News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 453     0 

China bans black/mongolian people...er, what?

theowne

Member Bio
Reaction score
This story has been circulating, I'm not sure what to say here...

http://www.theage.com.au/world/fears-of-a-nofun-olympics-in-beijing-20080718-3hkb.html

FEARS of a "no fun Olympics" are growing as security restrictions increase and become more bizarre with less than 20 days to go until the opening ceremony.

Beijing police have been visiting bar owners in the popular Sanlitun area and asking them to sign pledges agreeing to not serve black people or Mongolians and ban activities including dancing.

Bar owners said that police have been clamping down on black people and Mongolians, who are sometimes implicated in drug dealing and prostitution, as part of an Olympic clean-up campaign that they and locals fear will make for a secure but sterile Games.

Maggies, Beijing's most notorious expatriate bar, referred to as the "Mongolian embassy" because of its popularity with Mongolian prostitutes and Western men, was shut suddenly about two months ago after a reported murder.

The gay bar Destination has also been ordered to shut down its dance bar until further notice.

And in a separate move, the Ministry of Public Security announced at the start of the month that from October 1, discos, karaoke bars and other entertainment venues must install transparent partitions in previously private rooms, and ensure staff dress more modestly as part of an effort to crack down on prostitution and drugs.

The Minister of Culture announced on Thursday that all overseas entertainers who have ever attended activities that "threaten national sovereignty" will be banned. This follows an outburst by Icelandic singer Bjork at a Shanghai concert on March 2, which sparked an official investigation.

Bjork shouted out, "Tibet, Tibet," after performing her song Declare Independence.

A notice on the Ministry's website on Thursday said that entertainers who "threaten national unity", "whip up ethnic hatred", "violate religious policy or cultural norms" or "advocate obscenity or feudalism and superstition" will be banned. "Feudalism and superstition" are often code words used by the Chinese Government to refer to Tibetans loyal to the Dalai Lama. The move follows the detention of several prominent Tibetan singers.

Beijing CBD businesses are reporting increasingly bizarre restrictions on couriers. This includes a ban on transporting CD-ROMs through the city, and mobile phones or GPS devices can only be sent if their batteries are delivered separately. This is on top of postal restrictions on sending liquids and powders.

At least six big bars and restaurants inside the Beijing Workers' Stadium compound - where Olympic soccer matches will be held - have been ordered to shut ahead of the Olympics and during Games time.

Hundreds of armed checkpoints on the main roads coming into Beijing were introduced two weeks ago, and non-Beijing-registered vehicles have been banned until after the Olympics, a move that is causing massive delays and extra costs for businesses.

god damn mongorians! you break my shitty warr for the rast time!!!

602_image_24.jpg

Who ever said racism is a one-sided affair?

I had to laugh every time China claims that Olympics is apolitical - when the history of Modern Olympics has been tainted by politics from day 1.

AoD

LOL!

May 27, 2008
Disabled groups outraged by Beijing snub
Ashling O’Connor, Olympics Correspondent

Disabled groups reacted with outrage yesterday to an official guide for assistants at the Beijing Olympic Games that describes them as unsocial, stubborn and defensive.

The guide for Chinese volunteers at the Games this summer explains that disabled people are a “special group†with “unique personalities and ways of thinkingâ€.

The section of the manual entitled “Skills for helping the disabled†goes on to say: “Some physically disabled are isolated, unsocial, and introspective. They can be stubborn and controlling . . . defensive and have a strong sense of inferiority.

“Sometimes they are overly protective of themselves, especially when they are called crippled or paralysed. Do not use ‘cripple’ or ‘lame’ even if you are just joking.â€

The guide, distributed to 100,000 volunteers before the Olympics in August and the Paralympics in September, sparked outrage in among disabled groups.

“I’m stunned,†said Simone Aspis, a parliamentary campaigner at the UK Disabled People’s Council. “It’s not just the language but the perception that in 2008 we are considered a race apart. Disabled people are introverted and stubborn the same way anyone else is.†The handbook notes that “often optically disabled people are introverted†and that physically disabled people can be mentally healthy.

“They show no differences in sensation, reaction, memorisation and thinking mechanism from other people, but they might have unusual personalities because of disfigurement and disability,†it said.

“Never stare at their disfigurement. A patronising or condescending attitude will be easily sensed by them, even for a brain-damaged patient.â€

The advice reflects decades of discrimination in China against mentally and physically disabled people, who total 83 million – equivalent to the population of Germany.

The Communist Party’s desire for a healthy nation, characterised by the one-child policy, fostered deep prejudices that extended to forced sterilisations, bans on marriages between disabled people and abortions of abnormal foetuses.

Most disabled people are from poor, rural areas. Those in affluent society were hidden away until public attitudes softened in the 1990s after Deng Pufang, the eldest son of the former leader Deng Xiaoping, campaigned for reform.

He was forced to use a wheelchair in 1968 after Red Guards forced him out of a third-floor window during Mao’s Cultural Revolution.

Besides improved legal rights, there has been social progress. The Chinese now refer to can ji ren, or people with disabilities, instead of can fei, the handicapped and deficient.

Last week the Great Wall and Beijing’s Forbidden City were made accessible to wheelchairs for the first time, with lifts and barrier-free tourist routes. But disabled people are still regarded with curiosity bordering on disdain. The manual reminds volunteers that they should not sit in someone’s wheelchair just to satisfy a personal interest.

Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson, Britain’s greatest Paralympian with 16 medals, recalls how people in China pointed at her and jostled to take her picture. She was asked how it was possible she had mothered a child because she was in a wheelchair.

“Treatment of disability is a problem, but the Paralympics will do more to change attitudes than anything that has happened in China in 10,000 years,†she said.

The presence of a special guide denotes progress, according to Mike Brace, the chairman of the British Paralympic Association. “It’s a clumsy attempt to override years of limited awareness. It’s not ideal, but up to seven years ago, they might not have acknowledged disabled people at all.â€

About 4,000 Paralympians will compete in 20 sports in Beijing this September. Britain is sending a team of 200 athletes who will be trying to close the gap – on China.

Despite its record for descrimination against the disabled, China topped the table in Athens with 63 gold medals. The next most successful nation, Britain, managed 35.

FromAdvice to Oklympic volunteers

"Some physically disabled are isolated, unsocial, and introspective. They can be stubborn and controlling; they may be sensitive and struggle with trust issues. Sometimes they are overly protective of themselves, especially if called “crippled†or “paralysed†"

"When you make eye contact, do not fuss or show unusual curiosity. Never stare at their disfigurement. A patronising or condescending attitude will be easily sensed, even for a brain-damaged patient."

"Often the optically disabled are introverted. They seldom show strong emotions."

Source: Skills for helping the disabled

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4009610.ece

:D:D:D

FromAdvice to Oklympic tourists

"Some communists are isolated, unsocial, and introspective. They can be stubborn and controlling; they may be sensitive and struggle with trust issues. Sometimes they are overly protective of themselves, especially if called “pinkos†or “commies†"

"When you make eye contact, do not fuss or show unusual curiosity. Never stare at their 1950's styles. A patronising or condescending attitude will be easily sensed, even for a brain-washed worker."

"Often the communist are introverted. They seldom show strong emotions."

Source: Skills for respecting the communists

Well, it seems the IOC really made a good decision in going with Beijing. I'm all for equality and all that, but some places are not ready to host the Olympics.

Well, it seems the IOC really made a good decision in going with Beijing. I'm all for equality and all that, but some places are not ready to host the Olympics.

I hear ya. Just saw on the news that now even students have to leave Beijing. While most of them come from provinces hundreds of kilometres away, and have nowhere to go. I'm starting to feel something for the idea of state leaders boycotting these Olympics (though that's unlikely to happen).

Don't see what equality has to do with it, Japan has already hosted the olympics, it's not like it's some white-only conspiracy. Any country can host it as long as they meet the requirements of a desirable host country, and this kind of stuff, like you said, doesn't cut it.

My sister is in Korea right now and she can’t believe how racist they are towards blacks. A friend of hers (who is black) visited my sister in Seoul and during her visit she was name called, refused entry into bars and questioned by security guards at several Seoul shopping areas. In fact my sister’s employer (company that hires foreigners to come teach English) proudly admits that they will only hire Caucasians.

My sister is in Korea right now and she can’t believe how racist they are towards blacks. A friend of hers (who is black) visited my sister in Seoul and during her visit she was name called, refused entry into bars and questioned by security guards at several Seoul shopping areas. In fact my sister’s employer (company that hires foreigners to come teach English) proudly admits that they will only hire Caucasians.

Listen to the NPR story on Korean english teacher-hiring, which is blatantly discriminatory. It's very disappointing to hear how the parents of the children learning English speak about who they "prefer". And they say it with such ease, you'd think they were listing groceries rather than condemning and entire race of people. It's really sad how people just fit themselves into the hierarchy and don't try to question it. Funny you should bring this up, as I was reading a blog the other day by a black American who lives and works in Korea. This is the blog, if you're interested: http://metropolitician.blogs.com/ To be fair with Asia, most of the blogs I've read of people living in Japan haven't complained of anything to this extent. And to also be fair, Korea never pulled off this s&#! when they had the olympics.

Anyways, back to the Olympics. Great job creating a good image for yourselves, Beijing! That's the way to impress on the world stage. That's how to show yourselves as a modern society.

China is one messed up country.

MOD:
Watch the language. The word has been toned down while still reflecting the poster's opinion.

My father is now teaching English in a northern industrial city in China, and I have a cousin teaching English in South Korea. Part of this is that parents want to see "native English" speakers teaching English, in their minds, white Americans, Canadians, Australians, and Britons. Non-white teachers, if they are accepted, are often paid less.

Not always. In the NPR story I mentioned above, the parents said that black people were "scary" for their children.

Not always. In the NPR story I mentioned above, the parents said that black people were "scary" for their children.

I read the article. I am telling you what I heard from family actually there.

Even Canadian/American Han Chinese in China are less sought after or paid less for the same work than white teachers from the four countries above (and New Zealand), even if Han Chinese are fluent, flawless English speakers. It's a mix of "fear" racism and the expectations that whites from the Anglosphere are the best teachers.

Back