News   Jul 23, 2024
 520     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 597     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.8K     3 

City of Toronto - Affordable Housing Master Thread

"Parliament and Gerrard Development Corporation, a partnership of The Daniels Corporation (‘Daniels”) and Toronto Community Housing Corporation (‘TCHC’) (jointly the ‘Owner’) is seeking applications from qualified affordable housing providers to purchase at-cost, the affordable housing component within a proposed mixed-use building located at 500 Dundas Street East in the heart of Regent Park."

Anyone have any insight on this 500 DUNDAS STREET EAST site..?

I don't see any site-specific information on the UT Map..??

"Parliament and Gerrard Development Corporation, a partnership of The Daniels Corporation (‘Daniels”) and Toronto Community Housing Corporation (‘TCHC’) (jointly the ‘Owner’) is seeking applications from qualified affordable housing providers to purchase at-cost, the affordable housing component within a proposed mixed-use building located at 500 Dundas Street East in the heart of Regent Park."

I believe it's the Regent Park sales centre site

There is an existing thread for this address, but I believe @DavidCapizzano is correct in his assessment. Nonetheless, the existing thread first:

The presentation centre site:

1715702490978.png

N/E corner of Regent and Dundas.

Images from the Daniel's website -

1715702905192.png

1715702948192.png

Agree that it appears to be the SALES CENTRE lands, and the affordable housing will be podium-strata within a larger condo development.

So, I know that @HousingNowTO between his day job and his volunteering efforts and time as a parent............. has way too much free time on his hands and is perpetually looking for someway to break the boredom.........

Thus, being the helpful person I am.........

Some reading material for him.

A Report to the next meeting TCHC's BIFAC Ctte outlines some next steps on them getting back into the housing construction business.

From the above:

1716569011152.png

1716569030557.png

The above seeks to to fund further due diligence on which projects to push first.

The buildings are roughly grouped into two; the first is the Housing-ready group, which is public, and for which sites have some portion of the required approvals, subject to financing; the other is 'potential housing sites'. The former are listed immediately below. The latter are confidential, but not too hard to discern.

1716569184319.png

More detail on the above:

1716569232008.png

This next one requires @HousingNowTO 's oversight:

1716569276011.png

As does this one:

1716569322350.png

* On this one, I will remind UT'ers I did some modelling of what this site could look like, particularly with some adjacent land acquisition. Note that the first build does not require the rest of the land to be in place.

On the confidential sites, I can say that several come from the larger Community Revitalization list published some years ago.

There remains a priority to use land already under ownership; to try to renew existing housing stock when possible, and to leverage land value to get private partners to cover a significant portion of the building/rebuilding costs.

A further report to next week's Planning and Housing has a host of other changes in policy in it.

The report is titled as follows:

Community Housing Sector Modernization and Growth Strategy

Many of these govern leases of City land/property to non-profit providers, but there are other changes, including to MURA.

There are really way too many recommendations here for me to copy/paste them over..........so i encourage the interested to follow the link and have a look-see.

Some good stuff there.

More, the Feds out this morning with details on their 1.5B to support new coop construction.

From the above:

1717687142908.png

Of note, this program was first promised in the 2022 budget (looks at calendar)..... what crisis?

Last edited:
A story from CBC Toronto on renovations at a TCHC owned building on Asquith in the Yonge/Bloor area.

The building is in the process of being renovated to use heatpumps. This is a technology of which I am generally an advocate. For many older buildings its the closest one will likely get to seeing Central A/C, significantly increasing summer comfort levels, its also, broadly, quite efficient.

However, in this case there does seem to be a problem. In this particular building, the manner of installation, in light of pre-existing duct work has resulted in lower ceilings in tenant units. I don't mean a little lower either........ceilings have reduced from to less than 7ft. One tenant brought the matter to the media, and I confess, I'm sympathetic.

If we were talking a reduction to as low as 7'6 ({the minimum the OBC generally provides for), if one weren't an NBA player or such, I think the case could be made that's if its not optimal, its still a reasonable trade.

But sub 7-ft is very low!

On the Rental Housing Supply Program which I posted about above...........

Planning and Housing adopted this at this week's meeting.

Interestingly, the plan is not without some bits of controversy:

1718358107658.png

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/new-affordable-housing-plan-1.7234406

One amendment from Josh Matlow failed; while others by Ctte Chair Perks and Vice-Chair Bradford did pass:

1718358388268.png

Back