News   Aug 02, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.3K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.7K     4 

Church-Wellesley Village

Until about 10 years ago it used to go to go further down Yonge Street, to Dundas I think but that had to have played havoc on another streetcar route. There was talk of moving the parade to Jarvis Street which might have been OK had the Jarvis Street revitalization not been killed by Council, mainly over Ford's initiative to remove the bike lanes on Jarvis (Birchmount & Pharmacy too).

Last edited:
Pride parade route extended. Will go to Yonge-Dundas Square now, rather than turning at College. Didn't it go to Shuter or Queen (or at least Gerard?) back in the day, before they shortened it in some attempt to get parade-goers to hang out in the Church-Wellesley area pre/post-parade? The shorter route meant the crowds were more concentrated, and thus harder for people to see, and tourists in the Eaton Centre area would miss out because the parade didn't get down there. I'm glad they are extending the parade to Dundas, and hopefully they'll have some activities in YD Sqaure. Not everyone wants to hang out in the mosh pit on Church.
It went to Gerrard last year, not College.

It went to Gerrard last year, not College.

Good catch Khristopher, the parade route on Sunday has gone to Gerrard St. since they shortened the route and Church St. has been closed off on the weekend further and further north over the last several years, up to Bloor St. the last few years.

I'm pretty sure it only went as far south as Dundas one or two years around the opening of Yonge-Dundas Square. I think it's good for it to once again go that far south. More presence in the "mainstream" is good and it will make "religious corner" go ballistic.

As has been said, I don't believe its ever ended at Carlton otherwise, always Gerrard.

I've seen that too, especially on Wellesley St. between Yonge & Jarvis. Tagging on Wellesley Street between those areas is absolutely out of control too - almost everything is tagged. I've written Rob Ford (ya, right, I'm a downtown pinko so he doesn't care) and called 311 twice about it since March/April and nothing.

I mentioned this in the Retail section as well, but the Mac's at 471 Jarvis has closed permanently. No idea what will replace it, but the heritage home would make for a great restaurant or pub.

Really now? Damn, that 7/11 has to open at Yonge/College as soon as possible! I need my slushie fix!

The ESL school there was already using the top floors, it wouldn't surprise me if they expanded to take over the main floor. I'd rather a pub, but I just think the school is more likely

Boring news but Platis cleaners is going in the old Stag Shop space =p

Former CBC radio host, City Hall staffer and founding executive director of Jane’s Walk (janeswalk.net), Farrow is leading this urban tour-cum-focus group as part of The 519 Village Study. Funded by the city and TD Bank, the study aims to take the pulse of the Church/Wellesley neighbourhood—roughly Bloor to Carlton, Yonge to Jarvis—and determine where its future might lie. Relying on input from 49 stakeholders, a survey of 1,500 people and public brainstorming sessions, the enterprise has a soul-searching long-term outlook: What can be done to ensure the LGBT hub has a major role in the life of the city?

http://www.intorontomag.com/index.php/news-insight/201-ready-for-a-renaissance

The pub where Barn used to be is opened. To say it is a dump would be an understatement. It's basically The Barn with tables and bad lighting. It's going to make it's money during Pride though only because of its location. I was expecting more. Churchmouse and O'Grady's are 5-star compared to this.

Back