News   May 03, 2024
 570     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 364     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 204     0 

Chrétien Liberals had plan for fast rail: report

I'm resurrecting this thread because I was just perusing the leaked VIAfast report and I thought it was better to post this here than in the CN Turbo thread. The report is hosted on highspeedrail.ca and it's a big 66 MB file. Some highlights:
-eliminating grade crossings as much as possible, fencing key sections
-consolidating CN and CP freight onto one corridor where possible, which would actually increase freight capacity. Building new track where rights of way are shared
-new corridor from Gananoque to Smiths Falls. Double track the existing VIA corridor from there through Ottawa to Moose Creek, then using the CP mainline to Montreal.
-Local trains would still serve Cornwall and Brockville but at freight speeds.
-"close to hourly" departures
-2h15 to Ottawa, 3h30 to Montreal
-Revenues projected to triple, significant profits in the Toronto-Montreal portion

The biggest problem that I can see is that the line would still go through dozens if not hundreds of communities, which I'm sure would limit speeds. But it's still a bargain compared to something like the TGV. The report presents VIAFast as an opportunity to make our transport system rail-centred, increase efficiency, and save costs on road maintenance. There must be some very connected anti-passenger rail interests in Ottawa.

Last edited:
It is a shame that ViaFAST died. As much as I would love to see TGV in Canada, it's a big mental leap for most people to go from what we have now to TGV. "Rail doesn't work here - we aren't Europe," I often hear people say. I think that if the frequency and reliability of existing trains was improved, it would become an attractive option for many travellers. The frequency and departures proposed with ViaFAST would have been able to capture a decent share of the market. That would prove if trains could work (I'm sure the answer is yes), and once it's proven to the wider public, people would start asking their politicians about improvements to the system, providing politicians with an incentive to back improvements and eventually a TGV plan.

Indeed. One of these interests went all the way up to the top of the Finance Ministry and later, the government itself.
On the other hand, if Chretien hadn't have known that Martin was replacing him, would he have funded VIA Fast otherwise? Given it was one of the very last things Chretien did before leaving office - after 10 years of opportunity - one must assume that he did it only to piss Martin off - knowing full well that Martin owned Voyageur bus lines, and would cancel VIA Fast.

Back