News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Chinatown

Oh and this is news to me @AlbertC:

Rather sad, end of an era.

AoD

Yeah, I remember seeing the son (??) of the proprietors behind the counter years ago - I think he was a U of T student at the time. Guess they unsurprisingly couldn't find anyone in the family to adopt the business.

AoD

My aunt in uncle in Ottawa used to own a restaurant in Hull (Gatineau, Quebec) up until the early 2010's. Their son (my cousin) never have intentions are taking over after their parents retired. And likewise, the parents probably didn't want him to have to go through the same type of work they had to through all those years. They did hold onto the property for a while, leasing out the restaurant space, until they finally sold the entire building a few years ago. My uncle's brothers and a few other siblings also ran their own restaurants throughout the Ottawa Valley area. Pretty much all of them have retired and likely sold their businesses.

A common situation with the second or third generation of such families. Especially as the children and grandchildren often go into high education, and ultimately lose interest in continuing the family business. A fair bit of coverage online of similar examples across North America. Although, occasionally there's some niche cases that do get passed along. But they end up being a rarity.

My aunt in uncle in Ottawa used to own a restaurant in Hull (Gatineau, Quebec) up until the early 2010's. Their son (my cousin) never have intentions are taking over after their parents retired. And likewise, the parents probably didn't want him to have to go through the same type of work they had to through all those years. They did hold onto the property for a while, leasing out the restaurant space, until they finally sold the entire building a few years ago. My uncle's brothers and a few other siblings also ran their own restaurants throughout the Ottawa Valley area. Pretty much all of them have retired and likely sold their businesses.

A common situation with the second or third generation of such families. Especially as the children and grandchildren often go into high education, and ultimately lose interest in continuing the family business. A fair bit of coverage online of similar examples across North America. Although, occasionally there's some niche cases that do get passed along. But they end up being a rarity.

Yep, understandably - running a restaurant nowadays is a high-risk, low reward endeavour; it's also pretty demanding and not exactly what most 2nd and 3rd gen would want to do.

AoD

I know lots of Indian, Italian, Greek families that did the same as your aunt and uncle. My boyfriends parents immigrated to Canada from India some 40 years ago, and were able to buy a house and restaurant on a modest salary in Toronto. They sold the restaurants, as their kids didn't want them or had the finances to run them.

Now a days the new generation of immigrants couldn't afford to open a restaurant, unless they have deep pockets or know some investor with deep pockets.

According to a message on their website, the Kensington Market location of Daango Cake Lab, will be relocating to 241 Spadina Ave (a bit north of Sullivan St, towards the south end of Chinatown) on October 1, 2021. Appears that they will share the same space as the R&D restaurant.

A Vietnamese eatery, Banh Haus has recently opened along Huron Street just north of Dundas W by the family of a former high school classmate of mine:

Hmmm, they serve bò lá lốt.

Could make for an interesting snack some day soon.

If I drop your name, do I get a discount or a dirty look? #promocodeAlbertC

LOL

Looks like finally some movement at the old Yung Sing Pastry Shop along Baldwin Village. There's a dumpster outside as work appears to be ongoing on clearing things out.

20220108_144527.jpg

A Vietnamese eatery, Banh Haus has recently opened along Huron Street just north of Dundas W by the family of a former high school classmate of mine:

Some publicity for this establishment:

Passed by the other day on the streetcar and saw signage saying work to be underway soon to renovate and restore this fenced off fire damaged property just north of King's Noodle Restaurant along Spadina. It claimed that the retail spaces will be available by this summer:

spad.JPG

Should've gone for more than just one dwelling unit for those garage spaces on Huron Street, just south of Sullivan Street (east of Spadina). Like they could've easily fit in a new triplex or fourplex if the initiative was there. But oh well....

20 HURON ST
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York

To alter the existing three-car garage by converting two parking spaces into a one-storey dwelling unit and maintaining a single-car garage.

huron.JPG

Passed by the other day on the streetcar and saw signage saying work to be underway soon to renovate and restore this fenced off fire damaged property just north of King's Noodle Restaurant along Spadina. It claimed that the retail spaces will be available by this summer:

View attachment 385253

Up close, it doesn't seem like any substantial action has actually begun yet.

I'm curious if they'll be able to get these back in shape by summer, or if movement will only happen if they get retail tenants signed.

20220408_170107.jpg

Article on the historical community activist, Jean Lumb, and the homes that she's lived in the city during her times. Which apart from Chinatown, also includes ones on Davenport Road and in the Junction.

Back