News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 575     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 877     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Today I saw workers clearing out drywall from the empty "Fire & Flower" cannabis store (the one between Craig's Cookies & the Garage). Sure hope it's not another pot shop going in.

Today I saw workers clearing out drywall from the empty "Fire & Flower" cannabis store (the one between Craig's Cookies & the Garage). Sure hope it's not another pot shop going in.
This won't be another pot shop. Fire & Flower wasn't allowed to open as the space is too close to the school.

Saw workers clearing out North of Brooklyn; wonder if it's closing or renovating.

Last edited:
From KWT's newsletter:

1631208316217.png

This just appeared on BlogTO. It’s about the proposed development at the northwest corner of Church/Wellesley.

It's fairly old news as far as UT is concerned - we have a thread about the project since 2016:

AoD

But this is a new design. I know there’s been a proposal here for years.

Yup, it was covered in that thread too - the new designs were expected and discussed about a week or two ago. Typically information in project threads are updated a lot more quickly than in neighbourhood ones since the latter tend to be cover a variety of neighbourhood changes (not just development projects).

33-37 Maitland Street are being listed for sale as a development site.

Mentioned on Bullpen Consulting's Twitter:

View attachment 376845

Interesting.

Many constraints there.

If it were feasible, I would suggest any buyer grab the condo at 25 Maitland net door; that would help w/the challenges on the site.

First, let's look at this on Streetview:

1643214705077.png

The house on the left is 'listed' but not designated in the Heritage Register, it dates from 1853.

No notation for the low-rise apartment to the right.

The City will want to extend/connect the Yonge Street Linear Park system here.

Ideally, for a number of reasons, that would sit more on the 25 Maitland site; however, if these two come up, and there is no imminent prospect of redevelopment at 25, I expect the City may ask for on-site park in the form of a narrow
strip down the west side.

The site is a decent size, before you factor in any preservation requirements or park dedication.

But there is a potential further constraint, the City's proposed parkland immediately to the north-east on the Green P lot.

We all know how the City feels about shadowing of parks, and this site is to the south of said parkland.

^^^ There's already is a narrow strip on the west side. I used to use it a lot. For the past few years though there's been a gate blocking access.

Not sure if this has been talked about before, but I recently noticed this change and thought it was interesting, the retaining wall for the school yard here got a fix up with concrete, and also a new fence with channeled glass.

I'm a sucker for channeled glass so this looks fantastic with the play between sandblasted and blurred, but I also wonder what justified the use here over a traditional fence other than privacy concerns (and why that is an issue anyways?), since it's somewhat rare for the city to spend the extra bucks on nice features in the public realm. My only minor concern might be that it could attract vandalism, and while streetart would be nice, materials like glass look much better on it's own.

Should note the rest of the property also got new fencing, but it's instead a taller black iron fencing which means this was done as a feature wall.

2019 (Google Streetview):
1647724813108.png

2021 (Google Streetview):
1647724835572.png

Also appears to have a lighting installation, which is nice to see. (Source)

Church-St-School-Fence-2-1024x360.jpg

(Source)
Fence_Design_Concept.jpg

Last edited:

Back