1.4K     4 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 744     0 

City of Toronto - Affordable Housing Master Thread

This:

1726754988545.png

Is also heading to next week's Ctte, and can be found here:

The red items that just jump out are Targets 1, 4 and 5

i don't know if this is the right thread but i thought this is quite an interesting tool for temporary housing solutions.

I don't really support either of these ideas.

Don't get me wrong, as a last ditch, emergency move to get otherwise un-houseable folks off the street, fine, so be it.

But its not a sustainable solution.

As such, I feel about it much the way I feel about Toronto's Shelter System, that it soaks up tons of money that could actually provide people with proper housing instead. (at least full studio-size, as in 500ft2+) apartments.

Toronto Shelters, for instance come in at $250 per night. That's ~$7,500 per month.

For that sum, we could house 2 families in 3brm apartments, and have enough leftover for 1 studio unit; or alternatively, house about ~5 or 6 single people.

While the various tiny homes and trailers are better than a sleeping bag.......they are not only inadequate in their own right; but they really don't work unless you have a place to put them, and hook ups for power and water and sewage.

When you factor the full cost of those in, they aren't particularly cheap or practical. Keep in mind, if we want to address everyone in Toronto currently in the shelter system ~10,000 or roughing it outside on a typical night ~2,500......

We need 12,500 bedrooms and probably about 8,000 units of housing.

In that context, however well intended, I tend to view these schemes as a distraction from the real work.

Last edited:

Back