News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 609     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 917     0 

Church Street Bars/Clubs/Restos

yes, that is a part of it, and i'm not saying it's a bad thing. but would all these events have moved into College West and Queen West in the first place if there wasn't a moratorium on clubs in the village and there were sufficient venues?

It's hard to say. The growth outside of the village may have been driven by lack of dance venues within the village, but at the same time I think it's also a reflection of the overall diversity of Toronto and that gay events don't need to be confined to one area only. In an ideal situation, we would have the best of both worlds; a thriving village, and a variety of gay bars or gay-friendly nights at straight bars scattered throughout the city.

I'm showing my age here, but what ever happened to Boots, in the old Selby Hotel? That was a pretty important historic site too, I think. Associations with Hemingway or something? And in the gay village "hay days" of the 80s and 90s Boots was a pretty popular place for dancing too.

Part of the reason why the village is not as popular as it once was is because there are many gay and gay-friendly nights spread out across the city now, particularly in the west end (ex. Big Primpin', Ciao Edie, etc.). People no longer need to exclusively head out to Church St if they want to be around gay people, so the scene is not as concentrated in one area any longer. This is a very good thing, but we definitely still need a critical mass in the village as well to keep it alive.

I suppose that's one reason.

But perhaps it could also be because Church/Wellesley has turned into a rundown, sleazy, unimaginitive hangout for street trash and their followers. The street is filthy and needs a good hose-down. Years ago I would have gladly brought out of towners to check it out... now, it's just painfully embarrassing.

I don't go out there as much as I used to, but I don't remember it being THAT bad. I know that some of the street kids have moved over from Yonge to Church which quite a few locals complained about, but it still seemed pretty busy to me when I was there two weeks ago.

I don't spend much time there any more, but it never seems that bad when I am there, day or night.

Ah, Boots. Lots of good times had in that place. I think they are building a condo there now, connected to the old house.

I miss Boots, and Colby's, and even Chaps, (not that it was bad - it just dates me too much.) It' will be interesting to see what the Barn is like once it's back - can they recapture its comfy seediness if they de-fire-trap it?

I used to love going to Buddies for their alternative nights. It was such a nice change of music from the usual Euro-cheese that was played in so many clubs.

I suspect that the question will be met with a deafening silence, since it dates me to a Jurassic epoch even earlier than Tewder's, but does anyone remember the first Buddy's bar, downstairs at 64 Gerrard East? It was open from the early to late 1980's. The entrance was from a laneway off Church. 'Twas my favourite bar of all time. And the Manatee was my favourite dance club ... a decade earlier. Elton John used to go there when he was in town, though I never rubbed up against her.

Rick Bebout's website Promiscuous Affections: A Life in the Bar 1969-2000 is worth checking out for anyone interested in the early days of the out-and-politically-active gay community in Toronto.

Babylon's space would still have an outstanding licnese as well (I'd assume).

The former Babylon space is currently undergoing renovations. It appears the success of Voglie and Fuzion are helping to bring the north end of the Village back to life.

is this a temple to agriculture or fagriculture ;)

P.S, fagriculture© 2007 prometheus the supremo. <colbertism>

I suspect that the question will be met with a deafening silence, since it dates me to a Jurassic epoch even earlier than Tewder's, but does anyone remember the first Buddy's bar, downstairs at 64 Gerrard East? It was open from the early to late 1980's. The entrance was from a laneway off Church. 'Twas my favourite bar of all time. And the Manatee was my favourite dance club ... a decade earlier. Elton John used to go there when he was in town, though I never rubbed up against her.

Rick Bebout's website Promiscuous Affections: A Life in the Bar 1969-2000 is worth checking out for anyone interested in the early days of the out-and-politically-active gay community in Toronto.

Arrgh! I LOVED Buddy's....and Crispin's Restaurant...remember that? How about "The Wonderbar" on Yonge and Studio 2 on Church...now THAT was a place you never had to leave. Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

Back