News   Jul 12, 2024
 792     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 715     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

There is a great independent cafe, barber shop, variety store, dollar store, sports clothing store, phone shop, middle eastern restaurant and pizza shop, no one can tell me we'd get that kind of variety of independent retailers (except Pizza Pizza) if a stupid condo went up here - and there's a bath house downstairs plus affordable apartments upstairs. If the building was restored this would be one of the great gems of Church Street. I'm no fan of Pizza Pizza, but the upside is it's open really late, does crazy business and is really bright keeping the intersection well lit and safe feeling.
Totally agree here. I'm a huge condo, height and density booster, but replacing this block for a mega condo would really not be a good day for The Village. Older buildings and newer buildings generally (although, admittedly not always) allow for different sorts of retail and commercial spaces. Having a mix of both is key, especially in what is still a 'destination neighbourhood' for many.

7 & 24 Video is moving to 584 Church Street (the first house north of where The Vic/Sugo were), I believe the C+W location closes tomorrow (the 18th). It's a little out of the way now but hopefully people are willing to wander into the woods north of Wellesley St. to get their fix.
The former frozen yogurt place between Hero Burger and 7&24 still sits empty, I thought I read that Hero was going to expand into there. That's remained empty for well over a year now.

Edit: Feb 1st is the correct moving day for 7 & 24 Video. I just rented a film on my way home and the fellow said they'll be taking over all three floors with new releases on the main floor, older releases on the lower floor and adult films on the top floor.

Last edited:
Heard from one of the workers at Starbucks that they aren't moving to 7-24, but they are just renovating their current store instead. Shame, missed opportunity.

Heard from one of the workers at Starbucks that they aren't moving to 7-24, but they are just renovating their current store instead. Shame, missed opportunity.

probably due to lack of patio ... is starbucks already renovating their store?
I heard garage is going to close ... maybe SBX can take it over as any restaurant that's been there seem doomed to fail.

I heard garage is going to close ... maybe SBX can take it over as any restaurant that's been there seem doomed to fail.

Already? It's been less than a year. That location must be jinxed.

probably due to lack of patio ... is starbucks already renovating their store?

There's plenty of room in front of the 7&24 space that could have be patio space without encroaching onto the sidewalk, like six times the space than they have now. Too bad.

Starbucks should look into taking over Garage. Smaller interior, yes, but they have a killer patio that would be awesome in the summer.

Starbucks should look into taking over Garage. Smaller interior, yes, but they have a killer patio that would be awesome in the summer.

I doubt they would be interested in that at all. Patio's aren't revenue generating space for Starbucks. (You buy your coffee, drink it and leave, as opposed to restaurants where drinks and food keep flowing, making patio's a good source of revenue) Interior space is much more important, especially in Canada where the patio would only be used 4 months a year.

People use patios more than 4 months of the year. Especially if they have heaters. Just because I've taken my drink out on the patio, does not mean I won't go back inside to get something else, either.

I doubt they would be interested in that at all. Patio's aren't revenue generating space for Starbucks. (You buy your coffee, drink it and leave, as opposed to restaurants where drinks and food keep flowing, making patio's a good source of revenue) Interior space is much more important, especially in Canada where the patio would only be used 4 months a year.

Take a look at Second Cup, the patio is half full in the winter during the day but you'd be absolutely correct that a patio doesn't generate income for a business like Starbucks. Moving lots of product in and out is key, the location in the Village could do better in a larger location with a bigger bar to serve more people quicker.

Is Garage the place across from Churchmouse?

Garage was the former Village Rainbow restaurant, forever, on the N/E corner of Maitland & Church.

I think that their basic business model (renting DVDs) is dying fast (if not really dead). Location is not their problem, technology is.

Considering the dying medium of movie rentals, they do have a very loyal following. I don't know how they do it.

Back