wednesday's 6pm news broadcast had Michael Kuss using a live remote HD camera from both Dundas Square along side the Hard Rock and in front of TLS on Dundas Street. The image was perfect vs. the camera used for Gord's remote opening from Dundas Square during Tuesday's 6pm broadcast. Kuss did however have a few audio drop outs on Dundas Street. The rest of the broadcast seemed flawless.

Sept. 10th update

From Victoria Street and Dundas Street E.

I love the entrance, I hope it is an indication of what is yet to come.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Back